Menu

Geometry recs

I'll start by saying I have reviewed the thread of available geometry curricula in this forum.  Thank you for all of the shared wisdom there.  It seems as though Holt, Jacobs, or Jurgenson may be the best options for us, but I thought I'd get your thoughts given our experience and preferences. 

We worked through Foerster's Algebra 1 this year and while we had an issue or two, I found it very easy to pick up and teach daily lessons with little to no prep.  This is likely because the lessons are concise, the format is easy on the eyes (ample white space on the page), the printed answer key provides the work AND solutions, and we had the thumb drive from math without borders to help us where we got stuck.  

My DS is 14 years old and bright but has not yet declared any appreciation for math beyond "I'm so glad it's done."  So, I'm not looking for an advanced math curriculum, but it has to have enough "chew" to it for my DS to engage with it.  Foerster was great in that way.  

Any recommendations just jump out to you?  

Doodlebug  

Just throwing in a potential "heads up" -- many students who do fine with Algebra 1 struggle with Geometry (while students who struggle with the abstract topics Algebra tend to do well with the concrete topics of Geometry). So perhaps going with whatever is closest to Foerster's style, since it was easy for you to implement, and your DS "clicked" with that for Algebra 1?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Just throwing in a potential "heads up" -- many students who do fine with Algebra 1 struggle with Geometry (while students who struggle with the abstract topics Algebra tend to do well with the concrete topics of Geometry). So perhaps going with whatever is closest to Foerster's style, since it was easy for you to implement, and your DS "clicked" with that for Algebra 1?

Yes!  This is what I'm looking for... I'm just not sure which of the offerings fits that description!

• Like 1

My daughter used Foerster for Algebra 1 and 2 and used Jurgensen for Geometry.  We used lesson plans from Memoria Press.  Really it was mostly odd problems from the A and B sections.  I did find a used copy of the solutions manual.  I looked at the text that Math Without Borders used and it seemed OK and Jacobs seemed a bit cluttered and busy.  I wish there had been videos to accompany the text.  My son had a few issues with Foerster- well he had issues with being immature- so it took awhile to complete it successfully.  He would like to try Thinkwell for Geometry.  He isn’t going to self teach math well and geometry was never a love of mine.  I was always more of an algebra gal.

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations!  

In looking more closely at Jurgenson, it seems many of the video tutorials are no longer available (Duke's TIP program) AND the answer key isn't great.  If I had the videos, I could make it work.  If I had a great answer key, I could make it work.  But to not have either?  Yikes. 

ETA: I found updates to the Jurgenson resources in the high school math thread pinned at the top (specific to Jurgenson).  Memoria Press Lesson Plans, Homeschool COnnections video tutorials, etc!  I'm thinking this is the one!

Edited by Doodlebug
  • Like 1

My boys (finishing 9th grade) have just completed VideoText Algebra, which took them from Pre-A through Alg 2 with some trig/pre-calc thrown in.  They bpth love this program and I believe the subject is extremely well taught.

We are taking a month off and then starting VideoText Geometry.  We do the on-line version.

• Like 1

I have used the Holt book with 8 students in the last three years, and I love it. There are free resources online, but the One Stop Planner is very helpful for tests and quizzes and extras, but assessments are available in a book format. While I do love it, it is not going to have ample white space you mentioned. The pages have a lot of pictures and even side notes and tips in the margins. (I see now that you have chosen, but I'll leave this here for others researching the thread for advice.)

Here are the book helps online. http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma/geo_07.html

Here's the test and quiz book. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0030427487/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Here is a free solutions manual online that you can download.  

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 5

We are using Jurgensen after doing Dolciani Algebra 1

i bought the Duke TIP CD off of eBay but we haven’t used it yet. I am afraid we won’t be able to. When I looked at it months ago it did not appear that you could skip around. It seemed that you had to start at the beginning and work through all the modules.  I do have the solution manual. It is not as robust as the one for Dolciani.

One thing I miss from a Dolciani is the practice problems in the back for each section. Jurgensen’s doesn’t have that.

4 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I have used the Holt book with 8 students in the last three years, and I love it. There are free resources online, but the One Stop Planner is very helpful for tests and quizzes and extras, but assessments are available in a book format. While I do love it, it is not going to have ample white space you mentioned. The pages have a lot of pictures and even side notes and tips in the margins. (I see now that you have chosen, but I'll leave this here for others researching the thread for advice.)

Here are the book helps online. http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma/geo_07.html

Here's the test and quiz book. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0030427487/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Here is a free solutions manual online that you can download. 

We used the student pages printed from the One Stop Planner more so than the pages in the text book, so lots of white space and in black and white. I think we mostly just used the text for example problems. I'll have to look at the layout again- I think I still have the set in a box in my attic. I also found a teacher's blog that had the videos linked out by section. It worked pretty well for what we needed at the time. My kiddo probably would have preferred Jurgensen, but Holt got the job done, and she got all the geometry questions on the ACT correct.

3 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

We used the student pages printed from the One Stop Planner more so than the pages in the text book, so lots of white space and in black and white. I think we mostly just used the text for example problems. I'll have to look at the layout again- I think I still have the set in a box in my attic. I also found a teacher's blog that had the videos linked out by section. It worked pretty well for what we needed at the time. My kiddo probably would have preferred Jurgensen, but Holt got the job done, and she got all the geometry questions on the ACT correct.

I really wasn't thinking about that, but it can be a hefty investment. 

This is the level B homework and practice pages all in a workbook. https://www.amazon.com/Holt-Geometry-Homework-Practice-Workbook/dp/003078087X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=holt+geometry+2007+homework+and+practice&qid=1592430723&sr=8-1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cintinative said:

We are using Jurgensen after doing Dolciani Algebra 1

i bought the Duke TIP CD off of eBay but we haven’t used it yet. I am afraid we won’t be able to. When I looked at it months ago it did not appear that you could skip around. It seemed that you had to start at the beginning and work through all the modules.  I do have the solution manual. It is not as robust as the one for Dolciani.

One thing I miss from a Dolciani is the practice problems in the back for each section. Jurgensen’s doesn’t have that.

I loved the practice problems provided in Foerster Alg 1.  It allowed a student to work step-by-step, and that was helpful.  Jurgensen offers "classroom exercises" before students launch into the written exercises, however, I'm not certain where I'll find solutions to the classroom exercises just yet.  My solutions manual (1994) and teacher's edition doesn't arrive for a few days.  

My one concern with Jurgensen is the resources.  Though they are available, it seems each resource has its pitfalls.  We will make it work, however, that's my next step... to figure out what resources will be helpful, and where I'm likely to need to leap to a different resource.  I am cringing at the amount of money I spent for the Jurgensen teacher's edition.  Whew!  That was painful.  However, DS is insistent that our work together at the table is the best approach for him.  And I suppose I've still spent less than 1/2 of what an online program would cost.  So... 

My line-up of Jurgensen Geometry teacher resources thus far:

Solutions Manual

Teacher's Edition

askmrh youtube videos

--if these videos don't cut it, then I will consider subscribing to Homeschool Connections' Jurgensen Geometry recorded course.  (Single Access subscription is about $12/month).  

Homeschool Connections

Using this as a place to organize my thoughts!  But if you have experience with any of these and want to share your experience/recs, I'll gladly take them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Doodlebug said:

I loved the practice problems provided in Foerster Alg 1.  It allowed a student to work step-by-step, and that was helpful.  Jurgensen offers "classroom exercises" before students launch into the written exercises, however, I'm not certain where I'll find solutions to the classroom exercises just yet.  My solutions manual (1994) and teacher's edition doesn't arrive for a few days.

My line-up of Jurgensen Geometry teacher resources thus far:

Solutions Manual

Teacher's Edition

askmrh youtube videos

--if these videos don't cut it, then I will consider subscribing to Homeschool Connections' Jurgensen Geometry recorded course.  (Single Access subscription is about $12/month).  

Homeschool Connections

Using this as a place to organize my thoughts!  But if you have experience with any of these and want to share your experience/recs, I'll gladly take them!

The teacher’s manual has the answers to the classroom exercises. I do the classroom exercises with my child. He does the average course assignments —there is a schedule for a minimum, average, and maximum course in the teacher’s manual. 

• Thanks 1

I used BJ Press Geometry. It is rigorous and always requires the student to use algebra knowledge. BJ  Press has a video option.

https://www.bjupress.com/category/grade-10-geometry-curriculum

Also, the online math teacher at Thinkwell is the author of Holt Geometry - if I am understanding correctly.  I used the Thinkwell Algebra 1 videos as a supplement a few years ago with my oldest daughter. The teacher is fabulous. He has short lessons, clear teaching, and a great sense of humor. Homeschool Buyers Coop is the cheapest way to buy access to Thinkwell that I have seen. Thinkwell offers a free trial to learn more about how the program works.

https://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/collections/grades-6-12-math

FWIW, Unlock Math has been a great experience for dc.  There is daily review, plus unlimited practice problems. Students can redo assignments with new problems and the system takes the best grade.  There is a 14 day free trial period, and a 30 day money back guarantee.  

Edited by klmama

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, Mom2mthj said:

My daughter used Foerster for Algebra 1 and 2 and used Jurgensen for Geometry.  We used lesson plans from Memoria Press.  Really it was mostly odd problems from the A and B sections.  I did find a used copy of the solutions manual.  I looked at the text that Math Without Borders used and it seemed OK and Jacobs seemed a bit cluttered and busy.  I wish there had been videos to accompany the text.  My son had a few issues with Foerster- well he had issues with being immature- so it took awhile to complete it successfully.  He would like to try Thinkwell for Geometry.  He isn’t going to self teach math well and geometry was never a love of mine.  I was always more of an algebra gal.

Did you purchase the teacher edition for Jurgensen?  It seems so pricey!

I have personally used Jurgensen for self study. I have completed all the problems in the “maximum” course.  And I have taught Jacobs 3rd edition.  

I am a very linear thinker, and Jurgensen’s organization of topics really appealed. It is easy to see where he is going and why the lessons are the way they are. If I wound up teaching from it, I would have spread Chapter 10, on constructions, out among the chapters where they made more sense (do the triangle constructions when you study triangles, etc.). Jurgensen says you can do this in the notes and it would have helped my understanding. 

I taught from Jacobs 3rd because I had a very young student (who is certainly not a linear thinker like me) who I thought would like the “fun” aspect of the assignments and the real life applications, which are very interesting. She didn’t love the course but came away with a very good understanding. The last chapter in Jacobs on non-Euclidean geometry has no parallel in Jurgensen. It is really interesting and left DD wanting more. DD and I spent some time watching some YouTube mathematicians expand on some of the ideas.

2 hours ago, dsbrack said:

Yes I did buy the TM because the tests scheduled in the MP plans were in the front, but I purchased it used on eBay.  I didn’t really use it that much, but I did use the solution manual a lot.  If I had to pick one, I would certainly pick the solution manual over the teacher’s manual.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsbrack said:

Yes, I did.  

And yes, it was far pricier than what I'm accustomed to.  I scoured ebay and other used curriculum vendors to no avail.  

But, I was looking for something specific to the needs of me (teacher) and my student.  😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

Yes, I did.  

And yes, it was far pricier than what I'm accustomed to.  I scoured ebay and other used curriculum vendors to no avail.  

But, I was looking for something specific to the needs of me (teacher) and my student.  😉

Thanks!  I'm pretty sure if we use Jurgensen I'll need the teacher's guide. I won't be able to teach without it but man, it is a hard pill to swallow.