Menu

After AOPS Intro to Algebra? Also, Course Description...

DS is currently working on AOPS's Intro to Algebra book. I plan to give him credit for algebra 1 after he finishes either chapter 13 (quadratic formula - This is also the last chapter that AOPS has videos for.) or chapter 14 (graphic quadratics). What should we do next? Do we start the geometry book or continue in the current book, which I assume would be part of algebra 2? 

Also, is anyone willing to share their course description for this course?

If you plan on staying with AoPS, then I would continue with the Intro book, finish it, and then move on to geometry.

Personally I gave mine credit for algebra 1 for the Intro book, and Algebra 2 for their Intermediate book to avoid confusion. If you don’t want to do the Intermediate book, you can supplement some topics that are missing from the intro book and call it both Algebra 1 and 2. 

45 minutes ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

I have the Intermediate Algebra book already. If he finished Intro to Algebra, how many chapters from Intermediate Algebra would be needed to count as Algebra 2?

I don’t have that answer for you, but if you plan on using AoPS precalculus book eventually, you need to cover these Intermediate Algebra chapters along with precalc chapters to call it complete (I have saved this from  @Kathy in Richmond old thread about condensed AoPS precalculus and what was a must do):

Intermediate algebra textbook:

Ch 1 - 4: review

Ch 5 - 6: all

Ch 7.1 - 7.5

Ch 9.1 - 9.2

Ch 10.1 - 10.5

Ch 11.3 -11.4

Ch 13.1 -13.3, 13.5-6

Ch 14.1

Ch 15.1 - 15.3

Ch 16.1 - 16.3

Precalculus textbook:

Ch 1 - 2

Ch 3.1 - 3.4

Ch 4 - 7

Ch 9 - 11

so that gives you all including precalculus. 
If you plan on switching the books to a different precalculus text, then hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will chime in to tell you what is a must for just algebra 2. 

From a personal experience, there is more than just review in chapters 1-4, so I would t skip those.

18 minutes ago, square_25 said:

The first bit of the precalc book is trig, which isn't covered in Intermediate Algebra, I don't think, and is standardly precalculus (and you do need it before calculus.) The rest of the precalc book is very cool but is perhaps not strictly precalculus. 

I think she wants a cutoff in Intermediate Algebra book between Algebra 2 and precalculus (Algebra portion that is taught in traditional precalculus texts). I don’t understand enough to know that, but you will know.