Menu

Introducing the Internet

I think we are open to the idea of our eldest looking things up on the internet.

What browser and/or parent controls would you recommend to prevent accidentally stumbling onto inappropriate things? 

Is there a course or guidelines on how to teach internet searching? I remember reading a thread on this ages ago that mentioned tree octopuses, but can't find it now. 

Any other suggestions or heads up before venturing into this very new territory with him?

Heh, if you google "tree octopus," the first link is now to the Wikipedia page identifying it as a hoax. But it's maybe still worth discussing the study with your child! I just talked about it with my daughter recently.

One recommendation I have is the book Good Pictures, Bad Pictures. I don't know how old your child is, but they seem to have developed a "junior" version as well. It's about the science of p**n addiction and teaches children the skills of how to look away and inform an adult if they do accidentally stumble on something. You're supposed to be able to do it as a read-aloud with the child over a few days.

• Like 1