Menu

What clothes for college?

Janeway

For kind of a fun post, I am wondering what clothes and how much for college? My son has gained a fair amount of weight recently so we need to replace his entire wardrobe. I am kind of guessing he will need more clothes because he will need to use the washing machines at the dorm so might not get to wash as often. On the same token, too many clothes might not fit easily at the dorm. I am unsure how much space there is for clothes and such. Not to mention the fact that we have to pack everything up and bring home at the end of all this.

• Like 2

Janeway this is great.  The questions are getting easier!  🙂There will be a lot of little things and you and your DS just need to take them one at a time. I agree with Jen500 that when it is hot, they will be wearing Jeans or Shorts and a T shirt. However, that does not mean that he can wear those clothes to a Church service or  fancy meeting. He should have at least one pair of nice Slacks and a nice shirt. I don't think he needs to take a Suit, but maybe a Sport Jacket, for fancier events?

For Winter, he will need shoes/boots that will protect him if and when there is Snow/Ice/Heavy Rains.  I sent my DD with my old (Red)   L.L. Bean Goose Down Parka when she went to NC last August.  Then, she bought a new (long, woman's) coat from L.L. Bean (approximately $300 USD) but after she wore it a few times, there was a defect and the Down started coming out of a hole. She sent it back for a Credit to her Credit Card. I suggested that she wait until November 1st, when they have new merchandise and everything (?) in stock and that she buy a new coat at that time. They will probably have all sizes and colors in stock at that time, or, most of them.

And then, about a month ago, I found my (dark Grey color)    Eddie Bauer Goose Down Jacket and showed it to my wife and asked her, "Do you think DD would wear this?"   She took a photo and sent it to DD via WhatsApp, so when DD can come home (no flights permitted here until at least September 1st at this time), we will give that to her, after it goes thru a cycle in  the  washing machine.

I really think that having proper protection during the Winters, to protect one's head, hands and feet, from Frostbite and from Water, are the most important things. DD bought some inexpensive things in NC after she got there, not knowing *anything* about cold weather, or, cold weather clothes, but she quickly learned that what I told her (and DW ) about Winter clothes/shoes/boots from a company like L..L. Bean are worth the price differential.

I lived in North Central Texas for 28 years and if I assume the weather in Waco in the Winter is about the same as it is there.

• Like 1

DS lives year-round in jeans & tee shirts, no matter how hot or cold it is, so that's 90% of what he took to college. However, he does have a few events every year he needs to dress up for, so he needs a sort of "capsule wardrobe" that will cover the range from "business casual" to formal. So this is what he has for those occasions:

Charcoal gray suit + a navy blazer
Nice dark-rinse jeans + gray Dockers (simple flat front, uncuffed style)
White dress shirt + blue & gray pin-striped button-down shirt
Silk tie in a small gray & blue geometric pattern
Plain black leather shoes & belt

With that "capsule" he can can go from one step up from jeans & a tee shirt to a full formal event:
Blue/gray button-down shirt with nice dark-rinse jeans for something like a team dinner on a road trip
Blue/gray shirt with gray Dockers and navy blazer for a "business casual" event
White dress shirt, gray suit pants, navy blazer, & tie for medium formal (like an awards dinner)
Gray suit, white shirt, tie for a formal event

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4

As you prepare for your student heading off to college, you might also find the past threads linked on PAGE 5 of the "College Motherlode" pinned thread to be helpful. This one addresses clothes:

Dress clothes for college?

Other topics you will find multiple threads for, under the "Heading for College" heading:
- preparing the student in advance (conversations to have)
- freshman orientation/registration
- packing/what to bring
- drop-off day

Also topics under the heading of "At College Topics":
- various topics (anything from having a car on campus, to what laptop for college)
- textbooks (rent vs. buy, and, where to get them cheaper)
- meals/dorm/living off-campus
- medical/health/insurance

As far as what clothes/how much -- depends on the climate of the school's location. Also on the student's program of study, and any specific requirements of the school.

DS#1 attended a university in a hot/dry weather state that was largely informal -- so no need of things like boots, heavy jackets, rain jackets, etc. He did need 1 nice suit or dress pants/jacket combo + button-down shirt and nice shoes, BUT, only used it 1-2 times each year for special events. (Other families with children involved in music concerts or other special programs have mentioned needing dress clothes far more frequently.)

For everyday clothes, DS#1 was able usually able to re-wear pants and shorts multiple times before they needed washing, so he needed fewer of these. Gym/athletic clothes could only be worn once before washing, so having a few extras of those clothes was nice. Sox and underwear -- handy to have a full 2 weeks worth. He did have and use 2 bath towel sets, but even though we sent 2 full sets of bed linens, he only ever used one and washed it every 1-2 weeks. DS had several ball caps which were crucial for being in a hot weather location -- as well as sunglasses.

Not clothes, but if your student is heading for a school in a warm climate, I highly recommend sending a small fan -- ideal for helping to blow air to stay cooler for sleeping, and the noise can help mask room mate noise a bit. 

Edited by Lori D.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, Janeway said:

For kind of a fun post, I am wondering what clothes and how much for college?

YAY for a fun post! 😄 FWIW, the dressers they provide at most universities are ENORMOUS and deep - they usually hold a ton of clothes. For clothes packing/storage, we love the IKEA Frakta bags. Easy to pack up clothes, fold the bags flat, and pull them back out at the end of the year. IKEA Frakta Storage Bags

DD1 took ALL the clothes and was glad she did. Lots of workout gear, shorts, jeans, and tshirts/tanks. She always put off laundry until the last possible moment (and then whined about how much she had to put away... 🙄)

DD2 will take ALL the clothes PLUS fancy stuff too. She's involved in a few groups that will require her getting dressed up several times a semester for events, so I should probably buy her a dressy winter coat for those times (a Patagonia jacket pulled over a nice dress and heels just doesn't look quite right...).

For everyday, DD1 lived in jeans/shorts and oversized tshirts. But DD2 likes dressing up everyday more than big sis & doesn't like wearing the same thing week after week, so she's added in leggings and dressier tops to go with jeans. And more shoes than DD1. 😄 All her new stuff is going into a bin in her closet because she wants it to "still feel new" when she gets to college. lol

(We are gonna be a holy mess if they cancel and make them stay home this semester...)

• Like 2

He should have a coat and tie along with some dress pants and nice shoes. Otherwise, college kids dress rather comfortably. I would make his every day clothes easy to wash and dry. Make sure he washes everything ahead of time before he goes - so he will actually sort colors, because once in college, that won't happen again!

On June 17, 2020 at 6:45 AM, lmrich said:

He should have a coat and tie along with some dress pants and nice shoes. Otherwise, college kids dress rather comfortably. I would make his every day clothes easy to wash and dry. Make sure he washes everything ahead of time before he goes - so he will actually sort colors, because once in college, that won't happen again!

Truth! I highly recommend sending a big box of Shout Color Catchers with college students.

I made sure DS had them, because I knew he would end up washing his brand new, bright red, team-issued tee shirts with his white uniform at some point. A few weeks into freshman year, he texted to thank me after a teammate showed up to practice with a pink uniform, lol. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Truth! I highly recommend sending a big box of Shout Color Catchers with college students.

I made sure DS had them, because I knew he would end up washing his brand new, bright red, team-issued tee shirts with his white uniform at some point. A few weeks into freshman year, he texted to thank me after a teammate showed up to practice with a pink uniform, lol. 

These are the BEST!!! Great idea!

I also love Downy Ultra Wrinkle Free Fabric Softener . It is AMAZING. Especially for busy kids who will put all their stuff from the dryer into a basket and leave them too long before putting them away. Wrinkles really do fall right out. The scented version smells kind of awful, imho, so I buy the unscented. This will be going with DD for sure.

Also Downy Wrinkle Releaser This is AMAAAAAZING stuff right here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, easypeasy said:

I also love Downy Ultra Wrinkle Free Fabric Softener . It is AMAZING. Especially for busy kids who will put all their stuff from the dryer into a basket and leave them too long before putting them away. Wrinkles really do fall right out. The scented version smells kind of awful, imho, so I buy the unscented. This will be going with DD for sure.

Also Downy Wrinkle Releaser This is AMAAAAAZING stuff right here.

Thank you!  I have the Wrinkle Releaser but have always been afraid to use it.  Have you ever had it damage fabric?  Are there fabrics you shouldn't use it on?

• Like 1

My kids have attended where it rains a lot, and when it rains, it comes down in torrents.  A really nice raincoat or poncho and some good waterproof shoes/boots (especially for winter rain) have been good investments.  One of my kids also used a backpack raincover to keep water from leaking into their backpack to protect their computer when walking back and forth across campus.  (When you have to dash across campus in 15 mins for your next class, you don't have the luxury of waiting for the rain to slow down.)

• Like 2

My oldest ds used khaki pants/nice polos/buttons downs with or without tie pretty frequently for social and professional events. By sophomore year he was interviewing for internships and jobs that required a suit. Raincoat and boots were a must.

My second ds goes to school in FL where things tend to be more casual in general and he would not attend the type of social functions that require dressing up, nor is he involved in professional development type things that he dresses up for. The dressiest clothes he has are khakis and a button down and sperry type shoes. He has refused to get anything more and I suspect he will go out and buy something in a hurry when he needs it.

My boys have tended to take enough clothes for a week without laundry. The are in hot climates so that means more than one change of shirt per day usually. They try to keep what they take to a reasonable minimum, though. Once we have moved ours in freshman year they have moved themselves from place to place. We didn't anticipate it, but they have stayed in their college towns and moved to apartments, etc on their own with their small cars without help from us. So traveling light was practical. One summer my oldest basically couch surfed throughout the summer (actually rotated renting space in homes of kids coming and going during the summer for weeks at a time) and kept most of his belongings in his car. 

So my kids have traveled light and really found it helpful not to have too much. They have the ability to go shop for things as they need them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

My kids have attended where it rains a lot, and when it rains, it comes down in torrents.  A really nice raincoat or poncho and some good waterproof shoes/boots (especially for winter rain) have been good investments.  One of my kids also used a backpack raincover to keep water from leaking into their backpack to protect their computer when walking back and forth across campus.  (When you have to dash across campus in 15 mins for your next class, you don't have the luxury of waiting for the rain to slow down.)

I keep telling my daughter this, but she refuses to consider a raincoat or waterproof shoes/boots.  I was able to convince her to get the bookbag cover and to bring an umbrella, but that's it.  We'll see if she changes her mind.  Of course, most (if not all) of her classes will be online so maybe it won't matter as much for the first year.

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  I have the Wrinkle Releaser but have always been afraid to use it.  Have you ever had it damage fabric?  Are there fabrics you shouldn't use it on?

I basically use it on any washable fabrics. 

I tried it on a graduation robe and, in photos, you could see little droplets in certain lights. I imagine it's because it couldn't properly "soak in" to that weird robe fabric. After that, I only used it on easily washable fabrics. 

It's like magic on pants and tshirts and things! 👍 Spray it and hang it and you can see the wrinkles disappear!

(obvs it has limitations - it won't heal a basket full of laundry left for a week... lol But it is amazing for those pesky wrinkles. I have some pants that wrinkle if I sit down in them for more than 5 minutes. If I've used the fabric softener or the spray, the wrinkles fall away once I stand up again and within a few minutes. I am wrinkle free again! I love this stuff!)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:21 PM, Lanny said:

I really think that having proper protection during the Winters, to protect one's head, hands and feet, from Frostbite and from Water, are the most important things. DD bought some inexpensive things in NC after she got there, not knowing *anything* about cold weather, or, cold weather clothes, but she quickly learned that what I told her (and DW ) about Winter clothes/shoes/boots from a company like L..L. Bean are worth the price differential.

my ds is going to NC also. we're in CA, so very mild weather. what kind of winter stuff (specifically knowing NC weather) should he pack to bring considering he'll be home by thanksgiving for good?

On 6/22/2020 at 6:23 AM, 8FillTheHeart said:

My kids have attended where it rains a lot, and when it rains, it comes down in torrents.  A really nice raincoat or poncho and some good waterproof shoes/boots (especially for winter rain) have been good investments.  One of my kids also used a backpack raincover to keep water from leaking into their backpack to protect their computer when walking back and forth across campus.

I purchased "duck boots" for my dd#1 on the recommendation of the parent of an upperclassman. I didn't actually expect her to wear them, but she reports she wore them plenty -- especially when her main pair of shoes were drying out.

Backpack cover & umbrella went with her, too. I suspect one got more usage than the other, but I don't know which she would recommend more.

Mine does not travel light but she likes to have what she needs fairly close at hand. Her dorm room for the fall does not have a bookcase/hutch like last year's, so she is planning to cull down her stack(s) of books. That will be like choosing which favorite children to abandon...

• Like 1

I won't be much help.  My kids live in T-shirts and either shorts, jeans, or sweat pant material type jeggings.  A jacket is worn if necessary.

Son #1 was in a hot climate so he never needed winter clothing.  A mid-weight jacket was the warmest he needed.

Son #2 was in a mild climate, and he did need a winter coat for a few weeks.

Neither took dress clothes but did have one pair of dockers and a button down just in case.

• Like 1