Menu

running in a socially distanced group - what do you think?

EmilyGF

In the past, our church has had groups of women that ran together 3-4 times per week.

I really need exercise and I really need to connect with people. What would you think about running with a group, so long as we keep at least 6' away from each other? We would be in a place with good air flow - along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Emily

12 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

In the past, our church has had groups of women that ran together 3-4 times per week.

I really need exercise and I really need to connect with people. What would you think about running with a group, so long as we keep at least 6' away from each other? We would be in a place with good air flow - along the shore of Lake Michigan.

Emily

From what I've read, the trouble with running with others (or even a crowded place with lots of runners) is the person behind them goes through the other's 'wake'.  Next to each other would be better, but then it's hard to stay 6' apart.  I don't wear a mask when I go out to exercise, but I go alone and cross to the other side of the street when I pass anyone else, which is not often.

I bought a mask that was meant for people who exercise where there's pollution in the hopes that I could wear that if I wanted to exercise where it was more crowded - I was thinking of it if I wanted to go cycling on the bike trail...

1 minute ago, EKS said:

I would not run in a group, especially if it will be in single file along a narrow path.

I would run with a partner though assuming that we could position ourselves so that we are each breathing fresh air.

This is more of what I was thinking. There is a path, but there is also about 30' of grass that people often run on. Right now, the potential group is 2 people as the group disintegrated!

I wouldn’t do it.  

I’m fine with socially distanced gatherings, and I’m fine with exercising outside, but the combo is pretty unsafe IMO.  I’d do a sedate socially distanced gathering and for any activity that involves heavy breathing outside of the household group I’d take care to be alone.

• Like 2

Instead of meeting to run, could the same group meet outside to talk about running? Go over goals, talk about what routes or parks you've run the past week, ask questions, motivate each other. Maybe have a common challenge that people can adapt. That part could come first and be somewhat organized, probably have someone leading the discussion, and then those interested could stick around for casual (physically distanced) visiting. 

Idk. My instinct is to say no unless it’s a small group (2 or 3), but my son’s XC team is going to start summer practice soon and I’m letting him participate. The mental health piece of all of this is so huge.

Presumably you know the other people you’ll be running with and can assess how responsible they will be in a group. I hope it works out for you. 

• Like 1

I run. But, there is no chance of me running with a group right now. I have the same opinion on socially distanced biking as well because what I have seen of it is that it is mostly people in a single file due to suburban layouts in my area.

Just now, mathnerd said:

I run. But, there is no chance of me running with a group right now. I have the same opinion on socially distanced biking as well because what I have seen of it is that it is mostly people in a single file due to suburban layouts in my area.

Yep. This is why I bought a mask for possible biking - not that I've actually done it yet, but i wouldn't feel comfortable without one on a busy bike path (and I also don't want to bike on the road - less risk of covid, but way higher risk of being hit!)

For my family, we're comfortable walking, hiking and running with one other person who is on the same page in terms of distancing. That means we're next to each other, not one behind the other, and staying 6 ft apart or more. If there are other people coming we distance much more than that, often getting off the trail or sidewalk entirely. It's easier to do on a beach or quiet road than on a path, and a crowded path is a hard no for me right now. We're also not going in groups of more than two, if it includes someone outside our household, because it's hard to be aware of a bunch of different people.

We haven't had issues maintaining distance as described above in our area, so we don't wear masks. If we lived in a more crowded area or had a family member at particular risk I'd search for less crowded streets or parks, and look into options for exercise masks.

I have an extroverted, athletic teen who just graduated from high school, and really struggled with losing all the events and socializing of senior year. That probably encouraged us to try options for outdoor distancing earlier than I would have tried it on my own. For her mental health she really needs to get outside, be active and see people. She also had Covid toes so she may have a bit of immunity. We're not really counting on immunity, though, since so much is unknown, so she always masks on the rare occasions she's indoors, and keeps generous distance outdoors.

There are a few people we've stopped trying walking or running with because they didn't distance as much as we do, but it's been doable and fun with people who are equally mindful of it. In my area, most are masking and distancing, and I must admit it gives me hope to go out for a walk, give others space, and exchange greetings. People greet each other even more now, as if to make clear that the distance is only physical, and there's a feeling of graciousness and respectfulness about it.  

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I wouldn’t do it.  

I’m fine with socially distanced gatherings, and I’m fine with exercising outside, but the combo is pretty unsafe IMO.  I’d do a sedate socially distanced gathering and for any activity that involves heavy breathing outside of the household group I’d take care to be alone.

Yup. 

And yet my area has had indoor gyms, with no masks, open for weeks. Go figure. 

• Sad 1

There may be new advances in masks available soon  where you can get pretty good protection, breathability, and coolness ...

And there are some face shields now that use Velcro to sit forward from face instead of tight against forehead...  

which might be useable at a reduced speed ... 

and if whole group used mask / shield — maybe...  ?  Especially if just you and one other 6-10 feet apart? 

However, group of runners , or unmasked, seems unwise 

Afaik Cross Country season was cancelled locally because of high risk issues. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

This is more of what I was thinking. There is a path, but there is also about 30' of grass that people often run on. Right now, the potential group is 2 people as the group disintegrated!

I would do partner over a group 🙂    Go early (as most runners do) and it will be much emptier.  Enjoy!!!

I am higher risk but my COVID anxiety is low- for reference. 

I am NOT a runner bit a walker.  In a group of 2, side by side, outside, spaced 6+ feet apart, I would go for it.   I have been doing walks like this all along.

Are there any known cases of transmissions from one running partner to another following these guidelines?

There are just so many health...physical and mental...benefits that I would go for it with a partner.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

If the 'group' is 3 people (you + 2 others), I would do it. 

OK, so I think I'm going to be running 3x a week with one other person. We're going to be on a 30' wide lawn area where we can be 6' apart. Mainly we're going to be running together in order to keep each other accountable. The geography means we will have lots of air flow and the time (and location) means it should be reasonably empty. If not, we can give up. But with these guidelines, I think we're going to give it a try.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

OK, so I think I'm going to be running 3x a week with one other person. We're going to be on a 30' wide lawn area where we can be 6' apart. Mainly we're going to be running together in order to keep each other accountable. The geography means we will have lots of air flow and the time (and location) means it should be reasonably empty. If not, we can give up. But with these guidelines, I think we're going to give it a try.

Given that I certainly would give it a try.