Menu

readers for OPGTR

Elizabeth86

I believe they suggest Bob Books! There were a couple of other reader series that they recommended, but I recall having trouble finding them at the time.

The WTM book recommends getting all the way through the reading program before starting spelling and grammar. I don't think that's a bad idea--when we brought my younger kid home from the charter school, she seemed to be struggling with spelling. It turned out that she was struggling with reading, not spelling. Once we brushed up on reading skills (lots of read-alouds) most of the spelling issues went away.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

I believe they suggest Bob Books! There were a couple of other reader series that they recommended, but I recall having trouble finding them at the time.

The WTM book recommends getting all the way through the reading program before starting spelling and grammar. I don't think that's a bad idea--when we brought my younger kid home from the charter school, she seemed to be struggling with spelling. It turned out that she was struggling with reading, not spelling. Once we brushed up on reading skills (lots of read-alouds) most of the spelling issues went away.

Oh yeah, see I can get on board with this advice regarding grammar and spelling.  I am asking for my cousin who is just starting homeschool this year with her first grader.  She lives in KY and according to the law you have to teach certain subjects, spelling and grammar were two of the subjects.  I would tell her to just skip it if it weren't for this, BUT I'm not sure how to get around it.  From what I understand no one will be following up, but I don't know  I don't live in KY and it's not done like that in my state, so I don't want to give her advice that isn't good advice.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Oh yeah, see I can get on board with this advice regarding grammar and spelling.  I am asking for my cousin who is just starting homeschool this year with her first grader.  She lives in KY and according to the law you have to teach certain subjects, spelling and grammar were two of the subjects.  I would tell her to just skip it if it weren't for this, BUT I'm not sure how to get around it.  From what I understand no one will be following up, but I don't know  I don't live in KY and it's not done like that in my state, so I don't want to give her advice that isn't good advice.  

Gotcha. Well, I went and double-checked the ol' WTM and I was misremembering. Here's what it says about spelling: "You can begin spelling once the student has learned all of the consonants and vowels and can sound out three-letter short vowel words; it's fine to wait until blends and long vowels have also been covered." (p. 69 in the 4th ed)

They do recommend beginning grammar in first grade, using First Language Lessons, which is taught orally by the parent in year 1 and 2 and transitions to workbooks in year 3--so the student doesn't need to be reading confidently to do the grammar lessons.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Does OPGTR suggest certain readers? If not do you have any suggestions?  Also, is there a certain point in OPGTR that you should get to before adding in spelling and grammar?

You can order a book of decodable booklets from most big name school publishers. They typically go K-2 and seem to offer the widest range of phonic based reading for early grades. You can get readers that feature shorts vowels, digraphs, consonant blends, long vowels, 2 syllable words etc which will go further in scope with OPG than a lot of other readers that I know of.

You can get them on Amazon or Ebay for pretty cheap.

My kids infinitely preferred Nora Gaydos and I See Sam books over Bob books, which they didn't like.  Miss Rhonda's Readers were great.  And the American Language Readers (K level, starts with Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp, etc....my kid that struggled with reading LOVED these, and they really helped her turn a corner.)

There are no specific readers suggested.  We've just used whatever we had-bob books, progressive phonics (really short silly paragraphs we found online), hooked on phonics...  Eventually we moved on to level 1/level 2 readers from the library.

I think TWTM suggests waiting to start spelling until half way through OPG (which is about 1st grade for us).  We start spelling and grammar (FLL) in 1st grade.  We just start super easy spelling words-in fact, I take spelling words (or even sentences) from the first lessons of OPG.  I found that spelling helped to reinforce the reading.

We use the All about Reading readers along with OPGTR.  My kids prefer those to Bob Books.

For "spelling" we start with Explode the Code workbooks which my kids use a bit behind OPGTR.  They reinforce encoding the words the child is learning to decode by showing a picture, for example a hat, and then having the child choose and circle the correct letters from pairs: d or h       a or u         r or t
We then start AAS 1 when the child is comfortably reading Frog and Toad level books.

As for grammar, my kids would mutiny if I tried to force them through FLL.  Instead we read The Sentence Family, listen to Grammar Land, and just informally focus on parts of speech, punctuation and capitalization through copywork and narration in K and 1st.  Then in 2nd they start Daily Grams and we do a thorough study of punctuation.

• Like 1