Menu

How do you use language notebooks?

One of the things I need to improve next year is my organization. I want everything to be ready and functional when we start up for the year.  I am wondering how you all use language notebooks. Do you keep them running from year to year so that all the information is in one place?  DD10 will begin studying Latin this year. She will also be learning French. My goal for French is to attain a level that would allow her to obtain a bilingual job in our country. 

Should I treat Latin and French in the same manner for notebook set-up? If you don't use a language notebook at all, what system do you use? I am also planning to start informal French for DS6 and DD7. Theirs will be more informal and focus on listening and speaking. Should they start notebooks as well? They don't have much grammar study so maybe we could just have a tab for nouns for their notebooks.

2 hours ago, lwest said:

One of the things I need to improve next year is my organization. I want everything to be ready and functional when we start up for the year.  I am wondering how you all use language notebooks. Do you keep them running from year to year so that all the information is in one place?  DD10 will begin studying Latin this year. She will also be learning French. My goal for French is to attain a level that would allow her to obtain a bilingual job in our country. 

Should I treat Latin and French in the same manner for notebook set-up? If you don't use a language notebook at all, what system do you use? I am also planning to start informal French for DS6 and DD7. Theirs will be more informal and focus on listening and speaking. Should they start notebooks as well? They don't have much grammar study so maybe we could just have a tab for nouns for their notebooks.

I can't help for your older but consider mini books for your youngers. My kids like to illustrate them and we keep them together in a binder so it's still easy to flip through for review.

• Thanks 1

For foreign language, my kids have:

- a non-consumable textbook

- a consumable workbook designed for the textbook

- A vocab notebook which also includes conjugations.  This notebook is very simple, just pages split into 2 columns with vocab in one and the translation in the other.  The vocab is just thrown in as they lean it, and DH assigns them pages of their vocab book to review on a rotation.  

My only suggestion as a French speaker is to have gendered nouns written in two different colors, for example blue for masculine and pink for feminine.  To this day I regret not memorizing gender with greater attention from day one.  You can carry this a step further and put verbs in green, but the nouns are the real trouble-makers where colors would be very helpful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

For foreign language, my kids have:

- a non-consumable textbook

- a consumable workbook designed for the textbook

- A vocab notebook which also includes conjugations.  This notebook is very simple, just pages split into 2 columns with vocab in one and the translation in the other.  The vocab is just thrown in as they lean it, and DH assigns them pages of their vocab book to review on a rotation.  

My only suggestion as a French speaker is to have gendered nouns written in two different colors, for example blue for masculine and pink for feminine.  To this day I regret not memorizing gender with greater attention from day one.  You can carry this a step further and put verbs in green, but the nouns are the real trouble-makers where colors would be very helpful.  

What a great suggestion! You've given me a whole new idea for Spanish for my 8yo next year.

• Like 1