Menu

Wanna help us find a new dog name?

Tap

We are all super excited!!! I am adopting the dog in the pix. Her name is currently the same a the girl next door, so we need to change her name to avoid confusion. LOL 

Pup is a Golden-doodle about 19 months old. She is mid-size, cream color with hazel colored eyes. Very energetic but in a happy, curious sort of way. Supper sweet!! Loves getting pets/scratches. Not a barker or skittish.  I like lots of names and styles which makes it super hard to choose. I like short, easy, clear command names like Lucy (the current contender), happy names like Sunny or Peaches, names that have nick names like Ginger/Gini, classics like Gracie, fitting names like Hazel, the unexpected like Tabitha,  and traditional human names like Annabelle (Annie for short).  I do like a strong, short name to use when you want brevity like calling her back at the dog park. 

I am compiling a list and then I am going to present it to the family and have every one cross off the 'don't likes' and see what is left. LOL  5 peoples opinions will go into this. Lets see if we can all agree on one HaHa!

From the pix I recieved, it looks like they usually have her shaved and then let her curls grow out. Here are 3 pix that show her coat. She looks like a sheep dog in the last one. LOL I will keep her in a puppy cut.

honey shaved.jpg

Honey .jpg

Honey long coat.jpg

Edited by Tap
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Storygirl said:

Congrats!! She looks much like my doodle, whose name is Winnie.

I love (!!!) the name Winnie but have a niece named Winter/Winnie. I don't think the parents would be happy with me. Ha Ha! 

I also can't use Dixie (DD21 has it reserved for her next pup). 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Toby!

Great name! Super cute and has a happy sound to it. Do you think it works for a girl? I like boy names for girls, and honestly it doesn't matter. Ha Ha. I was thinking about naming dd21 Ryan when she was born, but didn't want the confusion. In our area, it is now used more for girls than boys. LOL

Edited by Tap

What is her current name?  I think it might be easier to accustom her to a new name if it sounds something like her old name?  Or maybe that's cats.  When I've had cats that responded to a name, we've had to be pretty careful to scaffold a new name to the old one.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terabith said:

What is her current name?  I think it might be easier to accustom her to a new name if it sounds something like her old name?  Or maybe that's cats.  When I've had cats that responded to a name, we've had to be pretty careful to scaffold a new name to the old one.  

I think that’s true.  If the  name is known and she has had good associations with it then similar to current might help.

Sandy

Maisie 

Daisy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terabith said:

I don't really want to say. There are home schoolers in my neighborhood and I don't want to completely out myself. The girl's name is not usually used for a person's name, but very common for pets, so it will be really obvious. LOL  It would be like having a girl named Lassie. 

It has an --ey on the end. I think that is why I keep going with similar sounding names. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think that’s true.  If the  name is known and she has had good associations with it then similar to current might help.

Sandy

Maisie 

Daisy

Daisy is on our list already. I will ad Maisie. She could totally be a Maisie. LOL

7 minutes ago, Kebo said:

She looks like a Daisy.  Or Sophie, Ruby, Roxy, Kiki. 

We think alike. LOL

Daisy and Sophia/Sophie are on our list. 🙂 DD recently had an issue with a Ruby, but I have wanted to add it. I may ask dd about the idea of using it. 

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

I really like the way she looks in the middle picture... fur neither short nor sheep dog. 

Me too. I like the curls....just not quite as long as the the mop look. LOL 

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

5 hours ago, Tap said:

I don't really want to say. There are home schoolers in my neighborhood and I don't want to completely out myself. The girl's name is not usually used for a person's name, but very common for pets, so it will be really obvious. LOL  It would be like having a girl named Lassie. 

It has an --ey on the end. I think that is why I keep going with similar sounding names. 

When adopting a new pet and changing names we generally try to go with something that sounds fairly close to the original name, too. I'm partial to dog names that end with the long "e" sound. They roll off the tongue so easily when calling the dog. And I've found that no matter how simple the name is we end up with tons of nicknames, too.

Congratulations, and keep us posted on how it goes!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

When adopting a new pet and changing names we generally try to go with something that sounds fairly close to the original name, too. I'm partial to dog names that end with the long "e" sound. They roll off the tongue so easily when calling the dog. And I've found that no matter how simple the name is we end up with tons of nicknames, too.

I agree. I figure dogs learn all kinds of nick names and respond to them, so hopefully she will too. She seems very smart and alert. My daughter's dog responds to Little Foot as much as its real name. She didn't care for the name but was a rehome from a relative, so dd didn't feel she could change his name. You know how nick names develop. They just kind of happen over time.  Our dogs growing up were the same. I am sure they already have some nick names for her, I should ask when we go there today. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Junie said:

You could name her Mopsy. 😉

9 hours ago, MercyA said:

My favs are Sunny, Peaches, and Daisy, although Snookums was the first thing that popped into my head. 

52 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Lucky

I vote for something along these lines, because I don't really care for normal human names for pets. Boring, lol! And then there's a name everyone likes that can never be used for grandkids, bc it was the dog's name 😄

We always check other languages for potential names as well, just because Sucre might be a bit more fun than Sugar or you can use a description that doesn't work in English, like energetic is Genki in Japanese. 

I considered haughtily advising you not to use my dd's name, but honestly she'd probably be thrilled to have a cute pup share her name 🐶😄

• Like 2

I keep a list on my phone of possible names for future dogs. Weird, I know lol

For female dogs:

Zuzu

Macy

Gypsy

Maggie

Hm, that's all I have that are definitely female. I guess I plan on male dogs in the future. My list of male names is much cooler 😛

We have a Daisy already, but friends of ours named their female Maisy.

My kids suggest:

Penny

Lily

Bunny (? lol)

Maddie

Libby (for Liberty)

Poppy 

Pepper

Roxie

Historical names: Ellie for Eleanor Roosevelt, Cleo(patra), Janie (Jane Austen), JoJo for any Josephine, Frankie for any Francis, Shelley for Mary Shelley, Jenny (Ginny) for any Virginias, oooh: Simone...how's that for classy? lol, Nellie (Bly), Eddie for Edgar Allen Poe, Georgie (Georgia?) for George Eliot (or Washington or Bush, whatever lol)... 

Your new dog looks super cute! Our neighbor has a labradoodle that coincidentally woke me up before 8 today but I'm blaming that on our neighbor, not on the dog. He's Teddy and the historian in me HOPES he's named for Teddy Roosevelt but it's probably b/c they let their 9 year old name him. We've also known a Peppa (named because she was a snorty puppy I guess). 

8 minutes ago, sarahbobeara said:

. He's Teddy and the historian in me HOPES he's named for Teddy Roosevelt but it's probably b/c they let their 9 year old name him.  

You might enjoy the fact that my kids named two kittens Justinian and Theodora when they were about 9 😄

• Haha 1

I like Sunny, Ginger, and Lucy. It looks like you're already considering two syllable names but I just want to say that I like those best. One syllable names don't roll of the tongue as easily and more than two can be too much.

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

If it's a dog I agree. I don't know how much difference it makes with cats. Our shelter cat was called Ruth (named by shelter volunteers) and we didn't like that at all. In addition to my above mentioned preference for two syllable names, she just didn't look like a Ruth. She is Crookshanks because ds was still reading the HP series at the time we adopted her.