Menu

Liquid and soft diet recommendations

sweet2ndchance

Some time in the next two weeks or so I'll have an appointment to get all my remaining teeth pulled. So liquids and soft foods it is for me for the foreseeable future. It all started with a horrible abscess that I've been battling since last weekend so I'm technically on a soft foods only diet until the surgery as well. Sigh. It will be the first surgery I've ever had and I'm terrified so I'm trying to keep busy and not think about it.

So sandwiches have been hard for me to swallow because everything is so tender and no ability to chew very well. Smoothies have been ok. I love Campbells Chicken and rice and have been stocking up on that. I've got a lentil soup recipe to try and a good potato soup recipe that I like. What other kinds of soups that feel like meals should I try?

Any tricks or tips from someone who has had to live on a liquid or soft diet for a month or two? 

• Sad 1

Scrambled eggs (can add cheese or tiny diced sautéed veggies for flavor), mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes mashed up are easy to eat. Butternut squash soup with cream in it is delicious. I think beans and rice bowls might work if you made sure both were cooked to soft. Lots of different ways to season those. Guacamole or sour cream on a Mexican rice/pinto or refried bean bowl would be very filling. 
Hope you’re feeling better soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually after oral surgeries they say milk shakes. Lots of calories with not a lot of effort. Even if you think they sound horrible now, stock up on some nice dense ice creams and have milk on hand so someone can make them for you. 

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Will you have someone around to take care of you afterward? Fwiw, you're probably not going to remember a lot of it. The pain meds kind of zap your memory too. My dd is unusual sensitive to pain and hyper responsive for sensory, and even though the pain was really high for her, she remembers NOTHING of it later. (Or at least very little? It's definitely not a trauma for her because she just doesn't have that much memory of those days.) Seriously. So just sleep, take the meds, rest, do whatever they say to do. 

• Like 1

All of these ideas sound good. Thanks everyone!

@Danae Savory cheesecake sounds awesome but it also reminded me that I forgot to mention I do have food allergies of tomatoes and shellfish. I've just lived with it so long I forgot others don't know that about me if I don't tell them. I can eat some imitation crab though so I might try it with that.

@PeterPan yes, dh and his grandma between them won't let me move a muscle of the couch. I promised dh the next time I got an abscess I would go to the dentist. I usually treat them at home and have done so since I was 12 (which not so coincidentally is the same age I had my last dental trauma, I mean appointment before this week. I'd say that's not bad for 30 years between traumas, I mean appointments) This is the first time it went from abscess to bone infection in 3 days it took to get an appointment.

I had one tooth extracted last summer.

I bought a lot of stuff thinking I would eat it and ended up eating more cottage cheese than anything else.  The prohibition on seeds meant I had to be really careful about smoothies—none with strawberries or blackberries or raspberries, which is hard to find.  I made some with frozen blueberries, plain yogurt (which I bought full fat so it would be more dense), a banana, and honey.  I also bought those green Odwalla smoothies IIRC.  

There is a soup mixture I kind of like—one can of cream of chicken, one can of chicken with rice (very soft though), and one can of milk, water, or whey.  

I bought those dinner rolls that are really soft, and I grated sharp cheddar cheese and melted it onto them.  

I had hamburgers with those same dinner rolls instead of buns.  Sure did miss the sesame seeds!

You can’t use a straw for a while if they pack in a bone graft.  So really thick milkshakes are not a good idea.

• Thanks 1

If your mouth is going to be pried open super wide for an extended period during surgery, your jaw muscles may be extremely sore for the first couple of days. That was my experience when I had some extractions and implants done on back molars, and I basically lived on squeezy tubes of yoghurt and applesauce for a couple of days because I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get spoon in without pain. So I recommend getting a few packs of those (and keep them ice cold) so you can just squeeze them into your mouth and swallow, without moving your jaw any more than absolutely necessary.

• Thanks 1

I had to be on soft and liquid diets many times due to intestinal issues and surgeries.  I ate a lot of Greek yogurt and cream of wheat.  Other foods that are good would be mashed potatoes, soft pasta, eggs, applesauce, maybe canned fruits, creamy peanut butter, pudding.  You could try cereal that dissolves quickly like Rice Krispies and Rice Chex.  Obviously, ice cream and milkshakes, smoothies, supplement drinks like Boost.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tap said:

Chili (there are tomato free versions). Over cook the beans a bit or mash them with a potato masher a bit, to make it the consistency of refried beans. 

I make a tomato free chili. I'll probably go ahead and make some and freeze it and then just have dh heat it for me and maybe put it through the blender for me. Thanks!

• Like 1