Menu

The Application cycle has begun

Dmmetler

DD just submitted her first (to Carthage College, which ticks a lot of her boxes, but will need a really, really awesome scholarship package to make it equitable with many of her other choices). She's excited. I feel slightly nauseous. 

Most of her others don't open until August 1. 

• Like 12

The list is growing and changing (especially since College search is one of the more interesting things to do this summer), but so far:

The most likelies-close to home, almost certainly good merit aid, and familiar-in most cases, she's been in the campus multiple times. She knows people in the departments and generally likes the programs. Of the three, UAH is probably her favorite. 

University of Alabama-Huntsville (nerd culture, salamander researcher deeply involved in TN Herpetology and fish researcher involved in behavioral studies, great opportunities for science Ed and outreach, including easily accessible paid positions once she is 18. 

Middle Tennessee State University-multiple Herpetologist department with field opportunities, TN environmental Ed resource center, easy collaboration with other middle TN programs, lots of contacts.

Arkansas State University-near to current mentors,female PI led department, wonderful Herpetology collections that really really need some love. Closest school on the list to home (she could go locally, but is unlikely to do so unless colleges do not go back on campus by fall of 2021). It's her best friend's safety school, so she might have a roommate who she knows she can live with.

HBCU's of interest. She has been really impressed by the events and programs that the HBCU group here has run, and at least wants to give them a visit and see what they have. Both are agricultural schools with lots of opportunities for hands on work with animals, decent field bio programs, and a strong focus on education and outreach. 

Tuskegee 

Lincoln

Reaches, either financial,admissions or both,

Carthage College. she loves the great lakes location and the research opportunities, and because of train routes, it is very easy for her to get back home. She would need one of their top scholarships, and she doesn't have a clear PI there like at many of the other schools. I don't know she would have applied if the application hadn't been open, but I think she liked the idea of getting a start on things. 

Case-Western Reserve (got itself on the list due to the events they've had during quarantine-but again, big financial reach and not a sure thing on admissions for anyone). Again,no direct herp contacts or PI

Cornell University-She has decided she should try one Lottery school, and she likes Cornell the best of the Ivies. Having said that, I think she would be more likely to end up at CWR as her lottery school than Cornell, all things considered. There are herp folks, but getting into a lab might be a challenge, although she might have an advantage or two there. 

Agnes Scott. She likes the idea of a women's college (and likes Atlanta) and, again, has a herp contact there already, as well as connections in regional Herpetology circles. 

• Like 8

That's a nice list! Lots of interesting schools there.

My ds is also going to apply to UAH and MTSU. He feels pretty certain he will attend UTK (it is the closest and he has spent time there each summer since 7th grade and feels very tied to the school because of his 4-H involvement). He also really liked UAH and feels he would be happy there so he doesn't envision his choice falling past that but I am requiring him to apply to four schools so he is also going to apply to MTSU and Tn Tech. He doesn't see himself at either of those because he likes UTK and UAH so much. However, I will remain concerned about money until it is all said and done. He should have been in good shape financially for UTK and UAH but I am nervous about whatever changes Covid might cause in scholarships. Also, my two older sons changed direction mid year senior year and changed their college choices so I am going to require this ds to apply to at least four to have some options. He doesn't want to go very far from home so MTSU and Tn Tech are natural choices for admission and financial safeties (and easy applications). 

Doesn't MTSU have a nice fellowship for about 25 outstanding incoming freshman? I feel like I looked at that for my oldest ds. Not sure if it is still available but surely your dd would be a front runner for that. 

Good luck and keep us updated. You will have a busy year with applications and scholarship essays and competitions but I bet you get fun and exciting news along the way. You've shared so much great and interesting stuff about your dd I am sure I am not the only one here watching to see where she ends up. 🙂

• Like 2

Oof! Y'all are really on top of things!! A couple of ds's schools have opened applications, but I know one of them, at least, will send him a voucher for a free app (at least, they did for DD, so I will assume the same for DS), so he's started on apps and finalizing his list of requirements, etc for each school.

He's actually spent more time signing up for virtual "tours" and advisement sessions for some of the colleges. Those have been surprisingly informative (moreso than an in-person tour as far as accurate information goes). He learned that two of his schools really like to see certain types of "interest" shown, so he's contacted advisors and such from those schools to make those connections. We'd already done our own research, so he hadn't bothered until the session person notified the kids that they really should do that if they haven't already.

Edited by easypeasy

I do think that DD has spend more time researching due to COVID. It’s both something to do and someone to talk to, and in some cases, schools have made it onto the “will apply” list as a result. She’s ended up looking at schools farther  north than she had planned to consider, for example. 

• Like 1

DS has added a couple of schools bc of this too. He was wary of adding schools but, at this point, I told him it's best to add schools and start with a larger-than-expected list and then we can see how each school is dealing with COVID and manage the list from there. There are so many unknown factors this application cycle, I feel a larger list is probably a good idea in his case! At least for now!

• Like 1

Dd has gone the opposite direction. She won't apply to any school that's not a relatively easy drive. I think she'll only apply to UT Austin and TAMU. She might throw in U of Houston but that's it. They're all matches or safeties for admission but the honors programs at UT and A&M are lotteries. 

She may not end up applying at all if she gets all of her Navy enlistment stuff done (that's even more hoops than a college app) and a contract signed by September. At least the rating she wants is permanently undermanned so she should have a good shot at getting an open slot. 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 10:22 AM, dmmetler said:

DD just submitted her first (to Carthage College, which ticks a lot of her boxes, but will need a really, really awesome scholarship package to make it equitable with many of her other choices). She's excited. I feel slightly nauseous. 

Most of her others don't open until August 1. 

How exciting, and hoping it is a positive and educational experience for her. I think there is a lot of growth and development that can develop from the process.

2 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Dd has gone the opposite direction. She won't apply to any school that's not a relatively easy drive. I think she'll only apply to UT Austin and TAMU. She might throw in U of Houston but that's it. They're all matches or safeties for admission but the honors programs at UT and A&M are lotteries. 

She may not end up applying at all if she gets all of her Navy enlistment stuff done (that's even more hoops than a college app) and a contract signed by September. At least the rating she wants is permanently undermanned so she should have a good shot at getting an open slot. 

She dropped any possibility of international applications once COVID started, and started out just within a few hours, but has started adding schools if they have relatively easy ways to get home. Honestly, if she doesn't have a car, it might be easier to get home from, say, Chicago or St Louis than from a smaller a few hours away that does not have direct express MegaBus routes or Amtrak, and while she's not super fond of big cities, the availability of public transit TO a big city is a plus. 

And I figure this cycle is going to really be strange because of kids deferring a year, less scholarship money, so many schools being test optional, and the fact that so many kids have lost summer plans, competitions, resume building activities, jobs, etc. So having a slightly wider net and including a range of schools seems like a good option. 

• Like 4

@dmmetler Congratulation on you DD's early start.

DS is in the process of preparing to apply. All of his colleges are test optional. He wasn't able to take the SAT in the spring so we are anticipating scheduling one or two goes in the fall though we are still waiting to schedule based on his sport schedule. I won't be surprised if he applies to one or two schools test optional. His grades and the rigor of his course load should speak well for him.

He has a list of 4 regional colleges that he still wants to visit. We are currently plotting a college visit trip to the 3 that are open to visitors. I am concerned that once students get on campus visitors won't be allowed.

Best wishes to all as you navigate this year's application process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Second set of applications is in-the ones opening July 1 (mostly the HBCUs, which use the Common Black College App-and it's possible that some of those won't start actually evaluating early applications until August). The rest open in August, either with institutional apps or common app. 

• Like 5

DD got her first acceptance- state school and we knew it would be automatic, but for some reason I want to shout HOMESCHOOLING DID NOT RUIN MY CHILD!!!!!   College acceptance was always a big fear of mine, when making the decision to homeschool through high school.

• Like 15

51 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

DD got her first acceptance- state school and we knew it would be automatic, but for some reason I want to shout HOMESCHOOLING DID NOT RUIN MY CHILD!!!!!   College acceptance was always a big fear of mine, when making the decision to homeschool through high school.

Congratulations! This was absolutely me last year. When we got our first acceptance it felt so exhilarating. "You mean it actually worked? Homeschooling all the way actually worked?" I somehow didn't believe it until I saw it for myself 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Yippee! Dd took her PiCAT (a newer version of the ASVAB) and auto qualified for Cryptotech Interpretive, the Navy rating she wants. That means she doesn't have to get a qualifying score on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery in order to qualify for the Defense Language Institute. That's a major hoop jumped because the DLAB is a notoriously difficult test that's very hard to prepare for.

There's still a boat load of forms to fill out for the security clearance and the physical, but the hardest hurdle is done.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 11

DS made his first in-person college visit of this application season this week. I am not sure how many more DS will be able to make. We are watching another school that is supposed to be opening up for visits July 20th. This school did this once before but then extended the opening date due to CDC recommendations. I am not particularly optimistic with the current state of COVID affairs. 

I am beginning to think about doing virtual visits but he commented about how hard it was to get the vibe of the school last week with no students on campus. I can only assume that it will be even harder to do so virtually.

I am so glad that DS was so willing to tag along two years ago when DD2 was looking at schools. At least he has 2 contenders and 3 fall backs that he has already visited.

• Like 4

I’m glad we visited some early for the same reason. At this point, COVID numbers are so bad here that I wouldn’t want to do a campus visit for fear of accidentally bringing it with us. 

• Like 1

I definitely understand the concern about bringing COVID in. For the visit DS had to do a pre-visit verbal COVID check and the visit was all masks, hand sanitation, and social distancing. For the small town where the college is located, this was way over and above the current standard of care but I feel comfortable with our level of protection of those in that town.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, dmmetler said:

Cornell University-She has decided she should try one Lottery school, and she likes Cornell the best of the Ivies. Having said that, I think she would be more likely to end up at CWR as her lottery school than Cornell, all things considered. There are herp folks, but getting into a lab might be a challenge, although she might have an advantage or two there. 

This made me smile. My son and I were just talking about what schools he will apply to (he’s also a rising senior). He surprised me by saying Princeton. Just because he wants to do one Ivy and for various reasons he likes it best. I don’t think he has any chance of getting in and I don’t think it would really be a great fit for him if he did. And he knows that so I’m not worried about him being disappointed. For one thing he wants to swim, and isn’t going to swim at a DI school, so that’s an issue. But I thought if he wanted to apply, sure go for it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alice said:

This made me smile. My son and I were just talking about what schools he will apply to (he’s also a rising senior). He surprised me by saying Princeton. Just because he wants to do one Ivy and for various reasons he likes it best. I don’t think he has any chance of getting in and I don’t think it would really be a great fit for him if he did. And he knows that so I’m not worried about him being disappointed. For one thing he wants to swim, and isn’t going to swim at a DI school, so that’s an issue. But I thought if he wanted to apply, sure go for it. 

I'm interested in seeing if she goes through with it when the apps open on the 1st. She is really struggling with the length of the common app essays-she finds them too short to explain, for example, WHY she has gotten involved with teaching kids herpetology and what it means to her, or what it has been like to be the one 12 yr old on a college campus, or anything else meaningful. And she doesn't want to write an essay that isn't meaningful to her. 

• Like 2

My senior is inching closer to choosing a gap year. Several opportunities have been presented to him that have turned his head (NOT because of anything his mom has said, lol!). I am rooting SO HARD for him to pick a gap year, I can't even pretend to be neutral anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

The common app, and supplemental prompts, is done. UAH is now the only one not submitted. Vanderbilt replaced Cornell, and a few others got added, like Mizzou. 

• Like 4

Yes, she's doing it now :)

She also got her second acceptance-University of Montevallo in AL (which was another spur of the moment, apply for free, we've filled out the application mostly for you, add). They sent a text message. I'm kind of hoping they also send a letter, although it probably only matters to mom. 

• Like 3