Menu

Diastasis Recti—Have you healed from it? How?

hs03842

I had an amazing PT after baby number 4. I realized I had DR after number 3, but number 4 happened before I could do anything.

I followed up my PT sessions with the MuTu system.  Now I use Strong Like A Mother for regular workouts, because she has intense workouts but coaches breathing and pelvic floor/core awareness for everything.

my DR was about 5 fingers and really deep.  Now at rest it’s a 2-3, but when I’m focusing for an exercise it’s down to a 1.

I used Mutu and closed the gap considerably, but did not "heal" it.  I ended up needing abdominal hernia surgery and the doc explained certain tissues do not shrink back.  I can't remember which ones, bu I think it was the linea alba in particular.  So in other words, maintaining a closed gap takes daily maintenance for life because the LA is going to remain lax.  The linea alba can't take the strain anymore because it is loosened, so the abdominal muscles need to assist.  

I really like this article- https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/08/07/541204499/flattening-the-mummy-tummy-with-1-exercise-10-minutes-a-day  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kand said:

Did you go through all levels of mu tu? Is strong like a mother a more advanced program? I’ve had a mu tu membership for years in years, but I never stick with it for long enough. I always do squats, but that’s the only thing I’m consistent with.

Yup, I went through all levels of MuTU, and I still do some the core work 3-4 times a week.  Strong Like a Mother is definitely more advanced - more full body workouts.  She just coaches you through each workout keeping core and pelvic floor concerns in mind.  She also has a program called Core Basics included that's a great DR workout as well.