Menu

Homeschool Philosophy Statement

So I'm filling out an application for a language class scholarship for dd for next year, and it is asking for our homeschool philosophy.

Oi. So we are classical homeschoolers who like math and science (or at least we were in middle school). I know I need to explain "classical homeschooler". I keep choking on the "Truth, Virtue, Wisdom" explanations I'm finding. Because wisdom + 15 year old kind of makes me laugh (although she is a mature, well-spoken 15 year old).

She says we're non-conforming, academic unschoolers, but I think I missed that memo. So how do I say all that in a pretty-and-not-alarming-to-teachers way?

I can hardly wait for college apps. 🤪

• Haha 1

Out of “non-conforming, academic unschoolers” I like something like “we wanted the freedom to follow interests” for the non-conforming/unschooler part, and then talk about academic values/goals.  “Strong academic foundation” sounds good.  “Prepared to....” 

It sounds like you have homeschooled for academic reasons. You can say why or how.  Or if there was something you saw you didn’t like and that you wanted to do differently.

Or you could say you are just very interested in academics and wanted to do them deeply and with the opportunities that come with 1:1 discussion and class design.

Maybe?

• Like 1

We've kind of already said those things- the question is "Why did you choose to homeschool this student and what is your homeschool philosophy." No problem for the "Why" part... but I know this isn't the last time I'll need to explain the "philosophy" part.

Our philosophy is that self-driven academic excellence, an understanding of the world
(scientific, cultural, political), and a generous community-minded spirit will combine to
produce an individual with the aptitude and determination to make a positive contribution to
society. We value a respect for science and scientific thinking as a path to knowledge, a love of
learning, an admiration for clear communication and persuasion, an innovative
entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to give back.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, daijobu said:

Our philosophy is that self-driven academic excellence, an understanding of the world
(scientific, cultural, political), and a generous community-minded spirit will combine to
produce an individual with the aptitude and determination to make a positive contribution to
society. We value a respect for science and scientific thinking as a path to knowledge, a love of
learning, an admiration for clear communication and persuasion, an innovative
entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to give back.

I like that you focus on the qualities you want to instill rather than the philosophy of education.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

I like that you focus on the qualities you want to instill rather than the philosophy of education.

It's my understanding that this is more what they are looking for when they ask about philosophy of education. Most people (even schools) couldn't care less about classical or Charlotte Mason or unschooling, they just want to know what you focused on.

• Like 1