Menu

If you had a lot of NWT kids' clothes to donate...

easypeasy

Long story, but I have a substantial amount of NWT kids' clothes to donate and I'm not sure where is the best place for these items. These are all higher-end clothes in baby sizes through tweenager, some women's sizes and some men's as well. 

My original thought was a domestic/women's shelter, but I have a couple boxes of young men's clothes and I'd prefer to donate it all at the same time. Do women's shelters house teenage sons as well? Maybe that would still work?

I don't want to just goodwill them - want them to go straight to the source. I just can't quite figure out where would be best?

Any suggestions?

Edited by easypeasy

Note in the Pocket is an organization near me that ensures that kids have school clothes that fit, so I'd give everything in size 5 and up to them (and anything smaller to Catholic Parish Outreach, which outfits babies through preschool kids).

If you don't have something similar, I'd see if your local foster care or homeless assistance agency would take them, or see if a church has a closet.

• Thanks 1

I’d go toward foster or all ages homeless shelter if they exist in your area (some areas don’t let kids into homeless shelters).  Foster kids can need adult sizes.  And both tend to have large numbers of many size people.  Women’s shelters may not have as much need for particular sizes and the clothes may sit to where even though NWT it is out of style and especially for the age group who will care, not as special any more. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Another option. Is a foster care closet.  They would LOVE teen boy clothing as well. But yes, at least in our area, women's homeless shelters also have teens living with mom 

We have one of these here. It's a nice place that provides clothes and other necessities to foster families. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Another option. Is a foster care closet.  They would LOVE teen boy clothing as well. But yes, at least in our area, women's homeless shelters also have teens living with mom 

I'll check locally to see if we have something like this 👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

I'll check locally to see if we have something like this 👍

👍 as a former foster parent, I know this could be a huge help to some kids.

There are clothes stipends usually/often, but they tend to be very meager. A lot of foster kids feel “less than” already, and some nice clothing could mean a lot!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michelle Conde said:

Even if your area doesn't have a foster care closet, you can probably drop them off at the local DHS office and they can give them to foster families who need them.  Our area doesn't have a foster closet or a clothing stipend.

I will look in to this. A search in our area didn't reveal any operating foster closets - only places that accept cash donations.