Menu

Unruly, stray grays

alisoncooks

I don't not mind my gray hairs, and I have no interest in coloring. I'm probably 10% gray, the rest dark brown. 

The problem: I have a lot of short, crazy grays around my temples and center part that just stick straight out/up!  Or they're zigzaggy when everything else is stick straight. I look like I'm on the path to crazy witch hair.

Have you found a way to tame unruly grays? I don't use hair product -- I have fine, straight hair.  I've thought about straight ironing the problem area to force compliance...but I'm pretty lazy.  I'd love a magic shampoo.... Suggestions?

Fine, straight hair here, and the only thing that has calmed my kinky wild gray hairs is dying. My hairdresser uses Redken's Shades, which washes out gently, so you don't get a "skunk streak" down the part. Shades adheres esp. well to the gray, smoothing it, but also making it look like you've had a highlights job. Very pretty. 😄 

• Like 3

Probably half my head has crazy hairs on it!  haha    In the summer (in humid weather) it's particular crazy.  I've found that gel works to keep it tame, or if you're a headband person, I often wear soft cloth headbands in the summer.  Also, if I can keep it down while it's drying after I shampoo it (such as with a beanie hat), it will often stay like that more easily once it's dry. 

• Like 2

No answers, but it gives me something to think about. I’m at less than 10%, but they’re picking up speed. Most of mine are perfectly “normal”, and I don’t even notice until light hits them just right, but I have had more than a few crazy ones.  So far, I’ve just been yanking those. I suppose there will come a time when that’s no longer a workable solution!

To me, experimenting with product seems like the first logical thing to do, but my fine, straight hair doesn’t much appreciate having stuff in it, and I look like a wet dog a few hours in.

• Like 1

The right product helps mine a lot. What I use during the summer or anytime the humidity is up is Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. Other times of the year I use Frizz Ease Nourishing Elixer Oil or It's a 10. I've also had very good results with Redken Frizz Dismiss line of products. Also, I've found it's very important to blow dry my hair instead of letting it air dry, particularly when it's humid. But that's true for most hair types, I think. Using a flat iron also helps smooth things a little, too. My hair is short, so using a flat iron only takes a couple of extra minutes, so it's not a big deal. But no matter what I use I still don't get as good a result as I got before the grays (sigh).

Edited by Pawz4me
fix link
  • Like 2