Menu

School prep To Do lists

Done:

• print religious education curriculum
  • buy textbooks
  • preview Analytical Grammar - We can move at least as fast as I planned, preferably faster.
  • bring old books to homeschool store for consignment
  • menu plan through January 31 October 2
  • buy school supplies for someone in need
  • prepare Spanish audio files - DH did.
  • clean out books and office supplies
  • generate Writing Revolution worksheets through January 31
  • print and post fall weekly schedule

Still need to...

• promote the general neatness

What do you still need to do?

Edited by Carolina Wren
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I'm in denial. 🙂

(and I'm still finishing paperwork for this school year so the portfolio evaluator has something to look at and the college gets the final transcript for the senior...)

I can't even think about next year yet.

Seriously! Today I've got to email the last set of transcripts for dd17's final reports for this year still. We're graduating her this month. We're still sending out announcements for her drive by graduation parade that's in less than two weeks. I've not even started putting together dd15's transcripts after two years of high school. I need to get her going on driver's ed and SAT practice on Kahn Academy. And that's just summer stuff... And I have three part time jobs in the summer. One writing at home that's hard to find time for. One consignment sale that takes a lot of time, but will be over next week, and two weeks at a summer camp, which means no writing those weeks. So, I'm not thinking if next year yet. 

The main thing will just be figuring out a schedule though. Most things I've done before and can hopefully just jump into. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 3

• finish doing Gr. 11 math course so that I am familiar with the topics and have a sort of answer key
  • make sure TT algebra is installed on a computer somewhere
  • print courses that need printing
  • buy first day of school candy and presents
  • complete notification forms for province

I have until September so I'm not really in any rush, but I am working on the math currently.

• Like 2

I spent a few weeks buying/printing/organizing stuff before we moved last week since I knew settling in would take several weeks of my attention. Today I was just writing out what’s left!

1) Read through/make notes for unit one of math per kid (new curriculum—need to decide how to teach the material) 2) Order correlating manipulatives 3) Print blackline masters/cut & organize cards 4) assemble mini books for kindergartener. 

• Like 2

Gosh I have so much to do I feel overwhelmed. Im HSing for the first time officially this fall, but plan on teaching though the summer to catch up and introduce us to the routine. I still don't have an official plan for teaching through the westward expansion over summer. I know what ideas I want, but no books or activities. I still haven't solidified the next year as far as supplemental material, and the summer math isn't working as expected. I got Math U See... DH10 hates it! I'm planning to do Khan Academy to work through missed material, as was the goal for summer. 

Also, I wanted to do TGATB Marine Bio over summer to have something for summer, bit it seems too intense for DH 10 and DH 6, so I might just read books. 

So, print daily refresher material for the summer. 

Plan history/geography for the next 10 weeks. 

Solidify math goals for the next 10 weeks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charmom3 said:

Gosh I have so much to do I feel overwhelmed. Im HSing for the first time officially this fall, but plan on teaching though the summer to catch up and introduce us to the routine. I still don't have an official plan for teaching through the westward expansion over summer. I know what ideas I want, but no books or activities. I still haven't solidified the next year as far as supplemental material, and the summer math isn't working as expected. I got Math U See... DH10 hates it! I'm planning to do Khan Academy to work through missed material, as was the goal for summer. 

Also, I wanted to do TGATB Marine Bio over summer to have something for summer, bit it seems too intense for DH 10 and DH 6, so I might just read books. 

Be sure and take a break for your and their peace of mind! If you are new to this and trying to plan a successful year for the fall, plus all of the prep that that requires and trying to teach and research materials for now, it could get quite overwhelming fast! 

I am all about doing some work in the summers too. But don't get burned out! And maybe try to take at least a vacation or a week or more off completely before you start going at full schedule. A fresh start after a break is always a refresher! 

• Like 1

Still to do:

- RR order

- Daily schedule- write it out and make it reasonable (No 17 hour school days...)

- Weekly task list template for 3 kids

- Plan writing projects (10)

- List book club books

- Reorganize school area for the new year's materials

As my dad likes to say, when you feel like you're about 90% done, you still have 90% left to do...  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Charmom3 said:

Are your kids 10 and 6 or in 10th and 6th?   If they are 10 and 6, take a deep breath and tell yourself this a long-term endeavor. Teaching from the position of "catching up" is likely to be counterproductive and only lead to stressed out kids and mom.  It is a much better approach to ignore grade levels and assume the philosophy of meeting kids where they are.  Simply start the school yr at their current level and focus on day to day learning and mastering goals one small step at a time.  

FWIW, I do not believe 6 yr olds can be behind.  I don't even start any academics with my kds until 5 or 6.  (I have never taught preschool academics.  Nothing.  My kids are unicorns in that they start K learning their letters and numbers.  They still graduate high school at advanced to very advanced levels.  Learning is not traditional school lock-step sequencing.  Kids make all sorts of leaps and bounds and equally stalling and mulling over things for a while.)  10 yr olds can master concepts more quickly than they could have at 6, so again, it is hard to be too behind.  As they master lower level content, simply progress to what they are ready for.

A far better plan for summer is to develop routines for the entire family.  After waking up, maybe have quiet read aloud time or have the 10 yr read silently while you read aloud to the 6 yr old.  Maybe play a board game or 2.  Watch a documentary.  Think about the morning rhythm and tone you want to create.

Figure out a schedule for when you are going to start laundry, plan meals, cook.  I cannot function by a clock, but we have a schedule designed around "pegs" that I have been doing for decades.  For example, the first thing I do when I wake up is throw in a load of laundry.  Doing that means I know one of my main tasks is started.  After breakfast, I work with my youngest student while older ones read/work on things they don't need me for.

I can call out spelling while cleaning the kitchen or listen to my dd practice violin (summer, so no spelling), etc.  I can fold laundry while listening to a child read aloud or again while calling out spelling.  Think through the tasks you need to do every day and start to visualize how you can make things flow and work for your family.

If they are in 10th and 6th, post and posters will help you come up with a better plan than panic and rushing to catch up.

• Like 8

Lots left to do:

Have printed and spiral binding on a few things

Read through fairy tales and pick out copywork, take notes on things to point out and talk about

Make a list and gather supplies for science each week 

clean through desk and organize

deep clean house

Make schedule for the year

Type up dictation sentences for the year

Plan field trips

Plan handcrafts and get supplies

Plan home ec. , pick out recipes for ds to make on his own

Make up some math worksheets for the first 1/2 of the year

Refill art supplies and office supplies

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Are your kids 10 and 6 or in 10th and 6th?   If they are 10 and 6, take a deep breath and tell yourself this a long-term endeavor. Teaching from the position of "catching up" is likely to be counterproductive and only lead to stressed out kids and mom.  It is a much better approach to ignore grade levels and assume the philosophy of meeting kids where they are.  Simply start the school yr at their current level and focus on day to day learning and mastering goals one small step at a time.  

FWIW, I do not believe 6 yr olds can be behind.  I don't even start any academics with my kds until 5 or 6.  (I have never taught preschool academics.  Nothing.  My kids are unicorns in that they start K learning their letters and numbers.  They still graduate high school at advanced to very advanced levels.  Learning is not traditional school lock-step sequencing.  Kids make all sorts of leaps and bounds and equally stalling and mulling over things for a while.)  10 yr olds can master concepts more quickly than they could have at 6, so again, it is hard to be too behind.  As they master lower level content, simply progress to what they are ready for.

A far better plan for summer is to develop routines for the entire family.  After waking up, maybe have quiet read aloud time or have the 10 yr read silently while you read aloud to the 6 yr old.  Maybe play a board game or 2.  Watch a documentary.  Think about the morning rhythm and tone you want to create.

Figure out a schedule for when you are going to start laundry, plan meals, cook.  I cannot function by a clock, but we have a schedule designed around "pegs" that I have been doing for decades.  For example, the first thing I do when I wake up is throw in a load of laundry.  Doing that means I know one of my main tasks is started.  After breakfast, I work with my youngest student while older ones read/work on things they don't need me for.

I can call out spelling while cleaning the kitchen or listen to my dd practice violin (summer, so no spelling), etc.  I can fold laundry while listening to a child read aloud or again while calling out spelling.  Think through the tasks you need to do every day and start to visualize how you can make things flow and work for your family.

If they are in 10th and 6th, post and posters will help you come up with a better plan than panic and rushing to catch up.

Thank you for your kind words! They are 10 and 6, and you're really reminding me to take it easy. Since my 10 year old was struggling in PS, I keep wanting to shove in as much as possible hoping it'll stick but you're right, it's a marathon not a sprint! 

• Like 1

I'm 75% done. I cleaned out the schoolroom, put everything I needed to use again for Youngest away & donated the rest, and did the end of year portfolios/record keeping.

I ordered the new stuff, and have gone through what has arrived. When I was planning and sketching out lesson plans, I realized I needed to order some more.  For the materials I am re-using, I've done everything except check the science supply kits.

I have everything sketched out, now I need to plan for a bit of magic here and there....those 'round the bits edges that really give excitement and energy to the process.  This is where I tend to NOT plan, and I'm working on doing enough prep that I can bring the magic without a lot of extra effort.  Things just tend to get too busy during the school year.

I have a huge summer list of the rest of life I'm trying to knock out.  I sealed the grout in the laundry room today (floors were installed in December) and got the trim cleaned up in the stairwell so I can finish sanding and start painting soon. My list is mostly home repairs....

• Like 1

A tricky bit of cleaning things out and the annual Dance of the Books is that for some reason, we have a lot of history books relative to shelf space, and there's no easy way to add shelf space.

Of course, there's no telling who could be responsible for an issue like this... 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 4

I’m *almost* done planning everything out for next year. But I’ve been saying that for 3 weeks now. I think I really am this time. 

Then moving on to prep work. 
1) Clean out all of last year’s work and books, store what I’m keeping, get rid of the rest

2) Organize next year’s, set up DC’s school bins, fill notebooks

3) Figure out what school supplies are needed and shop for them

4) Put together supply lists for each month for science and other projects and shop for the first month

5) Clean up school storage areas and tweak systems to make it easy to keep things organized

We start back two weeks from tomorrow, on July 6. We may or may not be home from a week long vacation by then. So.......clearly there’s some things I haven’t figured out yet and most of this list isn’t likely to happen. I also have teenagers with jobs, one scheduled for her learners permit test on the 8th, and am hosting my brother’s wedding at my house in less than 2 months. So my attempts at planning, prepping, and actually doing school this summer may not materialize as I had originally hoped. 

• Like 1

I was on a roll; now DH and I are sick. (I just got better! Ugh!) I did promote the general neatness considerably today given the likelihood I will get worse sooner than better. The kitchen floor and downstairs bathroom are clean, and I vacuumed downstairs.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

Way too much.  

I have been very productive the past week.  We are supposed to start 3 day weeks of school for the month of July (so starting next Tuesday).  I have written plans through the 2nd week in Aug for 5th grader's history, lit, and science and 9th grader's American history, American gov't, geometry, and physics.  I am actually pretty confident I'll be ready.  (2 weeks ago, I was doubtful.)  Only doing 3 day weeks for the first month has me somewhat energized for starting back.  (No way I could jump into full days/5 days/week.  I really need my summer breaks!!)

• Like 1

School itself is fully planned now, and the last of my materials on back order arrived yesterday. 

I am making headway on the house list. I am hoping to do a grand reshuffle of the house this weekend so Dh moves his home office space into our bedroom, freeing up the guest room space for younger Ds. Older Ds cannot zoom with younger Ds in the room...he is too distracting. Our house was set up for a school room only—big work table kind of environment—not for having six quiet workspaces. I am both relieved that Dh and Oldest can stay safely at home and overwhelmed with the thought of us all spending another year together like this.

• Thanks 1

Ugh. Trying to get things sorted and planned in 15 minute increments while the 5 month old baby is playing on the floor or being entertained by another kid. 

- clean out desks, sort and file papers from last year

- put last years books away

- do something about the 10 million pencils, pens and markers that are all over the place 

- uh, open the boxes of different curriculum I ordered months ago that are sitting in my hall way and find a place to put them on our school shelves

Ugh. I am SO disorganized.
For the actual planning part, I think I am just going to give DD11 a notebook and I’ll write in it each night what she needs to accomplish the next day, and divide it up between independent assignments and subjects we do together. My youngers are 8 and 5 and I can just do the next thing with each of them.  

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel like they need to be completely alone to plan / prep? 

The alone-ness is a luxury I rarely have...I know some (especially with babies) don't have that luxury.  Yet, I have anxiety over being repeatedly interrupted...that stops me from making progress on my "school prep to do" list.  My kids are even getting older; it's not as if they're constantly requesting my attention.  I just feel like I can really only dig in and make headway when the house is empty and quiet.  

I've had very few alone days this spring / summer.  So, my list is about 1/3 finished.  

• Like 2

On 7/7/2020 at 1:38 PM, bensonduck said:

For the actual planning part, I think I am just going to give DD11 a notebook and I’ll write in it each night what she needs to accomplish the next day, and divide it up between independent assignments and subjects we do together. 

I've used this method for ~3 years and it's worked really well for us.  I'm thinking of switching to a weekly format for DD11 to encourage more autonomy, time management, and independence, but I haven't been able to make that work well in the past. 

I also like the freestyle format of a simple notebook and being able to write notes at the bottom of each day's page like, "Pack stuff for XYZ tomorrow" or "2pm - Piano Lesson", etc. - little reminders that don't really fall anywhere else.  

1 minute ago, whitehawk said:

@vonbon YES. The last couple of summers, I've sent DS to one or two weeks of day camps, and DH has been at work. This summer, they are both in the house all the time, and I can't even go sit in a library or something.

I get it.  DH is working at home.  He's not a needy guy, but I just have to expect some level of interruption.  Plus, all of our homeschooling stuff is stored in his office.  He hadn't been working at home for ~2 years... so, it's an adjustment.  I know if I go in that room to sort things while he's working, we'll end up interrupting each other, even in positive ways.  🙃

By the way, your original post prompted me to make a comprehensive "prep / to do list" for HS this summer: thank you!  I guess I've made them every year, but seeing this post pop up here and there is reminding me to keep at it!  👊

• Like 1

Do All. The. Things.

I have been working full-time for the past 9 weeks. I have managed to buy all the curriculum. Well, until I decided last week to change all of our history and literature choices. So I still need to take care of buying that.

I have done ZERO planning. ZERO. My work schedule slows waaaaaay down tomorrow, so planning is next on my agenda.

• Like 1

Well, for anyone "live" here, right now, I'm going to take the next 40 minutes or so to tackle the next few items on my list.  Have to head out after that, but, 40 minutes is 40 minutes!  

Thanks for the encouragement today!  🙂  

• Like 3

Still to do:

- Discover vaccine so social activities can restart and pool can open.
- Organize English seminar - alas, on-line - and offer it to parents.

We flip our school year, taking more of a break in November-December when the weather is bearable and the holidays are in swing, so we're well into the 2020 academic year now. But we're running low on the school supplies, which go on sale about now, so time to mask up and make an HEB supplies run.

On 7/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, bensonduck said:

- do something about the 10 million pencils, pens and markers that are all over the place 

I put all the pens, pencils, highlighters, etc., etc. into a big basket, and forced everyone in the household (dh included, and me) to extract the dozen items they wanted. And I threw the rest away, without the slightest effort to determine if they Brought Me Joy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/18/2020 at 10:37 PM, lulalu said:

Lots left to do:

Have printed and spiral binding on a few things

Read through fairy tales and pick out copywork, take notes on things to point out and talk about

Make a list and gather supplies for science each week 

clean through desk and organize

deep clean house

Make schedule for the year

Type up dictation sentences for the year

Plan field trips

Plan handcrafts and get supplies

Plan home ec. , pick out recipes for ds to make on his own

Make up some math worksheets for the first 1/2 of the year

Refill art supplies and office supplies

Got a lot of this done!!! I am feeling so ready to start the year. 

Still need to pick out recipes ds can learn to do. 

Few more field trips to plan- found a cool spot but need to figure out how to the get there. 

• Like 2

Well, I finally finished last year's paperwork (final grades done, booklists/course descriptions typed, portfolios evaluated, letters and evals turned into school district, high schoolers' transcripts done/updated)...

AND

I have done The Great Migration (all of last year's school books packed up and squirreled away around the house, new books put out on each kid's shelf, work samples filed away, extraneous papers recycled).

I have begun making schedules for next year.  One child has all 175 days done (and typed up in the schedule!) in all but one subject. 

I need coffee.  🙂

• Thanks 1

OK, I did a few things today.

Brain dumped onto a piece of paper. Made a list of allll the curriculum we are using - still need to divide everything out by which kid is using what.

Made a list of books I'm still looking for - made a specific wish list on Thriftbooks and Amazon for them. I'm also going to a huge used bookstore next week.

Printed my planning forms. Cleaned out my Mom Binder. Made an appointment with my organizer friend for her to come over and help me get the homeschool room in order.

So basically .... I got ready to start planning 😅😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lulalu said:

Got a lot of this done!!! I am feeling so ready to start the year. 

Still need to pick out recipes ds can learn to do. 

Few more field trips to plan- found a cool spot but need to figure out how to the get there. 

Not sure how old your DS is, but my kids have been loving the America's Test Kitchen Kids Cookbook. HERE This is the cookbook and there is also a baking one. My 12 year old LOVES to pick out her own recipes. I buy the ingredients and she is able to do the entire thing herself.

• Like 2

Dh still has not ordered his standing desk and I am 😕 about that.  I'm not happy because that affects everyone else in the household because of how the workspaces are currently allocated. 

I spent part of this weekend talking with a state certified teacher who is going to be homeschooling her own kid.  She kept asking about correlating materials to state standards which is a common and controversial discussion point. In any event, is has sparked me to actually look at the grade level standards for my girls.  I have noticed a huge content knowledge gap since they've come home.....that interestingly corresponds to some of the issues discussed in The Knowledge Gap.   So.....lots of thinking time spent on this today. I'm going to use the same materials I have purchased and prepped, but I'm thinking a lot about discussion and presentation and making sure the foundation is solid for future learning. It's a very different approach from the strewing of books and ideas that I did with my boys (that worked well).  Those same foundation skills aren't there even though my girls are equally literate and at the same point in math that my boys were at their respective ages. 

• Like 1

I am still not there, and I only have a couple of weeks to go, but a busy couple of weeks with major projects taking up my brain power! But I need to start thinking about this. So this is not in detail or in full, but it will help me start getting it together maybe. 

1. Finish deciding exactly what courses dd15 is taking this year. 

2. print out SOTW student pages for dd6

3. print out lesson plans from Schoolhouseteachers Understanding Ancient Hisotory for dd15 and start looking through it. 

4. order first weeks of books from library for SOTW

5. look at first few SOTW projects and see what I need to get

6. clean out sandbox for SOTW archaeology project

7. read through Drawing with Children and make any printouts. Come up with a little plan for getting started on it. 

8. make a schedule of classes to try to fit it all in! (will need dance class schedule and co-op schedule before I can really do this.)

9. We are trying to enroll in a new co-op this year. I have no idea what they have on the plan, since I don't know anyone. Enrollment isn't until the end of August. So I will kind of need to see that plan for long term schedule making. I may make an August schedule, then readjust once we have that plan! 

10. Decide if dd15 needs to finish her unit study from last year before moving onto Ancient history. I am leaning towards this. 

11. make a reading list for dd15 (16 later this month!) I need to read through the Ancient history book first. 

12. put together her English plan in general. I think I will carry on with the same resources we were using, but need to put the reading list together first. 

13. order a speed drill and music book from Rod and Staff for 1st grader. 

14. I think that is it. It is mostly rereading through curricula, printing, and scheduling. My brain is not ready for it yet! 

15. one more... Look at R&S 2nd grade math, and make sure I have the manipulatives I need. I put up all of the pieces I had made many many years ago, but I need to sort through them to make sure it is all there. So I guess more curriculum reading. sigh. 

• Like 2

I'm back!  😀

I only have a few hours alone today to prep and plan...  And my list is way to big and cumbersome to post!  😏

Just wanted to pop in and say, "Hi!" to all of you fellow people in planning mode.  

I'm really going to try to focus on the basics and the most important things today (math pacing, narrowing down my literature booklist for the year, etc.) and not get into rabbit trails.  It's hard, being a Planner and an Idealist, to make a lot of progress with planning because I could just go on and on.  And still arrive at the new year without a firm plan.  

For example, I have 4 (or more) grammar possibilities.  Really, any one course of action would be good, assuming it gets done.  Best curriculum = finished curriculum.  So I'm going to try to get "real" today.  😉🥴

• Like 3

I got last years stuff put away, new curriculum opened and sorted. Planned out some stuff for DD11 and began prereading some of her literature selections.  I just ordered a couple of additional French materials for her, so once those arrive, she will be ready to begin!

DS8 has asked to learn about the Salem Witch Trials this year. It’s my first foray into creating a unit study, and I am having a lot of fun with the topic and ideas for projects and materials.  There’s a lot of science, sociology and psychology that I’m hoping we can touch upon in an age appropriate way. I’ll probably take my time with this and have him do it right around Halloween. We’ll do our regular stuff for history until then. 

• Like 2

I spent a while today cleaning up and reorganizing the bookshelf in our homeschool room... now the shelves look nice and theres crap everywhere on the floor.

Dear children, please stop taking a composition/spiral notebook, writing on 3 pages then putting it back on the shelf with unused notebooks- just tear out the used page, ok? 

• Like 1

Accomplished (some today; some last time): 

- Last year's stuff sorted, recycled, filed into "portfolio" boxes per student.

- Year-at-a-glance Calendar created; holidays and breaks scheduled; days available tallied.  (www.timeanddate.com has a great, very detailed, very modify-able calendar - free! printable! - for anyone looking)

- Math pacing, mental math / fact / skill sheets , supplemental math stuff: Planned!  ✔️  (for now) 

- History / Literature titles listed.  Listed time periods for each novel to create a mini timeline in our reading.  Hoping it generally correlates with our studies in US History.  Need to narrow down and be realistic about how many we can actually get through this year.  

- Reviewed and updated: Mission, Vision, Yearly Goals, "Outlook Inventory" (Barnhill), Course of Study, WTM Curriculum Planning Worksheets (some of these are redundant, but I feel confident and clear, now that they are done).

- Prayed about, filled in, and analyzed Excel sheets on fall quarter family commitments (in-home commitments and out-of-the-home commitments) and our Family Time Budget per day of the week.  This revealed I'm trying to do too much!!!!!!  No wonder I always feel like there's too much going on.  

- Updated and clarified List of Subjects Planned.  Again, having to focus and prioritize what is really most important vs. enrichment.

I think there's more and some of this might not make sense to anyone reading, but I think I'll leave it at that.  It's nice to know others are planning for the year ahead too.  

• Thanks 1