Menu

college courses that are not self taught online courses

My dd has taken two college courses through Taylor (Psych and Econ) that were basically read the text and pass the test courses.  No interaction from the prof or discussion with classmates.  Because of this, I don't think she learned a whole lot even though she had a big interest to begin with for both courses.  

I'm looking for recommendations for college courses she can take that offer more than what she experienced with Taylor.  Unfortunately the CC near us is offering more online classes in the fall because of COVID.  She is resigned to the fact that her classes will have to be online but is looking for more interaction.

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 48820592 said:

Unfortunately the CC near us is offering more online classes in the fall because of COVID. 

Do you have any universities close to you? DE doesn't have to be at community college. 

It's probably going to be a bit of a crap shoot anywhere, though, because a lot of professors are new to the online method. Ideally you would find a course that was actually planned for online. I know there are a couple of universities that do online classes that high schoolers anywhere can sign up for, but I'm blanking on the names. 

• Like 1

Your DD would probably get a lot more interaction with other students, and possibly also from the Instructor, in many MOOC courses.  What is Taylor? There is more to most courses than simply passing the Final Examination. When my DD was in TTUISD they had a way for students to do that, but it wasn't called a course. It was called something else and was a way to test out of a course. My DD is studying now, to try to test out of the first course in a foreign language she wants to take.

ETA:  Online courses are like in-person courses. There are outstanding Instructors and there are terrible instructors.  Begin with reading reviews. If there are no reviews of an individual course, read reviews of the school and send them questions about how the course works.

Edited by Lanny
add ETA

Have you checked with the local CC? The online classes at our local colleges that were supposed to be in-person but are now online still have required zoom meetings at least twice a week. Only the classes that would always be 'online classes' have no weekly meetings.