Menu

I need fans.

Carrie12345

The room-cooling kind, lol.

I’m looking at tower fans, which seem great for small rooms with lots of kids, but I’m wondering if that’s any help at all for top bunk kids.  I could probably get clip on fans for up there, but that makes me reluctant to spend the extra money on tower fans if they aren’t going to help the whole room.

Any experience/reviews?

• Haha 1

We've had a oscillating fan (the tower kind) and they are nice.  We also have had the smaller fans that sit on top of a desk or dresser.  As long as the air is moving it would help.

But, I just bought this off Amazon.  Haven't had a chance to test it yet so  I can't give it a review for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085RGPYJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see it is unavailable, but there are several similar ones on amazon.  

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

I 100% vote pedestal fan. I want that air moving. A comparable pedestal fan is going to cool more square feet than a tower fan, and I don't think a tower fan is going to help those top bunk kids at all. 

If floor space is at a premium, you can get wall-mounted fans that have the same big blades as pedestal fans, like so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, katilac said:

I 100% vote pedestal fan. I want that air moving. A comparable pedestal fan is going to cool more square feet than a tower fan, and I don't think a tower fan is going to help those top bunk kids at all. 

If floor space is at a premium, you can get wall-mounted fans that have the same big blades as pedestal fans, like so.

Their rooms are about 110-120sf, so there’s pretty much no floor OR wall space, lol.
I do have a pedestal fan in *my room but, even in that much bigger room, I’m constantly stubbing my toes on that darn base!  The tower fan I’m eying has a 62* “turning” radius, which I don’t think is much different from mine, but maybe I’ll have the kids check and call it school, lol.

37 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Their rooms are about 110-120sf, so there’s pretty much no floor OR wall space, lol.
I do have a pedestal fan in *my room but, even in that much bigger room, I’m constantly stubbing my toes on that darn base!  The tower fan I’m eying has a 62* “turning” radius, which I don’t think is much different from mine, but maybe I’ll have the kids check and call it school, lol.

Tower fans are like the promise of air, like a lil' preview of actually cooling down 😄

• Haha 1

There are individual 6” fans that dual operate battery/plug in that my kids have used in top bunks, but in our experience, pedestal fans are the way to go...especially in tiny bedrooms that get so stuffy. People don’t care about them taking up floor space if it makes the room comfortable. The only way I would feel differently is if we are talking about little kids...and then I think you should pay to install ceiling fans.

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Put the pedestal fan in their room and get the tower fan for you 🙃

5 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

You can get a ceiling fan in a cage, otherwise a ceiling fan in a 120 square food room with a bunk bed and active kids seems like a bad idea.  

I wasn’t able to multiquote for some reason.

My boys have never been great with the ceiling fan in the living room, and that’s on a vaulted ceiling. Stuffed animals have whacked it a few times. One of my sons once talked about spinning around on it and, after having a serious talk, I still watched him like a hawk for weeks, just in case!  

This is really supposed to be the last summer in these rooms, so I don’t want to deal with an electrician.  We’re either moving, or building an addition and, if we build an addition, those rooms are becoming a utility room and part of the kitchen. (There’s no ceiling electric in either room right now. One has a floor lamp and the other has a hanging light that’s chained to a wall outlet. I can’t remember what that’s called.)

11 hours ago, katilac said:

Tower fans are like the promise of air, like a lil' preview of actually cooling down 😄

Yeah, we bought an oscillating version a couple years ago. Even if we could actually sit right on top of it, we would barely feel a thing. It really is useless.

It’s possible ours is simply a super crappy fan, but it’s a name brand and was surprisingly expensive. I’d go with the traditional box fan; otherwise a powerful ceiling fan or something you can hang. Since space is a major consideration, can you stick a box fan in the window instead of on the floor?

eta I just read through the thread. Obviously the ceiling fan idea doesn’t sound like a good choice right now. 😞 

Edited by MEmama

I like the ones that mount in the window and have two fans. You can set them to blow in, out, or one of each. I like one of each for movement and air exchange.  It’s nice that they take zero floor space. 

https://www.target.com/p/basic-window-fan-holmes/-/A-11153980?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Home%2BImprovement%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Home%2BImprovement&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9007837&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&ds_rl=1247068&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5JiJ6--b6gIVzZyzCh1P7wDDEAQYAiABEgLaR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Something like this could be mounted to the wall . . . maybe even in the hall outside the room if it would take up less space and cause less trouble there 

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-4091/Warehouse-Fans/Workstation-Fan-12?pricode=WA9658&gadtype=pla&id=H-4091&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI09r_hfCb6gIVs-y1Ch0dug5HEAQYASABEgIqg_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by KungFuPanda

I have one of those tiny desk cube fans that a little ice and or water goes into to help cooling. It makes quite a bit of difference.  Especially set so that it blows at body height to cool person rather that trying for whole room

Even more difference is made by an ice pack thingy. 

FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack (Standard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PG75QJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Or both together. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pen said:

I have one of those tiny desk cube fans that a little ice and or water goes into to help cooling. It makes quite a bit of difference.  Especially set so that it blows at body height to cool person rather that trying for whole room

Even more difference is made by an ice pack thingy. 

FlexiKold Gel Ice Pack (Standard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PG75QJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Or both together. 

That's what i have too.

@Carrie12345 i wanted to review the one I linked.  I would say it is very ice at blowing *cool* air- just not real strong.  My main issue is that this particular model is noisy.  That may not be a problem for you, but for me I won't be able to use it at night to sleep.  

I would say for less than $50 it is worth it to give this type of fan a try. 

Edited by PrincessMommy