Menu

Y’all. Tulsa is spiking, OK is spiking...

Scarlett

And there are 100,000 expected in downtown Tulsa this weekend.  Can we say ‘Super spreader event?’ This is what Mardi Gras did before anyone knew how serious this virus  is.  I can’t fathom why this is being allowed to happen. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 24

Is there anything you can do to prepare for the potential fall out? Like get all your shopping, errands etc done for a couple of weeks? That way maybe you can stay home until you see how it shakes out. Prepping like that would help ease my anxiety about it.

Edited by saraha
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

And there are 100,000 expected in downtown Tulsa this weekend.  Can we say ‘Super spreader event?’ This is what Mardi Gras did before anyone knew how serious this virus  is.  I can’t fathom why this is being allowed to happen. 

I'm so sorry. There is nothing that justifies this. Nothing. 

I'm spitting mad about my state agreeing to host the national convention, but we have a few months until then for people to come to their senses. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, saraha said:

Is there anything you can do to prepare for the potential fall out? Like get all your shopping, errands etc done for a couple of weeks? That way maybe you can stay home until you see how it shakes out. Prepping like that would help ease my anxiety about it.

I did some of that on my home from work....I stopped and picked up some grocery items that ran short when the shut down first happened. Dh and I have our first hair appointment in 4 months scheduled for Saturday. We decided we would go ahead with it while everyone else is downtown spreading the virus.  And we probably won’t go again for 4 more mo this or more.

To be clear Dh works downtown Tulsa, but we live nearly an hour away.  But it is close enoigh to make me very very nervous.   

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

I know. I just got off the phone with the pastor's wife and told her we'll be playing hooky for a while.

Well, thankfully we are still just doing Zoom.   Don’t think we will be back in the building for 6 months more at least.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, saraha said:

I'm sure this must be very stressful!

It is like I am living in the twilight zone.  I had two customers in today who were both very upset about it.....but then I go to WM, with my mask, and maybe 10% are wearing masks.  I wanted to scream, ‘ what is wrong with you people!’  It felt it would not be well received.  Then I ran into two young men I know, dss19 friends....and dss19 had just told me he was going to hang out with them....we have just now started allowing this.  Dss19 has been locked down with us for the whole time....anyway,  neither of these guys had on masks either... before I got out of the store dss19 had shown up, helping buy things for them to cook at home tonight. I was pleased to see dss19 in a mask....

it is just insanity all around.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

It is insanity.

Of course, one could argue that it is no more insane than packed-together unmasked protestors (of any political stripe), packed-together unmasked beachgoers, bargoers, restaurant-eaters, rioters....did I miss anybody?

I'm just struck by the hubris of it all. It has been so long since our culture has been at the mercy of nature (for anything other than a short-term, local event, even a very destructive one), that many, many people still really believe - & act - as if we are the ones in control of this situation.

ETA: I posted in this other thread about the family-&-friends-only Covid webinar I was able to attend in mid-May. I didn't share there (& won't here, as predictions can too easily be wrong) his prediction of total loss of lives in US by the time the ball finally starts slowing down with this bug (which will be due to herd immunity & a virus), but I do now believe that his prediction of a huge 2nd wave of serious illness and death this fall is, most unfortunately, going to be true. In no small part because of the mass decisions being made by many to blow the whole effing thing off. Like this virus is going to respect that.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Happy2BaMom said:

It is insanity.

Of course, one could argue that it is no more insane than packed-together unmasked protestors (of any political stripe), packed-together, beachgoers, bargoers, restaurant-eaters, rioters....did I miss anybody?

I'm just struck by the hubris of it all. It has been so long since our culture has been at the mercy of nature (for anything other than a short-term, local event, even if it was a very destructive one), that many, many people still really believe - & act - as if we are the ones in control of this situation.

Right.....Juneteenth celebrations will be going on all weekend too....and I am sure protesting will happen too..... I just can’t imagine what people are thinking. I also fear for my dh’s young coworkers from India who live downtown....one mentioned going to see what the rally is like...Dh implored him to stay home.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm sorry. I'd be very concerned if I lived there. I'd also be concerned if I lived in Jacksonville, FL. It's not safe and it's not right. It's unnecessary.

I'm worried that people will come for the convention, then want to go to Orlando for tourist crap, or the beaches, etc and spread it around the state before heading home. 

• Sad 4

We've seen this denial phenomenon OVER and OVER again these last few years. In the end, some folks will be proven right WRT the worst possible outcomes and some folks will be proven wrong. I hope you are wrong. I fear you are right. Nothing has gone right thus far.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Having said that, my college aged niece tells me that she and all of her friends are requesting seats for the event, so that the crowd will be smaller and Trump will be embarrassed by the empty seat.  So, it's possible that there will be some social distancing from the empty chairs.  

Hahaha, that's cute! Well you can go ahead and tell her the bad news, that those "tickets" aren't really reservations or tickets. She just submitted her email to a massive DATA GATHERING system. The people who get in will be the people who are lined up. 

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I feel like after all the local protests there isn’t much leg to stand on for disallowing other events of the same size.  Be safe, Scarlett.

I don’t think it should be disallowed, but those planning it should care enough to at least hold it outside, to reduce the risks.

In my state, open up protests, large Christian gatherings, and police protests were all held outside. All broke gathering size and social distancing guidelines, but at least they did it outside.

Edited to add that at least based on pictures of all the events in local and state newspapers, mask wearing was much, much more prevalent at the police protests than at the other two events. But I wasn’t personally at any of them.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

I don’t think it should be disallowed, but those planning it should care enough to at least hold it outside, to reduce the risks.

In my state, open up protests, large Christian gatherings, and police protests were all held outside. All broke gathering size and social distancing guidelines, but at least they did it outside.

I thought it was outdoors! 

Uh oh. Where is it?

1 minute ago, Pen said:

I Hope the (amazing! ) seemingly lower than I would have expected number of so far seemingly positive CV19 cases in Minnesota will also apply to Oklahoma and Florida. 

https://www.wired.com/story/what-minnesotas-protests-are-revealing-about-covid-19-spread/

But I think staying away from it and your Dh’s Indian friend being careful too is the way to go. 

I’m not sure it’s comparable due to outside vs inside.

30 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I feel like after all the local protests there isn’t much leg to stand on for disallowing other events of the same size.  Be safe, Scarlett.

None of it should have been allowed.  I feel like the whole world has gone insane.  

• Like 5

Ok, I've been saying on the other thread it would be *nuanced* and here you go. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/people-already-lining-up-for-trumps-weekend-rally-in-oklahoma  If you scan to about the middle of the article, a woman is asked whether she plans to wear a mask in the rally. She's in line, way at the front, so she's fully committed, there a week early, getting in. And her answer is that she *won't know till she gets in there*. 

So boom, like I said. It's going to be a fluid situation, depending on how they look, how it's asked, what the vibe is. I think people could get really surprised. Now maybe people just won't. But I'm just assuming we'll get a surprise, something we weren't expecting.

7 minutes ago, square_25 said:

I'd be willing to bet money it won't be above 50% masked, personally. 

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I've been saying on the other thread it would be *nuanced* and here you go. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/people-already-lining-up-for-trumps-weekend-rally-in-oklahoma  If you scan to about the middle of the article, a woman is asked whether she plans to wear a mask in the rally. She's in line, way at the front, so she's fully committed, there a week early, getting in. And her answer is that she *won't know till she gets in there*. 

So boom, like I said. It's going to be a fluid situation, depending on how they look, how it's asked, what the vibe is. I think people could get really surprised. Now maybe people just won't. But I'm just assuming we'll get a surprise, something we weren't expecting.

I think they could get close to 100% compliance if they wanted to. If the speaker of the rally requested it and presented it in a political way (given that it is a political rally), I think most would comply. They’ve followed their fearless leader thus far, no reason to believe they would draw the line at wearing a mask if asked to.

• Like 6

Ok, this is just what I think, but either:

1) It's visionary. Things are better than we realize and it's time to go forward. Kinda like when Apple/Jobs withdrew the cd drives from the macs and we're like SERIOUSLY?? 

2) Trump has a trick up his sleeve, like they're all going to wear really cute masks. I'm shocked he's not SELLING them, but the fact that he's giving them away means they actually want people to wear them. He sells stuff at the rallies and he'd be selling them if it were expedient.

3) It's insane.

And you know, I'm open to all the interpretations, lol. Those are just the ones I've come up with so far. 

1 minute ago, Frances said:

I think they could get close to 100% compliance if they wanted to. If the speaker of the rally requested it and presented it in a political way (given that it is a political rally), I think most would comply. They’ve followed their fearless leader thus far, no reason to believe they would draw the line at wearing a mask if asked to.

Personally, my long shot guess is we'll see something cute by way of masks and something where they don them to say they did. I don't know. I just think it could happen. And then they'll laugh and people will do what they want.

Or maybe not. I think it's a really fine line to walk (leading vs telling people what to do in such a way that they violate their own consciences) and I'm guessing he's thought through how to handle that. Every other time he has walked up to some extreme line, it's turned out there was a pretty reasonable plan. So that's what I'm assuming for this. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Personally, my long shot guess is we'll see something cute by way of masks and something where they don them to say they did. I don't know. I just think it could happen. And then they'll laugh and people will do what they want.

Or maybe not. I think it's a really fine line to walk (leading vs telling people what to do in such a way that they violate their own consciences) and I'm guessing he's thought through how to handle that. Every other time he has walked up to some extreme line, it's turned out there was a pretty reasonable plan. So that's what I'm assuming for this. 

How would it violate someone’s conscience to wear a mask to protect others?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

https://kfor.com/news/osdh-covid-19-oklahoma-numbers-update-unavailable-due-to-technical-difficulties/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

oklahoma health department have apparently said they can’t provide an update today due to technical difficulties

“Due to technical difficulties related to data automation, we were unable to provide updated COVID-19 numbers in the normal time frame people have come to expect. The same technical glitch occurred on June 5 and was resolved in 24 hours. Updated data is now available on our dashboard at coronavirus.health.ok.gov”

Edited to add or maybe that was yesterday?  Looks like it was posted 12 hours ago?  Has it been updated again since that message?

Edited by Ausmumof3

I mean, there are already a crap ton of Trump 2020 masks being sold places like amazon.  The official campaign website, however, does not have masks on it.  

Since he came out today saying people were wearing masks, not because they care about health but to "signal disapproval of him," I'm kinda skeptical they'll be selling them at the rally.  Which seems like a dumb loss of potential revenue.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://kfor.com/news/osdh-covid-19-oklahoma-numbers-update-unavailable-due-to-technical-difficulties/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

oklahoma health department have apparently said they can’t provide an update today due to technical difficulties

“Due to technical difficulties related to data automation, we were unable to provide updated COVID-19 numbers in the normal time frame people have come to expect. The same technical glitch occurred on June 5 and was resolved in 24 hours. Updated data is now available on our dashboard at coronavirus.health.ok.gov”

Edited to add or maybe that was yesterday?  Looks like it was posted 12 hours ago?  Has it been updated again since that message?

The Tulsa County website was working for me about an hour ago.

3 minutes ago, EmseB said:

The Tulsa County website was working for me about an hour ago.

I think it make sense that it was yesterday.  I imagine if there was a sudden spike they probably wanted to double check the data for error.  At least I would.   

I completely sympathize.  Two different canidates for governor have had huge, illegal, campaign gatherings here.  Indoors sort of secret but not really held in peoples barns.  Pictures were leaked no social distancing or masks because this whole thing is a plot by the current governor😪

• Sad 3

From NYT today:

"As the campaign plans for a large indoor rally in the BOK Center, a 19,000-seat arena, the administration has been in damage control mode on two fronts. In registering, attendees must acknowledge the risk of exposure to Covid-19 at the rally and promise not to sue Mr. Trump’s campaign or the venue if they fall ill there. Mr. Parscale has ordered tens of thousands of masks to distribute, but does not plan to make wearing them mandatory. On Thursday, the operators of the arena sent the Trump campaign a letter asking for a written plan identifying “the steps the event will institute for health and safety.’’ The campaign said it was reviewing the letter, adding “we take safety seriously, which is why we’re doing temperature checks for everyone attending, and providing masks and hand sanitizer.

• Thanks 1

I don't see any reason this couldn't have been planned for outside. I'm sure outside is never ideal for something like this, but given that we're in the middle of a pandemic it seems like a more than reasonable trade off to get your fix.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Frances said:

Yes, but I don’t think that will happen, based on the stance against masking held by many people who would go there, and based on previous statements made by the speaker. 

Did anyone see the video clip of the woman who spoke at a hearing against masking and then sang “God Bless American” with the wrong word sequence? (...mountains white with foam)? I would link it but it is 100% political, so I won’t. But anyway...I expect there will be people at the rally like that woman and I truly cannot imagine someone who had made such a big stand about not masking changing her mind. The consistency bias says it’s unlikely. 

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes it was updated at 4:30 p.m. yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

I hope masks will be so appealing they’ll be widely worn, or if not that people will hum with mouths closed to show support (and increase nitric oxide) rather than shouting and spreading droplets far and wide. 

8 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

What 100,000 person indoor event, with people in place for a significant period of time, has their been?

The protests were outdoors, and i mean, those did often end in tear gas and rubber bullets, so not exactly the same thing. But there probably WILL be lots of yelling, so that part is the same. But yeah, 100,000 people, many of whom have made a strong stance against masking, all sitting in doors together chanting loudly. In a pandemic. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Unless they are strongly encouraged from the "pulpit", I don't see people wearing masks for the rally even if they are cute ones handed out at the door.   Masks ARE uncomfortable, so I don't think people who don't really believe in the benefit of them are going to make much of an effort to keep them on.  Wear them for 5 minutes as a novelty?  Sure, I could see that happening.  Leave them on for an extended time as the crowd gets excited and starts yelling?  Nope.  

And does anyone really think they are going to be encouraged?  I'm sure if they are handed out it's just going to be seen as "placating the snowflakes".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

What 100,000 person indoor event, with people in place for a significant period of time, has their been?

The protests were outdoors, and i mean, those did often end in tear gas and rubber bullets, so not exactly the same thing. But there probably WILL be lots of yelling, so that part is the same. But yeah, 100,000 people, many of whom have made a strong stance against masking, all sitting in doors together chanting loudly. In a pandemic where were still don't have plays, sporting events, etc. 

The arena capacity is 19,000.

The entire event is estimated to draw about 100,000 to the city.

Or at least those are the numbers I've consistently seen. I don't think there's any inside arena in the U.S. that comes anywhere close to holding 100,000 people!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Mayor could use his Emergency Powers to postpone the event,  but don’t think he will.  

BOK holds 19K. And I think I read they want to spill over into the civic center next door.....the 100,000 is a number I have heard that will be in the downtown area overall. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

The arena capacity is 19,000.

The entire event is estimated to draw about 100,000 to the city.

Or at least those are the numbers I've consistently seen. I don't think there's any inside arena in the U.S. that comes anywhere close to holding 100,000 people!

Ah, okay, makes more sense. I'm still caffinating, lol. 

Still, we haven't allowed events with a few HUNDRED back yet in most places, let alone 19,000. It's a terrible no good bad idea. 

The ONLY way I see masks being used by most would be if they were incredibly offensive in some way, but even then, not worn properly. I really hope I'm wrong. 

• Like 4

Looks like maybe the Mayor is trying to get them to move to an outdoor space? Running out of time though...I mean, people are already lined up in front of the BOK center. And this was concerning....I'd hoped they planned on spacing people out, but nope. Elbow to elbow in the seats.

"Oklahoma County Republican Party Chairman David McLain said Monday that the Trump campaign intends to fill every one of the venue's seats." https://ktul.com/news/local/oklahoma-governor-seeks-larger-event-for-trumps-tulsa-rally

• Thanks 1

Forecast for tomorrow is 85 degrees with an 80% chance of rain. IDK what time of day they're intending, but outdoors in Tulsa in a summer storm doesn't sound like it would work well.

It just ought not to take place, under the circumstances. Especially with a fair number of people driving in from out of state and then driving home afterward--that's a lot of risk all around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Happy2BaMom said:

It is insanity.

Of course, one could argue that it is no more insane than packed-together unmasked protestors (of any political stripe),

Everyone at the local BLM protest was wearing a mask.  I didn't see a single protester there without one. 

Police weren't wearing them, though.

And I'd guess less than 50% at the local stores are wearing them.

I wish only the irresponsible people were getting the bad cases.

• Like 11

11 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Around here I hear that almost all of the protesters are masked, and while I think that it's way too early to have indoor seating at restaurants, I've never been to a restaurant that seats 100,00 people.  

Having said that, my college aged niece tells me that she and all of her friends are requesting seats for the event, so that the crowd will be smaller and Trump will be embarrassed by the empty seat.  So, it's possible that there will be some social distancing from the empty chairs.  

I agree.  I feel like it's one thing to allow political gatherings and protests.  Whether it's the open up ones, that I disagree with or the BLM ones that I agree with, I think they should be allowed to happen.  But the government, the people tasked with getting this under control, shouldn't be encouraging it or leading it.  

There are small demonstrations and spread apart ones that are fine.  The gigantic BTLM that happened in Brooklyn or Queens that looked like it was close to 100k was nuts.  

Now about the rally---- 100k people applied for tickets, that does not mean they are all coming at all.  I think most people who did not receive tickets won't come.  I know I have been offered tickets to rallies and meetings  and I am not attending any  ( not talking about the ones where if I donate, I get a chance to meet with X, but more localized ones) ---- I am in a lady\s political club here which did have a limited luncheon earlier this month at their usual place and I did not attend.  I had attended the February one (they are always first Tuesday of the month except in Nov or if a holiday).  

5 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Scarlett, your risk will continue to increase after they leave if more local people get infected this weekend, with quiet but potentially significant growth over the next 3 weeks.

Yes this is what we are worried about.  Of course we won't be going to Tulsa this weekend, but for the next 3 weeks at least we are going to be extra careful.  Glad I am getting my hair done tomorrow!  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

There are small demonstrations and spread apart ones that are fine.  The gigantic BTLM that happened in Brooklyn or Queens that looked like it was close to 100k was nuts.  

Now about the rally---- 100k people applied for tickets, that does not mean they are all coming at all.  I think most people who did not receive tickets won't come.  I know I have been offered tickets to rallies and meetings  and I am not attending any  ( not talking about the ones where if I donate, I get a chance to meet with X, but more localized ones) ---- I am in a lady\s political club here which did have a limited luncheon earlier this month at their usual place and I did not attend.  I had attended the February one (they are always first Tuesday of the month except in Nov or if a holiday).  

I think the 100K figure is everyone downtown combined.  The rally, protesters, people celebrating Juneteenth.  

• Like 3