Menu

A Little history of.... books : opinions?

We have A Little History of the World and I really enjoyed using it as a brief intro before a full history cycle.  I'm seeing now that this is part of a collection of "A Little History of" books, each written by a different author.  there is religion, philosophy, economics, United States, language, literature, and poetry.  

I'm wondering about using these as middle school introductions to various topics.  They would be used for independent reading and discussion.  Does that seem about right age-wise?  Do people like these books?  

2 hours ago, OKBud said:

I have read a couple of them, but not used them. But I think they'd be great for your purpose, especially if the amount of reading is on par with what you want for your student.

We ended up using "Very Short Introduction" books quite a bit for middle school... I like those because the topics are more specific. DS, for example, read one that was about Medieval England. This coming year I'm scheduling one about Plato. Like "Little History," they're written by different people and some are better than others, but DS doesn't really notice. 

In any case, any of these books are good if the level and topic match what you've got going on 🙂  If you want an over-view of one of the topics, your "Little History Of" books would probably be great. I would assume the content would be kid-safe, but wouldn't be able to swear to it.

Thank you!