Menu

WTM online Chemistry: "wet" lab?

hi, I'm new here. have homeschooled for seven years but returning to do high school.

Daunted by chemistry and lab science.  Can anyone speak to the value (perceived, actual, college admissions--already admitted vs currently applying, etc.) of WTM chemistry and lab for college credit--or if anyone has been given a hard time in admissions?   thank you.

Are you are asking if colleges will accept it to meet the high school lab science requirement for admission? I think that is what you are asking? 

I have never had any college ask for more information about science labs. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that a school would ask for more info but the vast majority of the colleges will see it on the transcript and accept it without further inquiry. If a college did ask for more info I would expect you could provide a description of the class and a sample of a lab to satisfy them. 

*standard disclaimer that my kids did not apply to super competitive schools

Not many colleges require specifics about high school labs.  Arizona State requires a signed statement that lab courses included weekly labs and also wants a written example of a lab for each course.  You can find info on the ASU website.  Most colleges just want to see the classes on the transcript; some require a course description.

My oldest son just graduated from high school and was accepted to lots of competitive colleges this last spring. We had two different lab sciences that we used "homeschool providers" for. His AP Physics C class was done with an online provider similar to WTMA, and none of the universities had any interest in details beyond what I provided in my course descriptions. His Biology was just a local, in-person homeschool class with labs, and, again, no one asked for more details.

All of his chemistry coursework was done through dual enrollment at the community college, so I can't comment on WTMA specifically, but based on our just completed admissions experiences, no one is going to bat an eye as long as you describe what is covered and mention that labs were performed (a list of labs would probably also be a good idea) with the class in your course descriptions. If you feel the need for more outside validation of the coursework, you can have your child take the SAT subject test in Chemistry after completing the class. If you work through a prep book (Barron's or Princeton Review) throughout the year and cover the topics in the same order as the WTMA class, you should be ready to go for the exam at the end of the year. Good luck!