Menu

S/o Masks in Orlando, Disney, Universal, etc., also CA/Los Angeles

PeterPan

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

FYI, I just looked and as of this post Orange County, FL (Orlando area) the ICU is up to 85% capacity. Our "reopen" goal was to keep 30% capacity open. We are at only half that. 

And Orange County hit a new high in case numbers today. We've had over 1,100 new cases this week. Our TOTAL cases is 3,787. So a THIRD of our cases have happened in the past week. But our Governor says it is all fine. 

Any idea how many of Orange’s were students at UCF etc.  Seminole was 100 cases so our biggest ever.......appears to be 92 students all over in Oviedo.  Students are arriving to some degree.......my kids friends with apartments are going back per dc’s, football team practicing........For those not familiar UCF sits on the county border.  Student housing is mainly off campus which means students live in both counties.

Read a scary blurb last night about a group of 50ish who went out bar hopping.  Every single student in that group (per a student in the group so who knows) has tested positive.

BTW,  Orange just got a mandatory mask order......yeah! Hope Seminole gets one.

Edited by mumto2

35 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Any idea how many of Orange’s were students at UCF etc.  Seminole was 100 cases so our biggest ever.......appears to be 92 students all over in Oviedo.  Students are arriving to some degree.......my kids friends with apartments are going back per dc’s, football team practicing........For those not familiar UCF sits on the county border.  Student housing is mainly off campus which means students live in both counties.

Read a scary blurb last night about a group of 50ish who went out bar hopping.  Every single student in that group (per a student in the group so who knows) has tested positive.

No, but I too have heard of the students out at bars, bars closing down, etc. One is owned by a husband of a highschool classmate. 

I know 28 of our new cases are Orlando Firefighters, which is sad. Others are from the cluster at the airport. 

And I did NOT hear about the mask order, hallelujah!!!!!! I can go get the only gluten free pasta we like! Delivery from that store is too darned expensive compared to others, so I've been without and was trying to build up my courage to go in. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Sad 1

FYI -Florida

In the latest batch of statewide results, 12.5% of the people swabbed tested positive. That’s based on 25,556 tests recorded from the previous day.

Compare that to just a month ago on May 18, when 3.5% of the tests showed infections. That was based on the results of 24,629 tests that day — almost the same number as Thursday.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-cases-thursday-june-17-20200618-mubfrblw4bds7ouov2bthui36i-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2r61Olnb5B3gEdCQl7OId7Wnxj9FieaH_R0mvhZ_aSpU_-4hb0KQ_0Wds

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

And I did NOT hear about the mask order, hallelujah!!!!!! I can go get the only gluten free pasta we like! Delivery from that store is too darned expensive compared to others, so I've been without and was trying to build up my courage to go in. 

It doesn’t go into effect until Saturday night.  Enjoy your pasta!  

FYI to all.... Our Sam’s just started curb side pick up and appears to have a good number of slots.  We have a cart in progress......looking forward to some different things as we have fallen into the same things in rotation!  

15 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

FYI -Florida

In the latest batch of statewide results, 12.5% of the people swabbed tested positive. That’s based on 25,556 tests recorded from the previous day.

Compare that to just a month ago on May 18, when 3.5% of the tests showed infections. That was based on the results of 24,629 tests that day — almost the same number as Thursday.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-cases-thursday-june-17-20200618-mubfrblw4bds7ouov2bthui36i-story.html?fbclid=IwAR2r61Olnb5B3gEdCQl7OId7Wnxj9FieaH_R0mvhZ_aSpU_-4hb0KQ_0Wds

We need more eye popping emoticons, mercy. That's astonishing. Yeah, our positives are pitifully low. That was statewide? I did come across something where your lieutenant gov was interviewed saying they're having hot spots in agriculture with almost complete positives for say 100 workers in a sector. So you're definitely dealing with some cultural/regional stuff we don't have. Now we have factories, but that's all indoor and regulated. 

Your lieutenant gov was also saying the liked seeing the median age drop, that it meant they were protecting the elderly. But I guess see where your hospitalizations are.

Well to me, that shift in CA masking is pretty dramatic. I don't see this turning around to the level I'd want even for a 2021 trip. I could see a FL trip, because it would be more targeted and because they'll work hard to get tourist areas ready. But CA, I don't know that whole tone is just not looking for tourists at all.

Just now, mumto2 said:

It doesn’t go into effect until Saturday night.  Enjoy your pasta!  

FYI to all.... Our Sam’s just started curb side pick up and appears to have a good number of slots.  We have a cart in progress......looking forward to some different things as we have fallen into the same things in rotation!  

Do you mean wait until saturday? Because yes, I will 🙂 Maybe by then Seminole County will join in - so far we and they have been mostly in sync. Then I can go to the closer Publix, with the better selection. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

We need more eye popping emoticons, mercy. That's astonishing. Yeah, our positives are pitifully low. That was statewide? I did come across something where your lieutenant gov was interviewed saying they're having hot spots in agriculture with almost complete positives for say 100 workers in a sector. So you're definitely dealing with some cultural/regional stuff we don't have. Now we have factories, but that's all indoor and regulated. 

Your lieutenant gov was also saying the liked seeing the median age drop, that it meant they were protecting the elderly. But I guess see where your hospitalizations are.

Well to me, that shift in CA masking is pretty dramatic. I don't see this turning around to the level I'd want even for a 2021 trip. I could see a FL trip, because it would be more targeted and because they'll work hard to get tourist areas ready. But CA, I don't know that whole tone is just not looking for tourists at all.

Yeah...he makes noises like farm workers don't count really...it's not REAL people getting sick, so no worries. All while also saying we are protecting the most vulnerable. Um, those farmworkers ARE vulnerable! Many are in slavelike conditions. It's a huge deal. (and I imagine many many more are sick than is reported due to immigration fears - not wanting to go to the hospital for fear of deportation)

And half our deaths (well, maybe not any new ones) are nursing homes, so yeah, we suck at protecting the vulnerable, because hello - the people working there are out shopping, dining, and club hopping with everyone else, then taking it into the nursing home. That doesn't have enough PPE. It's a disaster. Some experts are saying Florida will be the new NYC and I totally agree we are in that direction. It's scary. 

And maybe you can understand, when we live where there are 12% positive test results, and open bars and nightclubs, and a crap ton of people who are vulnerable, and the highest hospitalizations are people UNDER 65, and ER visits for Covid cases are up by 52%, and our hospitalization rate is over 10%, that we have a real REASON to want people wearing masks in public, and don't look at this disease with any kind of equanimity. A friend's dad died from it. My mom's friend is in the hospital - they were not sure she'd make it through the night two nights ago. (she got all the drugs, including dex and HCQ), and this is a person in her 60s who exercises daily, eats well, very social and active. Meanwhile her husband, just sick, but not hospital sick. There really is no telling who ends up in the ICU and who doesn't. 

So yeah, when I go out and see no one wearing a mask or trying to social distance...it's frightening and honestly mind boggling. But the governor keeps saying it is all good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

On 6/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, PeterPan said:

I have this theory that the sooner everyone gets the virus and we get herd immunity, the sooner my dad in assisted living gets his freedom back. I'm not saying that's a popular perspective, just saying it's mine. If the doctors are saying we all have to get it eventually, then to me it's just something that has to be done. Keep the meds flowing, the deaths low, get it done.

I don't think any actual epidemiologist or public health expert thinks that purposely trying to achieve herd immunity (which may not even be long-lasting) without a vaccine is a good idea. If 70% of the population gets it, with a 10% hospitalization rate and 1% death rate (which could go even higher if hospitals are out of beds, especially once the flu returns in addition to Covid), we'd be looking at more than 20 million hospitalizations and 2 million deaths. Even half that would be economically, politically, and psychologically disastrous. And why would you assume that your father in assisted living would come through that unscathed, when his age group and living conditions put him in the highest possible risk group?

• Like 6

Farther south, in the county I'm from, where my best friend lives, they have hospitals reporting no ICU beds left. And these are not little, rural hospitals. I was born at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center and until 10 years ago lived in walking distance of it, I attended childbirth classes at Wellington Regional when pregnant with my son and attended my best friend's birth at Palms West. These are major suburban hospitals. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-hospital-bed-capacities-tracker-20200403-tasn7rj2vncsjivrg75wb6gqkm-htmlstory.html

As Palm Beach County experienced a jump in new coronavirus cases Thursday, some county hospitals reported their intensive care beds are completely full.

Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration tracks the number of hospital beds available countywide and shows Palm Beach County overall has 74% of its 319 beds occupied. But looking closer at individual hospitals in the county, Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center, Palms West Hospital, and Wellington Regional Medical Center have few or no adult ICU beds available, according to the AHCA data.

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I wish Brevard would add one but I'm not holding my breath. When this all started they had hours long county commission meetings arguing over whether the beaches should be closed to non-residents. They wasted days before finally deciding to close them. I can just imagine the meetings over masks.

4 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I know 28 of our new cases are Orlando Firefighters, which is sad. Others are from the cluster at the airport. 

That's scary. Dss (Emma's dad) is a Brevard Co. firefighter/paramedic. He has said the county is doing a good job keeping them protected but I still worry for him. His wife and kids finally moved back home about 2 weeks ago. They had been staying with her mom because of concerns he might bring the virus home to one of them, but especially to Emma who is immune deficient. They just felt safe being together again and then the spike happened.

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I'm not defending the way our state is doing things, but that article says 2 counties. Those 2 have been hot spots all along.

While I was looking for info on the above I came across an article that says WDW is canceling their Not So Scary Halloween Party. I wonder if Universal will follow by canceling Halloween Horror Nights. 

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orange-county/disney-cancels-mickeys-not-so-scary-halloween-party-modifies-extends-food-wine-festival/XMRD2CCG6NHYRCN7JO4Z74WRUI/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Farther south, in the county I'm from, where my best friend lives, they have hospitals reporting no ICU beds left. And these are not little, rural hospitals. I was born at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center and until 10 years ago lived in walking distance of it, I attended childbirth classes at Wellington Regional when pregnant with my son and attended my best friend's birth at Palms West. These are major suburban hospitals. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-hospital-bed-capacities-tracker-20200403-tasn7rj2vncsjivrg75wb6gqkm-htmlstory.html

As Palm Beach County experienced a jump in new coronavirus cases Thursday, some county hospitals reported their intensive care beds are completely full.

Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration tracks the number of hospital beds available countywide and shows Palm Beach County overall has 74% of its 319 beds occupied. But looking closer at individual hospitals in the county, Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center, Palms West Hospital, and Wellington Regional Medical Center have few or no adult ICU beds available, according to the AHCA data.

I just checked the area where DS lives. It says 86% of adult ICU beds in his county are filled. He lost his job and his wife is working at home, so I hope they're not getting too much exposure.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, Joker said:

On 6/17/2020 at 1:27 PM, Joker said:

Yeah, I’m worried about us in Indiana. We’ve been doing really well despite opening up beginning of May but bars and clubs had stayed closed until this past Friday. I was worried about gyms opening a few weeks ago and all has been well so hopefully opening bars won’t be an issue, but I’m concerned. 

This is happening where much of my family lives and works, increased cases among young people visiting bars. Hopefully it will stay among the young, but as the uptick is just starting, I think that’s wishful thinking. I’m very worried about my elderly mom with multiple health issues.

https://www.wpr.org/we-are-not-heading-right-direction-la-crosse-county-sees-spike-covid-19-cases

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

That's pretty much a we don't want tourists statement.

It could actually be just the opposite. Maybe people will feel safer visiting if they know most people will be masked in indoor public areas. If it helps to keep the numbers lower then I would think people would be more likely to visit than if the numbers are high.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Frances said:

Yes, I’ve noticed for the first time here that the 60+ crowd dropped to just below 30% of cases. The 20-59 year olds are the majority of cases. The deaths still seem to stay in the older group so hopefully those younger won’t get it as severely, the death rates stay down, and they don’t spread it to those older.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frances said:

It could actually be just the opposite. Maybe people will feel safer visiting if they know most people will be masked in indoor public areas. If it helps to keep the numbers lower then I would think people would be more likely to visit than if the numbers are high.

Well I guess we'll see... But for me, if an area is so hot they need to MANDATE masks for every single human above age 2 and are FINING people then that's not where I want to be. It means the levels are too high and the risk too high for something that is optional. 

Remember, I'm in a state where numbers are going DOWN and our policies are balanced. I have no need to go into a place that is either *dangerous* or * insane*. A lot of people will be saying the same thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Joker said:

Yes, I’ve noticed for the first time here that the 60+ crowd dropped to just below 30% of cases. The 20-59 year olds are the majority of cases. The deaths still seem to stay in the older group so hopefully those younger won’t get it as severely, the death rates stay down, and they don’t spread it to those older.

Is that in your state? I don't know if we're getting that shift yet, but I did see the FL Lt. Gov. mentioning it. They took it as a good thing, so long as the death rate stays low, so obviously we hope it is. Sigh. 

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Is that in your state? I don't know if we're getting that shift yet, but I did see the FL Lt. Gov. mentioning it. They took it as a good thing, so long as the death rate stays low, so obviously we hope it is. Sigh. 

Yes, it’s for Indiana. The 60+ crowd had been steady at just over 30% of cases and yesterday they went just a tiny bit below that but it was still a shift. Our death rate has remained rather flat but at least not rising. 

I follow this doctor for a decent breakdown of Indiana stats. He basically attributes Indiana’s success so far with our surrounding states being stricter than us. He’s also a big proponent of wearing masks. https://www.facebook.com/hoosiercovid/

36 minutes ago, Joker said:

Yes, it’s for Indiana. The 60+ crowd had been steady at just over 30% of cases and yesterday they went just a tiny bit below that but it was still a shift. Our death rate has remained rather flat but at least not rising. 

I follow this doctor for a decent breakdown of Indiana stats. He basically attributes Indiana’s success so far with our surrounding states being stricter than us. He’s also a big proponent of wearing masks. https://www.facebook.com/hoosiercovid/

Totally off topic but I love your new avatar, Joker! ❤️

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Frances said:

I agree. I would actually go out and about a little bit more this summer IF EVERYONE was masked. But since some people refuse, my family won’t be able to support many local businesses.

Can't “open up” if people shun personal responsibility (the responsibility to community). 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 5

My county seems to be doing all it can to get our cases to spike. Every day cases are increasing, not decreasing, and it isn't due to more tests alone.

First there was the launch. The photo below is from the city I called home for 50 years (we moved to our new city in the same county on May 14th). It was from the first launch day that was scrubbed, but the actual launch day was just as bad. In the authorities' defense, they did ask people not to come and asked locals to watch it from their homes, but did nothing to truly discourage anyone and didn't require masks.

They opened the beaches fully for Memorial Day weekend and have kept them open since then.

And to add insult to injury we'll be hosting the AAU Junior Olympics in late July at a stadium that's three miles from our new house. The head of our tourism board says he's "thrilled" we're going to have thousands of athletes and their families here and that nearby hotels will fill up for it. Ugh. 

101030631_10163349210200447_7448080780028280832_n.jpg

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Well I guess we'll see... But for me, if an area is so hot they need to MANDATE masks for every single human above age 2 and are FINING people then that's not where I want to be. It means the levels are too high and the risk too high for something that is optional. 

Remember, I'm in a state where numbers are going DOWN and our policies are balanced. I have no need to go into a place that is either *dangerous* or * insane*. A lot of people will be saying the same thing.

Right...but the mask mandate doesn't make it more dangerous. If they didn't mandate the masks, it would still have just as many cases. You seemed to be saying that mandating masks was going to drive away tourists...as if they'd still come if they didn't mandate them, but the caseload would still be the same...so?

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

My county seems to be doing all it can to get our cases to spike. Every day cases are increasing, not decreasing, and it isn't due to more tests alone.

First there was the launch. The photo below is from the city I called home for 50 years (we moved to our new city in the same county on May 14th). It was from the first launch day that was scrubbed, but the actual launch day was just as bad. In the authorities' defense, they did ask people not to come and asked locals to watch it from their homes, but did nothing to truly discourage anyone and didn't require masks.

They opened the beaches fully for Memorial Day weekend and have kept them open since then.

And to add insult to injury we'll be hosting the AAU Junior Olympics in late July at a stadium that's three miles from our new house. The head of our tourism board says he's "thrilled" we're going to have thousands of athletes and their families here and that nearby hotels will fill up for it. Ugh. 

101030631_10163349210200447_7448080780028280832_n.jpg

Yikes. My parents live a few minutes from that bridge, assuming it is the one I think it is. I'm so scared for them. They are not going anywhere but medical appointments, but still. 

The state dashboard is not working...interesting. 

Sun Sentinel still has the best info I'm finding, although more specific to southern counties they also report statewide stuff. The Orlando newspaper is terrible - and the owner is an unethical jerkwad, so I can't reccomend it for central florida news. (they literally ran a campaign promising less news, more photos and coupons at one point - that's how bad it is). WESH 2 is the standard broadcast news channel, they have a website, and WMFE is the Central Florida public radio station, they have a website. WUCF is the Central Florida public television channel, I haven't checked to see if they have news on their website, probably?

Palm Beach Post is the newspaper from my hometown, and would cover palm beach, martin, and broward county news particularly, with some state. But Sun Sentinel is a much better publication. And although they have limited free articles the 8 week subscription is only 99 cents. Worth it for anyone following Florida news. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

The state dashboard is not working...interesting. 

It's working fine for me. Maybe it was just down for a brief time?

I'm annoyed with the dashboard/Department of Health people though. I emailed with a question and haven't received a response. Hmph. 

Edited by purpleowl

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yikes. My parents live a few minutes from that bridge, assuming it is the one I think it is. I'm so scared for them. They are not going anywhere but medical appointments, but still. 

It's Max Brewer bridge in Titusville. The one that leads to Playalinda/Canaveral National Seashore.

But if you were thinking 520 I heard that was bad too.

Edited by Lady Florida.

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's Max Brewer bridge in Titusville. The one that leads to Playalinda/Canaveral National Seashore.

But if you were thinking 520 I heard that was bad too.

I was. 

But still, people would have gone to restaurants, gas stations, etc all over that area. I'm sure plenty went to Coco Village, etc. My parents are inbetween the 528 and 520 bridges, but closer to 528. They live near the Publix/Target/etc 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Ugh, we are at the creation museum and genuinely tried to wear masks, but everyone was hot and miserable and claustrophobic with them. I just don’t see this working for full days in the heat, but we gave it our best shot, especially in close quarters.  There a social distancing marks and people are trying to stay apart, plus the capacity is about 1/5 of what it can hold, so that helps.

It’s easier indoors, outside is terrible though.

I had to wear a mask for about an hour and a half today while at a well checkup for the baby.  It was the longest I've worn a mask and it was awful!!! My face was so itchy and I got so thirsty because my face was hot.  I don't understand how dh was able to wear it for 8 hours while at work before he started working from home.

We're going to be camping at the beach in a few days and I am so stressed about dealing with the kids wearing them while we're at the bathhouse or if we go somewhere that might require it.  

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I had to wear a mask for about an hour and a half today while at a well checkup for the baby.  It was the longest I've worn a mask and it was awful!!! My face was so itchy and I got so thirsty because my face was hot.  I don't understand how dh was able to wear it for 8 hours while at work before he started working from home.

We're going to be camping at the beach in a few days and I am so stressed about dealing with the kids wearing them while we're at the bathhouse or if we go somewhere that might require it.  

maybe a different material? I get hot in one outside, but inside, the only time it was itchy was when I had cat hair in it without realizing it, lol. But some fabrics are much softer and more comfortable than others. I have several all cotton prints, and one is definitely softer. You can also use t-shirt material for the inner layer. 

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

maybe a different material? I get hot in one outside, but inside, the only time it was itchy was when I had cat hair in it without realizing it, lol. But some fabrics are much softer and more comfortable than others. I have several all cotton prints, and one is definitely softer. You can also use t-shirt material for the inner layer. 

It isn't the material.  It is it getting warm and moist in there because of my breathing that is creating the itchy atmosphere.  I'm incredibly sensitive to touch so I am hyper aware of anything that doesn't feel right so it is probably more extreme to me than to other people.

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

I just told the kids we will do our best in close quarters situations, which we did.  There weren’t very many and that was nice.  Outdoors it was completely intolerable though.  90+ degrees, moderately high humidity, no shade.  Poor Benjamin was actually starting to get hyperthermic, super red and lethargic even in the car.  We had to strip off his pants and socks and shoes to get his temperature back down comfortably, since his Clek seat is just really hot and stuffy compared to the rest of the car.  

Poor guy

6 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yeah, i really think it is going to have to be avoid situations in a lot of ways, and mask when you can't avoid them. Versus wear a mask unless you can't, and then avoid. But that's not a popular opinion. 

As an adult I will certainly wear one if it is required.  The kids of a certain age I will require it as well.  The 3 year old, nope, and even the 5 year old most like.  They can try it and if it works great.  If not, I'm not fighting them on it.  It is too much to expect for them and it is unreasonable to expect us to continue staying home because young kids can't handle masking.

Adding: But I'm not really in a rush to start taking the kids anywhere. They have their neighborhood friends and our pool to keep them occupied for the most part.  But a camping and beach trip are long over due.  And thankfully this beach hasn't been crowded yet

Edited by hjffkj

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

As an adult I will certainly wear one if it is required.  The kids of a certain age I will require it as well.  The 3 year old, nope, and even the 5 year old most like.  They can try it and if it works great.  If not, I'm not fighting them on it.  It is too much to expect for them and it is unreasonable to expect us to continue staying home because young kids can't handle masking.

Adding: But I'm not really in a rush to start taking the kids anywhere. They have their neighborhood friends and our pool to keep them occupied for the most part.  But a camping and beach trip are long over due.  And thankfully this beach hasn't been crowded yet

You say it is unreasonable to stay home, but then you say you aren't going high risk places so I think we are sort of agreeing? That certain things are too high risk without a mask, and a mask isn't reasonable in those situations, so better to avoid them. 

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah, he had fun but it was just too much.  His wheelchair has a black seat cushion too, so his butt and back and such hold more heat than ours when we are walking around.  He’s fine now though, just melting down as we are trying to put him to bed 😖

It’s a good reminder, masks or not, to be constantly checking our kids in this weather.  The other five (masked!) kiddos were okay, but the unmasked preschooler was not.  Definitely something to be vigilant about with the extra layer.

I was struggling so bad after about two hours of walking around masked, but we did our best and I’m not going to feel guilty we couldn’t manage more.  It does make it seem less feasible for the kids during school though - they were touching it, biting the middle, peeling it down off their noses, etc.

That's good that you were able to have some fun, and recognize when you were at your family's limit (or just past it). Your story reminds me of when I was a new parent and trying to figure out outings with a baby: the first time you stay out too long at (for me) the zoo -- whoo, boy, is it really clear that it was a mistake! Then you start memorizing those red flags, turn-around rules, and general time limits for planning. Then you get good at making sure outings are over before they become a problem!

At first I resisted 'not getting my money's worth' out of shorter pleasant visits, but then I just got used to telling myself that a longer visit isn't necessarily a more valuable experience if we are miserable! I'm glad you called it off before it got any worse. (How long we can be somewhere masked now is 'how long we can be there'.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

You say it is unreasonable to stay home, but then you say you aren't going high risk places so I think we are sort of agreeing? That certain things are too high risk without a mask, and a mask isn't reasonable in those situations, so better to avoid them. 

Not entirely.  I think that the things that I few as not worth the risk are not worth it with or without a mask. So, for us.  We are going to the beach and camping in two days.  Masks are required in bathhouse, in lines for concessions stands, and on the beach or at the campground if social distancing isn't possible.  I am willing to do all of those things without a mask because I don't agree with the need for everyone to wear masks.  But I will mask because it is required and to be thoughtful for those who want it.  But I won't make my kids wear them even if it is required if they are unable to.  It is unreasonable to require a 3 and 5 year old to wear masks imo. Suggesting is fine but requiring it is not.  

There are things like go to the movies I won't do with or without a mask. Large crowds are high risk whether you have a mask or not. 

12 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Since states are pretty much doing their own thing, I’m not sure mandating or not mandating masks means the same thing in different states. As we know from this very board, mask wearing is quite political. As for fining, I’m guessing most places are going with education first and fines as a last resort. At least that’s what I’ve heard here about every single mandate since this started. Even direct violations that have resulted in super spreader events have not resulted in fines.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frances said:

Since states are pretty much doing their own thing, I’m not sure mandating or not mandating masks means the same thing in different states. As we know from this very board, mask wearing is quite political. As for fining, I’m guessing most places are going with education first and fines as a last resort. At least that’s what I’ve heard here about every single mandate since this started. Even direct violations that have resulted in super spreader events have not resulted in fines.

Our mayor said there will not be fines, etc for people, but that businesses who don't enforce it could end up fined. 

13 hours ago, Joker said:

Our state the majority of new cases are early 20-s to 45 years olds or so.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, katilac said:

Most major cruise lines have announced that they will not sail from any US ports until at least September 15. 

Yup, I saw that. It's pretty logical. Frankly, I don't see cruising being a thing till next spring/summer. I just don't see it. I don't know where I'm going to go for winter sun, but I don't think I'll be getting it on a cruise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yup, I saw that. It's pretty logical. Frankly, I don't see cruising being a thing till next spring/summer. I just don't see it. I don't know where I'm going to go for winter sun, but I don't think I'll be getting it on a cruise.

At this rate, it won't be Florida or Arizona either, lol. Maybe time to buy an infrared sauna? (I really really want one, lol)