Menu

Florida COVID trends

cintinative

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

This might be the wrong thread for this, but since there are several Floridians here...What in the world is this all about?
https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/30/desantis-kills-online-learning-program-amid-virus-resurgence-1296178

Well, he's terrible, so there is that?

My only hope is that there is some other program that will function in the same way? I actually had never heard of this program, and now I'm looking and really interested in it - only to have it go away?

• Like 1

@MEmama, the part that is weird is that he just voted to increase teacher salaries (the state's pay rate was far lower than many other states). This seems somehow inconsistent with that?  https://www.flgov.com/2020/06/24/governor-ron-desantis-signs-historic-teacher-pay-increases-into-law/  Of course, long term teachers are wondering what will happen with them as the new teachers will be paid close to what they are making. =(

• Like 1

Just now, cintinative said:

@MEmama, the part that is weird is that he just voted to increase teacher salaries (the state's pay rate was far lower than many other states). This seems somehow inconsistent with that?  https://www.flgov.com/2020/06/24/governor-ron-desantis-signs-historic-teacher-pay-increases-into-law/  Of course, long term teachers are wondering what will happen with them as the new teachers will be paid close to what they are making. =(

There is supposedly money included to increase pay for veteran teachers as well. 

The Complete Florida program looks like it is run by one university, who may have been skimming money or misusing it, so maybe that is the issue? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

My city already doesn't have money, so no you can't have it all. Solutions where you live aren't solutions everywhere. There is no actual way for these places to afford to have parking enforcement on every street in every beach city,  and that's what it would take. Also, the main tourist cities here are not the cities that are seeing outbreaks right now, which lends credibility to the whole being outside, even on a crowded beach, isn't so dangerous.

People need to stop insisting they know what's best for everyone and every situation.  

Gracious.  Sharing what's going on here, an early hot spot that was badly hit and is only now starting to get things under control, is NOT insisting that one size fits all.

One size definitely does not fit all. What is true, everywhere, is that all approaches entail tradeoffs.  In health outcomes, in financial costs, in inconvenience, in personal liberties. That it sucks, doesn't make it less true.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

16 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I meant actually closing gates to parking areas, etc....that doing that or physically barricading off a parking lot takes less manpower than trying to station a person there to check every person's ID, etc. 

A carpark was shut near here recently because the popular trail nearby was too narrow for social distancing. All the visitors parked illegally in the nearby village, obstructing traffic on the medieval streets. They walked the trail anyway, even though there are wider trails nearby. 

18 hours ago, Acorn said:

I know this is a Fl thread, but I don’t think of these beach trips as a safe outdoor activity. I figure most people shop and eat and call that their beach trip. 
Who thought a 90 person high school trip from Oh to SC was a good idea?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna184995

I'm in Ohio. A *LOT* of people, especially in rural areas, still honestly believe that the whole Covid "thing" is vastly overblown. It's seen as a city problem & an old person problem. I recently had a medical assistant (from a rural area) tell me that she thinks masks are unnecessary & that people just need to wash their hands..."it's not like the clerk at WalMart is going to get this, for heaven's sake".

And mass amounts of people from here vacation at Myrtle Beach & FL (in fact, the MA who gave the above quote just came back from Myrtle Beach). And they're still going.

God help us. Humanity is working on extinguishing itself through it's own willful stupidity.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 6
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

I'm in Ohio. A *LOT* of people, especially in rural areas, still honestly believe that the whole Covid "thing" is vastly overblown. It's seen as a city problem & an old person problem. I recently had a medical assistant (from a rural area) tell me that she thinks masks are unnecessary & that people just need to wash their hands..."it's not like the clerk at WalMart is going to get this, for heaven's sake".

And masses amounts of people from here vacation at Myrtle Beach & FL (in fact, the MA who gave the above quote just came back from Myrtle Beach). And they're still going.

I am seeing this in my area (suburb of Cincinnati) as well. And my family was one that just went to FL (because dh would not consent to stay home. I stayed at my brother's the whole time instead.). I don't really get it--it is as if when they started reopening everyone thought that meant the virus was gone. And there are people here that want all the best practices removed as well (no masking or distancing requirements inside businesses), etc.   I don't want our hospitals to be overwhelmed. I wonder what will happen if they are--will people believe them? I have found it to be the strangest and most discouraging reveal of people's thought processes.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

People are confusing what is legal with what is safe. We have had an uptick in cases here and we are currently under a guideline discouraging gatherings of more than 50 people. I keep hearing people dismiss concerns with statements like "if it is less than 50 it is fine" or "I don't know why they are saying it caused an outbreak because it was less than 50". I'm not even the most cautious and it is driving me crazy that people seem to think that just because there is not a law, that things are safe. 

And then there are people that just still don't believe it. I was talking to someone the other day who said of friend of hers says she has it but does not believe the friend. She thinks the friend is lying? This particular person straight up does not believe that people that test positive actually have it. She isn't referencing the asymptomatic people that get tested for some other reason and come up positive but have not been sick. She simply thinks  "they" are lying and telling sick people that it is Covid. And that people that say they have Covid are lying. It makes my brain hurt. Sure some attention seekers are probably saying they have it. But a general conspiracy that all these people aren't really sick. ??? 

I keep hearing stories of people that went to church, went to parties, etc. after they tested positive. But I guess if you don't believe it, even after you test positive, then why stay home? 

So, yeah, we are screwed.

• Sad 10

4 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

I keep hearing stories of people that went to church, went to parties, etc. after they tested positive. But I guess if you don't believe it, even after you test positive, then why stay home? 

So, yeah, we are screwed.

But then why get tested, if you don't believe it? So confusing, lol. 

4 minutes ago, kand said:

It’s utterly depressing. I went down a rabbit hole I shouldn’t have this morning, reading replies to the surgeon general’s statement that everyone should wear a face mask and that doing so will help us keep moving forward and keep things open. People are so unwilling to either believe science or to do something for the benefit of the greater good if they don’t feel it personally benefits them. They would rather believe conspiracy theories than actual facts and science. I came away feeling as you say above. We still have the ability to get on top of this, but willful, stubborn ignorance is going to leave the United States decimated by this in a way no other developed country will be (and worse off than a lot of undeveloped countries as well, from the looks of it). 😢

Same. Except in my case,  it was responses to a Gospel Coalition article promoting masking.  I am so grieved and discouraged.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, kand said:

It’s utterly depressing. I went down a rabbit hole I shouldn’t have this morning, reading replies to the surgeon general’s statement that everyone should wear a face mask and that doing so will help us keep moving forward and keep things open. People are so unwilling to either believe science or to do something for the benefit of the greater good if they don’t feel it personally benefits them. They would rather believe conspiracy theories than actual facts and science. I came away feeling as you say above. We still have the ability to get on top of this, but willful, stubborn ignorance is going to leave the United States decimated by this in a way no other developed country will be (and worse off than a lot of undeveloped countries as well, from the looks of it). 😢

You're absolutely right. This really could turn into our Suez moment, if it hasn't already.

Far too many Americans seem completely unable to deal with an external reality that won't bend to fit their their narrative.

• Like 9

My brother's family -- brother, SIL, niece, niece's husband, and their two young daughters -- are driving from Ohio to Florida for a vacation next week. My sister asked them if they were aware that cases are spiking in Florida, and they said they don't care, because the whole thing is a political hoax. I might expect this of my brother, but I'm surprised that the rest of them also think this way.

My greatest worry is that I know they will not stay distant from my 86 year old dad when they return from their trip.

• Sad 13

A local Facebook group had a post with someone asking about vacation plans.  More people than I thought still had plans to travel to Florida and the responses were full of "we can't live in fear forever" and "life has to go on".   We've only had restrictions for a few months.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kand said:

I went down a similar rabbit hole recently, after seeing some of the nutso responses to SWB's post about masks. I clicked on a few of the crazier posters and looked at their FB pages and followed various links. The experience was both enlightening and terrifying. 

One "story" that is getting passed around a lot is that an unnamed nurse at an unnamed hospital in San Francisco became suspicious that 100% of CV tests were coming back positive, so she sent in 2 totally blank tests, which also came back positive. So she told all the other nurses, and they also sent in tons of blank tests, and they all came back positive. This scam allows hospitals to list all of their patients as Covid patients, so they can collect an extra $15,000 (per patient) from the government, and the actual numbers are vastly lower, and people aren't really getting sick.

The death numbers are also vastly lower than claimed, because everyone who dies is being listed as Covid, and my [brother-in-law's cousin's nephew / friend's neighbor / daughter's friend's uncle / etc.] really died because of [a car accident / cancer / fell off a ladder / etc.] but "they" listed Covid as the cause of death and "they" refuse to take it off the death certificate. It's really no worse than the flu, and hardly anyone has really died of it.

It's a scam by vaccine makers to make billions of dollars and the government will force everyone to get vaccines, which will [insert microchips / include other dangerous chemicals / sneak in vaccines for other diseases / etc.] which will make it so the gov't can track us with 5G towers and/or make us too sick to resist government control and/or make us too sick to work therefore bringing about a total crash of the global economy. And the vaccine is being manufactured by Johnson & Johnson, which put "asbestos" in their baby powder for years to poison babies.

"They" are trying to force us to wear masks in order to make more people sick, so it looks like more people have Covid, because masks cause breathing problems and also cancer! Apparently cancer is caused by low oxygen and masks cause low oxygen so they are trying to give everyone cancer because that makes money for hospitals and drug companies. 

But also herd immunity is the only way to deal with this minor not-a-pandemic, so everyone should just catch it because the disease is actually way less dangerous than masking or getting a microchipped vaccine.

🤬

Edited by Corraleno
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 5

22 hours ago, MEmama said:

This might be the wrong thread for this, but since there are several Floridians here...What in the world is this all about?
https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/30/desantis-kills-online-learning-program-amid-virus-resurgence-1296178

Looks like there was an auditing problem found this past year?

florida has a huge online learning system called FLVS.  The program he cut was something else.

• Like 1

How does shutting down the global economy benefit anyone?  The Powers That Be need people working to continue making their money.   

The vaccines $$$ should be a non-starter because they SHOULD come out with price controls but we're seeing that may not happen, so I guess that has some logic behind it at least. 

27 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Can someone explain to me how this is all going on and Disney is reopening in 10 days?  

Which Disney?  I thought the California reopening had been put on hold, and the Florida one has already been open for a while?

ETA: I googled.  Looks like it just felt like everything in Florida had already opened, lol...  they also need to put that on hold, I'd think...  but what do I know...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

State: 14.5% positive, 9,558 new cases
Orange County: 16.7% positive, 555 new cases

Once again, I am confused. The news media is reporting 10,109 cases.  They (FL GIS) post the numbers at 11 a.m. Do they give them to the media earlier?

ETA: didn't look at the ArcGIS yet, but the article I read indicated less new cases for Broward than what you are stating for Orange, which is new, isn't it? NM--their numbers were really off from the GIS--according to the GIS Broward had 954 new cases. 

Edited by cintinative

12 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Once again, I am confused. The news media is reporting 10,109 cases.  They post the numbers at 11 a.m. Do they give them to the media earlier?

ETA: didn't look at the ArcGIS yet, but the article I read indicated less new cases for Broward than what you are stating for Orange, which is new, isn't it? NM--their numbers were really off from the GIS--according to the GIS Broward had 954 new cases. 

mine are from the department of health summary report, http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/county_reports_latest.pdf

• Like 1

re close-but-not-exact number counts

27 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Once again, I am confused. The news media is reporting 10,109 cases.  They (FL GIS) post the numbers at 11 a.m. Do they give them to the media earlier?

This isn't FL specific, but day-over-day tallies depend on the exact hour you're doing the tallies.  I've been running a daily national count over on the Politics board since March 8, and starting around mid-April Nate Silver also starting doing a daily roundup based on the same underlying data set.  He does his at 5p and I do mine right before going to bed, more like 11p.  And they're always close but they're never exactly the same, because we're each doing day-on-day at slightly different times, while the data is coming in by the hour.

So the data catches up in the next cycle, *pattern* holds, and the shape of the graphs are the same, but the exact tallies at any moment in time are slightly different.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Sigh. The reports you post, do those get updated when the numbers do?

I don't know if that exact link will update automatically, or if you need to go to the main page, and then click on the report? This is the page I use to get to the reports. I use  the county report - it has the state info and the county info. I screen shot the part to click on, you have to scroll down a bit, past the map and the link to the dashboard. https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 1.04.04 PM.png

• Thanks 1

state: 11,445 cases, 14% positive

Not sure where this data is pulled from. Tallahassee Reports graph of hospitalizations. It doesn't include yesterday's data (yet). "The chart below tracks the daily hospitalizations and provides a 7-day average trend line based on cases reported by the Florida Department of Health (DOH) through July 3rd."

HOSP0703.jpg

• Sad 2

And there are still people willingly choosing to go there on vacation! Someone I know posted they are there right now.  I  mean, I know that tourism is a major industry, but I can't help but feel this will increase spread.

Edited by cintinative

On 6/30/2020 at 9:16 PM, Acorn said:

I know this is a Fl thread, but I don’t think of these beach trips as a safe outdoor activity. I figure most people shop and eat and call that their beach trip. 
Who thought a 90 person high school trip from Oh to SC was a good idea?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna184995

Oh that’s horrible!  I think of beach trips as driving 10 minutes to our nearby beach, hanging out for a couple hours, and going home.  

• Like 1

I'm dropping into this thread.  My beloved Sounders FC just left for Orlando.  To participate in the risky MLS is back tournament.  They are trying to create a bubble at Disney sports complex.  My understanding is that resort workers are able to come and go.  And of course testing and temp checking isnt going to catch every case.  One team has had 10 players test positive but with the high false negative it would seem like they should be assuming more have it and pull out.  It's all about the money and contracts the league needs to do something to fulfill it's obligation to ESPN and Foxsports.  Praying it's not total disaster.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, rebcoola said:

I'm dropping into this thread.  My beloved Sounders FC just left for Orlando.  To participate in the risky MLS is back tournament.  They are trying to create a bubble at Disney sports complex.  My understanding is that resort workers are able to come and go.  And of course testing and temp checking isnt going to catch every case.  One team has had 10 players test positive but with the high false negative it would seem like they should be assuming more have it and pull out.  It's all about the money and contracts the league needs to do something to fulfill it's obligation to ESPN and Foxsports.  Praying it's not total disaster.

That was FC Dallas. I wouldn't hold out much hope that the Houston Dynamo is going to be much better, or Orlando City or Inter Miami, or... They'll probably have to postpone the whole thing or have just the Canadian teams play. What a bummer! Dh was looking forward to MLS and MLB. We had our orange tee shirts all ready.

1 hour ago, chiguirre said:

That was FC Dallas. I wouldn't hold out much hope that the Houston Dynamo is going to be much better, or Orlando City or Inter Miami, or... They'll probably have to postpone the whole thing or have just the Canadian teams play. What a bummer! Dh was looking forward to MLS and MLB. We had our orange tee shirts all ready.

I saw after I posted that they delayed Dallas's first game already.  I want to watch new games but not at risk to players and others.  I mean the players are mostly low risk though one of our stars is diabetic.  But the team staffs are in their 50's and 60's and as likely as anyone to have conditions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

State: 15% positive rate, 9,999 new cases

Orange County: 14.2% positive, 760 new cases

But hey, Disney is going to be opening up, that should help, right?!?!

Is Disney still planning on opening? I haven't been following that.  I get that they would be hurting financially if they didn't, but how do you control liability in that scenario? 

5 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Is Disney still planning on opening? I haven't been following that.  I get that they would be hurting financially if they didn't, but how do you control liability in that scenario? 

Honestly, Disney is so diversified, I'm not sure how much the theme parks are actually vital to their bottom line.  I mean, they own ABC, the rights to all the Marvel and Star Wars movies, now Disney streaming, not to mention all the actual Disney movies.  And I think they've got their finger in a lot of other pies as well...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Yup, still planning to. 

And our Governor says schools should be full open as usual to help the economy. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, cintinative said:

They're still planning to open July 11th. I thought it was the 15th but I just looked it up. Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom open the 11th. It's a phased reopening so not all parks will open at once. Epcot and Hollywood Studios are opening on the 15th so maybe that date just got stuck in my head.

Some of the resorts started opening and parts of Disney Springs opened already.

OTOH, the college program which was originally suspended until fall is now on hold indefinitely. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

What excuses?

I"m only half listening while it's on in the background but he's basically saying the testing is backed up and you'll see positives but hey, no need to worry. Because old people.

ETA: He's moved on to social distancing and is saying be careful. I don't think he'll close anything back down or give a mask mandate. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Edited by Lady Florida.