Menu

Do I want a food processor or a blender?

math teacher

I actually have a blender, but hardly ever use it. It's pretty hard to clean and there seems to be too much product waste. I am interested in making homemade mayonnaise and salad dressings, maybe some pesto and some hummus. I am not a smoothie fan.

Related question-immersion blender or regular. 

Well I LOVE my hand held immersion blender, oh my. We usually make hummus in the food processor, but I suppose you could do it with an immersion blender. Yeah, I'm not a lover of regular blenders. You are correct that a food processor is easy to get apart to get all the food out, minimal loss. 

• Like 2

Well I have a regular blender, a food processor and an immersion blender.  I use the food processor and immersion blender all the time.  I almost never use the big blender.  

I use the food processor for pesto, hummus,  shredding or slicing in bulk

I use the immersion blender for smoothies, salad dressings, blended soups/purees (hot blending).

I am not sure how well the immersion blender would work for hummus or pesto? The processor does a great job at that. Immersion blender does a great job with mayo/salad dressings.  And mine came with a blending cup you a can measure stuff right in to.  But the processor would work for that too, so if you were going to pick one, I'd pick the food processor. 

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Food processor if you don’t like smoothies that much.  They are the only reason to have a blender instead.

Pretty much what I was thinking. We have a smoothie lover, so the blender stays. Never take my food processor away from me!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Well I have a regular blender, a food processor and an immersion blender.  I use the food processor and immersion blender all the time.  I almost never use the big blender.  

I use the food processor for pesto, hummus,  shredding or slicing in bulk

I use the immersion blender for smoothies, salad dressings, blended soups/purees (hot blending).

I am not sure how well the immersion blender would work for hummus or pesto? The processor does a great job at that. Immersion blender does a great job with mayo/salad dressings.  And mine came with a blending cup you a can measure stuff right in to.  But the processor would work for that too, so if you were going to pick one, I'd pick the food processor. 

Same here!

I don't think a blender would make good pesto or hummus, but I haven't tried. I use my food processor for those.  I also use my food processor for mayo.  I love my immersion blender, but mainly use it for soups and sauces. 

For salad dressings, I just put all the ingredients in jar and shake.  Not fancy, but it works for me!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Math teacher said:

I actually have a blender, but hardly ever use it. It's pretty hard to clean and there seems to be too much product waste. I am interested in making homemade mayonnaise and salad dressings, maybe some pesto and some hummus. I am not a smoothie fan.

Related question-immersion blender or regular. 

The homemade mayo and no smoothies suggests food processor.

Immersion blenders are awesome for pureeing hot foods right in the pot. Far less dangerous and mess making that using a blender.

Our regular/traditional blenders are in storage. We do use a Cuisinart food processor, and a Krupps inversion blender, and a very useful Ninja IQ personal (bullet-style) blender. If not for homemade mayo I'd have suggested the Ninja. Great for salad dressings and pesto and OK (if one doesn't over-blend) hummus. Food processor less handy for salad dressings than Ninja, somewhat better at hummus, equal at pesto, essential for mayo (where Ninja is out).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

A food processor can be more flexible if you want to dice, chop, grate cheese, and make creamy style dips.  I find it does not work well for liquids.  I have an inexpensive immersion blender that I like soups and milk shakes.  It is easy to use and clean.  I just got a nice Vitamix blender for Christmas and I love it and it cleans so easily.  Middle-of-the-road blenders are worthless in my experience.  They are difficult to clean, bulky to store, messy, and work so-so.  

• Like 1

I like my food processor for chopping vegetables (shredding cabbage, carrots, slicing beets, slicing carrots, etc). I use it to make great hummus and salsa.

Basically, I don't drink smoothies. So it made so much more sense to get the food processor.

Emily

• Like 1