Menu

What's with the ads?

mlktwins

Keeping track of hours and calendar question

My boys are finishing 9th grade.  Neither kept up with their school calendar this year (drives me nuts), but they say they don't want/need to.  They both got awesome grades this year so it didn't seem to matter that they didn't keep up with the calendar.

For tracking hours spent, I'm not worried about math, writing, literature, and history as they have/are completing the entire curriculum for those subjects.  Spanish and Biology were outsourced so didn't track those hours either.

For Health and PE, they tracked their hours spent swimming/working out and the hours spent researching nutrition, and we have one or two more books for them to get through and discuss.

For Photography, we are tracking hours spent watching videos, reading photography books, and actually doing photography.

I'm a calendar girl and it drives me crazy they don't write down that they did each day or what is due -- LOL.  

I think I should let it go, right?  They don't miss their deadlines.

But...next year we are adding a 3 outsourced class to the mix so will have Spanish 2 Honors, 1 year US Government and Politics, and Connie's Chemistry.  Would this change your opinion?  Math is video-based (VideoText Geometry) and we are starting it in July.  That leaves writing, literature, Health/PE/Driver's Ed, and and at least 1 elective for me to make sure gets done.

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Spanish and Biology were outsourced so didn't track those hours either.

I'm a calendar girl and it drives me crazy they don't write down that they did each day or what is due -- LOL.  

But...next year we are adding a 3 outsourced class to the mix so will have Spanish 2 Honors, 1 year US Government and Politics, and Connie's Chemistry. 

Your boys are going from two outsourced classes to three. That’s only one more. Since they did well in 9th, I won’t worry about tracking hours or what is due. I would track if they look like they are going to fall behind on deadlines. For example, I do track mildly for DS14 because he has a habit of dawdling just because he has nowhere to rush to, and he isn’t the best at following deadlines. He is spending summer finishing up his work from spring semester.

For DS15, I just take note of exam days as he is a night owl and my husband who needs to drive him to the exam hall tends to be tardy. So have to nag DS15 awake and get them out of the door.

I would prep the household materials for lab due to current COVID19 situation, having made countless trips to the supermarket to buy stuff like salt (we don’t use salt in cooking), baking soda, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol (70% and 90%), ammonia. Think the household material list is included in the MicroChem kit box. 

39 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Your boys are going from two outsourced classes to three. That’s only one more. Since they did well in 9th, I won’t worry about tracking hours or what is due. I would track if they look like they are going to fall behind on deadlines. For example, I do track mildly for DS14 because he has a habit of dawdling just because he has nowhere to rush to, and he isn’t the best at following deadlines. He is spending summer finishing up his work from spring semester.

For DS15, I just take note of exam days as he is a night owl and my husband who needs to drive him to the exam hall tends to be tardy. So have to nag DS15 awake and get them out of the door.

I would prep the household materials for lab due to current COVID19 situation, having made countless trips to the supermarket to buy stuff like salt (we don’t use salt in cooking), baking soda, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol (70% and 90%), ammonia. Think the household material list is included in the MicroChem kit box. 

I will still be keeping my calendar with important due dates, just to make sure -- LOL.  I may also have them send me an email at the beginning of the week telling me important due dates for the week just so I know they are thinking about it.  I really don't have to worry much though.

Thank you so much for the prep for household materials.  I have 2 textbooks and the lab box.  I will open that up and make sure I get everything we need - especially since it starts in August.  This is great information.

16 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

.  I have 2 textbooks and the lab box.  I will open that up and make sure I get everything we need - especially since it starts in August. 

You are supposed to open the lab box and check if any materials are missing ASAP. I didn’t do that for the physics kit (HOL Science) until more than a month after I received the kit but they mailed me the missing items anyway.

If your boys are using Google calendar or Microsoft OneNote, they can always share with you instead of emailing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

You are supposed to open the lab box and check if any materials are missing ASAP. I didn’t do that for the physics kit (HOL Science) until more than a month after I received the kit but they mailed me the missing items anyway.

If your boys are using Google calendar or Microsoft OneNote, they can always share with you instead of emailing.

Thank you.  Will check today 😬.  We haven’t had it that long.

i should have them figure out and set up one note - that will keep them busy for a few minutes 😂.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mlktwins said:

But...next year we are adding a 3 outsourced class to the mix so will have Spanish 2 Honors, 1 year US Government and Politics, and Connie's Chemistry.  Would this change your opinion? 

Yeah, I would be done and don't worry about it.  Four years ago, when dd18 started high school, I did the whole hour-tracking/recording every little thing we did and honestly, it really stressed me out.  I also realized that I was making decisions based on how it would look on her transcript or course descriptions.  It's like I wasn't teaching my kid anymore, I was teaching the transcript.    I don't do that anymore.  I just kinda "eye" it.  If I feel like it was probably a credit hour, I just give them a credit hour.  I do that with grades, too.  In TWTM, there is a section where Jessie Wise describes how she gave grades in high school - it was how much effort she felt they put into the course.  That's what I do, too.

Edited to add: And I think I was a much harder grader for high school than I should've been.  DD18 has a 4.0 GPA (and on the Dean's List) in college.  She did NOT have a 4.0 in high school.  It was like a 3.7 or something.  And that was Mommy Grades compared to college.  *shrug*

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Evanthe said:

Yeah, I would be done and don't worry about it.  Four years ago, when dd18 started high school, I did the whole hour-tracking/recording every little thing we did and honestly, it really stressed me out.  I also realized that I was making decisions based on how it would look on her transcript or course descriptions.  It's like I wasn't teaching my kid anymore, I was teaching the transcript.    I don't do that anymore.  I just kinda "eye" it.  If I feel like it was probably a credit hour, I just give them a credit hour.  I do that with grades, too.  In TWTM, there is a section where Jessie Wise describes how she gave grades in high school - it was how much effort she felt they put into the course.  That's what I do, too.

Edited to add: And I think I was a much harder grader for high school than I should've been.  DD18 has a 4.0 GPA (and on the Dean's List) in college.  She did NOT have a 4.0 in high school.  It was like a 3.7 or something.  And that was Mommy Grades compared to college.  *shrug*

Thank you for this!  Something I needed to hear right now 🙂 !!!

20 hours ago, Arcadia said:

@Arcadia Thanks for the reminder about checking the lab kit.  All accounted for and I have the list of supplies we need on hand that I don't have.  Going to have the boys copy the lab pages so they each have a copy :-).  That will keep them out of trouble for a little bit -- LOL.

Connie’s chem class is so well organized, all you have to do is print material as she opens units up. The cover page will list everything your boys need to do for the unit and you can “check” those boxes as they go along. 

Some kids like calendars. Others don’t. You design the courses to meet the credit requirement. I personally keep a planner where I jot down daily work because I feel more organized that way, not because I need to.  

• Thanks 1