Menu

Growing after puberty in boys--a poll

cintinative

Growing after onset of puberty in boys  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that boys have reached puberty by age 16, did your son continue to grow after age 16?

• No, not at all
    • Yes, he continued to grow until college
    • Sort of? He only grew less than an inch until college after age 16.
    • Obligatory other
  2. 2. Did your boy do MOST of his growing before or after age 16?

• Before, definitely
    • After, definitely
    • Meh. It was about even.
    • Obligatory other.

My 3 boys did their growing after 16.  My oldest especially (which I've written about here).  In fact, my oldest 2 boys didn't stop growing until they were in their 20s.  My 19 yr old (the tallest) seems to have stopped though - but I'll wait until he's 21 to really know.

The boys definitely have a competition about this - they check every time they are together.  19yr old (the baby) is pretty proud that he's the tallest.

My son grew 1.5 inches (from 6'1 to 6'2 1/2) after he got to college, age 19.  Same scale on the wall in the same room of same pediatrician (and he outgrew all his pants), so I'm quite sure it happened.

That said, he grew 8 inches in ONE YEAR, from 5'3 to 5'11, when he was 14-15.  That was by far the greatest spurt.  His legs hurt him, he was growing so fast.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:26 AM, Tanaqui said:

My mother gained another inch or two after 16. It's not true that kids, no matter what their sex, don't grow after 16. Some do, some don't. Typically kids AMAB will have a later growth spurt and will, indeed, gain some height at or after 16.

Though it is possible that this young man did stop growing early, it's certainly not true that this is typical.

I grew my last inch my freshman year in college.

To answer the original question. My son has grown a lot in the last year. He's 17. My dh was the tallest kid until puberty and stopped growing. My oldest dd was the same as her dad. The tallest until 14 or so. My son seems to take after my side for growth. Mostly the men in my family. Although I did grow an inch at 18 I'm still only 5'5. 

Kelly

• Like 1