Menu

Pre-Algebra for anxious kid

DD is going into 7th grade next year. She is an anxious kid in general and math really kicks the anxiety into high gear. In the past, she has done Math Mammoth (too many problems on a page), Horizons (can't remember why it didn't work for her it was so long ago) and now she has been doing Teaching Textbooks for a while. She did Level 6 and is getting towards the end of 7 right now. She is still having trouble because - actually, I don't really know why. It may be a confidence issue. I'm actually a math teacher, but this girl has me stumped.

Any ideas for Pre-Algebra? I'm happy to have her spend as much time as she needs on it - probably 2 years to make sure her skills are solid before Algebra.

Horizons Pre-Algebra looks good, but I'm seeing lots of bad reviews of it. I looked at MM's new Spiral skill workbooks and it's just too much for her.

Help!!!! LOL

I switched my DD to Christian Light in 7th grade and it was the best decision that I have ever made for her.  The summer prior, I used the three skills workbooks that they sell to get her caught up on skills she might not have covered ( https://www.clp.org/store/by_course/170 )  and then started her on 701 when she finished.  This program covers pre-algebra over two years and it is very incremental, only introducing a tiny bit at once and then having them doing a few pages of review a day.  It was so perfect for her.  It did take a little while to adjust to because their scope and sequence was a little different than what we had done already.  But she is very well prepared for Algebra 1 now.  It definitely built up her math confidence and solidified her skills. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scbusf said:

I was just looking at CLE! Thank you for sharing your experience. I also think it might help having the smaller book with the formulas right there with the problems.

The workbook format was wonderful and it’s split into 10 workbooks for the year which gave her a real sense of accomplishment each time she finished one. I also bought the laminated math charts and let her use them any time (tests included). Eventually she memorized what she needed but having access to the charts took the pressure off. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

CLE is what I use (and love) for my child with anxiety and ADHD. She began CLE in 2nd grade and is now beginning 6th grade. It works perfectly for the way her brain thinks. It is a lot of baby steps with continual review. She feels solid and successful with math. In fact, she’ll now tell you it’s her favorite subject. We’ll definitely plan to continue with CLE through Algebra 1.

My DD15 used MM through 7th/Pre-Algebra then switched to live online math classes (Wilson Hill Academy), but that path would NOT have been a good fit for youngest/anxious child.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...