Menu

What's with the ads?

I'm considering having my middle schoolers (rising 8th and 6th) keep reading logs.  I originally found this idea as a page format for bullet journals, then stumbled across it again in a French language resource on encouraging close reading.  The latter had a setup of title, author, start date, etc, then had a numbered list with a 1 sentence summary of each chapter, written by the student.  

My idea is that of my students' assigned reading, they would keep a page for each book, and they could then pull from their book logs to write a paragraph each week on various cross-curriculum subjects.  

I'm trying to flesh this idea out in my mind, so if you'd like to share how you've used book logs in your homeschool, I'd appreciate it!  This would be a mixture of fiction and non-fiction books.  

My 7th or 8th graders up don't keep reading logs, but they do take notes from their non-fiction reading.  They can be simple notes to themselves of key pts or outlines or Cornell notes.  Whatever works for them.

For literature, I don't require notes.  I make suggestions of collecting key quotes or beautiful descriptors.   My girls (none of my boys) have enjoyed creating commonplace books.  They collect quotes and illustrate things that have captured a thought or their imagination.   My college sr prizes her commonplace books.  She has a beautiful collection. She had fun a couple of weeks ago looking at her very first one she created in 7th grade and appreciating how much she has grown in her appreciation of carefully phrased wording and in her art and calligraphy abilities.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

For literature, I don't require notes.  I make suggestions of collecting key quotes or beautiful descriptors.   My girls (none of my boys) have enjoyed creating commonplace books.  They collect quotes and illustrate things that have captured a thought or their imagination.   My college sr prizes her commonplace books.  She has a beautiful collection. She had fun a couple of weeks ago looking at her very first one she created in 7th grade and appreciating how much she has grown in her appreciation of carefully phrased wording and in her art and calligraphy abilities.

I absolutely love this idea. I think my girls would love doing this and it would be a beautiful keepsake to look back on. If your daughter was ok with it I would love to see some examples.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, lwest said:

I absolutely love this idea. I think my girls would love doing this and it would be a beautiful keepsake to look back on. If your daughter was ok with it I would love to see some examples.

We had seen them when we were unpacking boxes that I hadn't gone through since we moved and she had repacked them.  We pulled out some more things for a yardsale tomorrow and we saw these 3.  The first one is from about 7th grade.  The second 2 were sometime in high school.  We didn't see the ones from college.  But, these give an idea anyway. 

commonplace 1.jpg

commonplace 2.jpg

commonplace 3.jpg

• Like 3

I have mine write a sentence or two about what they read each day.  Because they’re kind of disorganised it’s not altogether on one page in one place in the book but I’m going to slowly work toward that.  I’m just building the habit of doing the writing for now.  Ds 8 tells me verbally instead.  We do it Charlotte mason style as narration.  It’s been a new thing this year for my younger two.  It also helps me get an idea of whether they’re understanding what they’re reading.

• Like 1