Menu

History of the Medieval World Lesson Plan

Has anyone used The History of the Medieval World? I'm trying to figure out a good suggested lesson plan. There are 85 chapters wtih 4 suggested activites and it feels like it'd be pretty fast to do 2 chapters a week. I bought the textbook and teaching guide but don't see a suggested plan anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used it either, but I had a look at WTMA's sample syllabus. Looks like they do 3 chapters a week in order to get through it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/189w5FrMnEt9xzNysWAVgms448B_nYnLF63fQtUimJ8I/edit

My guess would be that they don't do all 4 suggested activities for each. If I were doing it this way, I would pick the most relevant suggested activity for each chunk of 3 chapters, or invite my kid to pick the one that interests her the most.

It sure is a LOT of reading when you consider that a 10th grader is probably doing Alg II, a literature course, and a foreign language as well.

We did HotAW last year and then moved into HotMW when we finished and have pretty much kept that going over the summer. We read 3 chapters a week, they answer the reading comprehension questions and the Who, What, Wheres for each chapter and then they choose one chapter to answer the critical thinking question. Occasionally in English class they do a writing assignment on a history topic which I choose strategically. 3 chapters a week leaves a little wiggle room if we need to spread out an assignment or take a week off. We discuss the period and cons of doing the map work, but so far we have decided not to include it.

• Like 1