Menu

Counting & Probability

12 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Hmmmm. Does probability actually get covered much in middle school? I probably don't know the classification, but I wouldn't think it'd be covered in as much depth as in the AoPS class. 

I have no idea. I think @Momto6inIN approach to intro books gives you one credit for two intro books. That looks about right to me.

What do you guys think of the Intermediate level book? It’s a significant step up from the intro to C&P. Do you feel it deserves a full credit?

Edited by Roadrunner

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

I have no idea. I think @Momto6inIN approach to intro books gives you one credit for two intro books. That looks about right to me.

What do you guys think of the Intermediate level book? It’s a significant step up from the intro to C&P. Do you feel it deserves a full credit?

We didn't find AOPS til after DS had done Alg 1 and 2 and Geometry with another program, so the Intro to C&P and NT were our first experience with it. After that he went on to use the Precalc and Calc books in 11th and 12th and didn't do the intermediate books. I did buy the Intermediate Alg book in case he needed to backtrack and review but I don't think he ever needed to. If the Intermediate book is similar in difficulty and size to the Intermediate Alg book, then I would definitely say It's a course by itself!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

I'd also agree that the Intro book is 1/2 credit while the Intermediate book is worth a full credit.

I'm working through the latter myself, & it can be challenging!

Thanks Kathy! So glad you are still checking in here and providing guidance! 

Yes. The intro class (along with a book) was a piece of cake for the kid (as piece of cake as AoPS can ever be 😋). This Intermediate book is a monster in comparison. I wanted to check my sanity. 

Anybody knows if Intermediate Number Theory textbook is in the works? I hear horror stories about the class. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Anybody knows if Intermediate Number Theory textbook is in the works? I hear horror stories about the class. 

I haven’t heard of any plans for an Intermediate NT book, darn it. The text Stanford uses for its online number theory (Intro to Number Theory by Stark, MIT press)  is pretty good for that level, though, if you’re looking for something.

The AoPS Intermediate NT class was the 2nd hardest AoPS class my kids took ( 2nd only to Olympiad Geometry) 🙂

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

I haven’t heard of any plans for an Intermediate NT book, darn it. The text Stanford uses for its online number theory (Intro to Number Theory by Stark, MIT press)  is pretty good for that level, though, if you’re looking for something.

The AoPS Intermediate NT class was the 2nd hardest AoPS class my kids took ( 2nd only to Olympiad Geometry) 🙂

The advantage of AoPS books are detailed solutions. I am going to guess Stark text doesn’t have them 😞 .

We just received Elementary Number Theory by Joe Roberts and it includes solutions. Also MIT press. The font is awful (handwriting), but I have high hopes. I have no way of evaluating it though. Are you familiar with it?

8 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

The advantage of AoPS books are detailed solutions. I am going to guess Stark text doesn’t have them 😞 .

We just received Elementary Number Theory by Joe Roberts and it includes solutions. Also MIT press. The font is awful (handwriting), but I have high hopes. I have no way of evaluating it though. Are you familiar with it?

Oh for sure, AoPS solution books are amazing. And yeah, Stark doesn’t have answers (just 2 pages of answers to selected problems). 😔

I’m not familiar with that Roberts text, sorry.

Edited by Kathy in Richmond
  • Thanks 2

When are you guys planning to take it? Sacha is currently planning to take Intermediate CP in late January after Intro to Geo finishes up, if you're looking for a buddy.

Intermediate NT has scared me ever since Quark and Lewelma's kids struggled with that class. Et tu, Kathy? Wow. Geometry is already scaring me (he is starting in late August) -- pray for us! 😉   

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

When are you guys planning to take it? Sacha is currently planning to take Intermediate CP in late January after Intro to Geo finishes up, if you're looking for a 

we aren’t planning on taking it. Too busy for AoPS fast class schedule. Mine will work on his own time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, daijobu said:

I studied the material covered in Intro C&P when I was in high school.  

I took the Intermediate NT class last summer and it was challenging, but it definitely boosted my confidence and added to my problem solving toolbox.  

How much credit did you grant your DD for Intermediate C&P?