Menu

What's with the ads?

I am sitting here musing over next year and how/what to plan and if we should attempt AP exam or two. Anybody wants to play a fun game of predicting what will happen next year with AP exams?
I am reading now and hearing from my friend’s DD that cheating was rampant this year. Kids were apparently lying also that exams didn’t get through and asking for makeups (not all, not throwing a wide net here, but saying this was a serious problem according to some of our friends at PS). I don’t know why they didn’t use a Proctorial or at least some sort of monitoring system, but my guess is if this pandemic persists next spring, I don’t see CB doing the same thing they did this year - short online exams with no proctoring. I also worry that normalcy won’t return by spring. 
what do you guys think? Anybody wants to speculate? Is this uncertainty affecting your planning in any way? 

My public school kid so far has not changed her AP plans for next year. She is planning to take two, and she took two this year as well. As far as I am aware, she knows of no cheating. I think her friends were too scared by the fact that their teachers will read their exams to try anything. I hope that if there is a need for remote exams next year, that the exams go back to the normal format. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mabelen said:

My public school kid so far has not changed her AP plans for next year. She is planning to take two, and she took two this year as well. As far as I am aware, she knows of no cheating. I think her friends were too scared by the fact that their teachers will read their exams to try anything. I hope that if there is a need for remote exams next year, that the exams go back to the normal format. 

I sent this article to my friend, which is what prompted the conversation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teenvogue.com/story/2020-ap-exams-cheating/amp

Her DD has stories of her own 😞 

I am just concerned that if we decide to do AP,  and pandemic picks up again next spring, CB will cancel the exams given what happened this year. 
My kids won’t have an “official” school grade, so it matters to us that home taught course has some sort of an exam attached. 

Edited by Roadrunner

I have been wondering about this as well.  I didn’t particularly care for the format of the test especially after spending so much time trying to find a location for AP Latin.  I am trying to decide between AP and dual enrollment since I think the local CC will be online this fall.  If I had to guess, I would say that they would still offer it even with cheating going on.  It seems there is always talk of cheating, but it is a really big business and I don’t think CB will want to give up the money.

• Like 1

Amazingly, we already found a school that will take us if exams go off normally, so things are sure to fall apart next spring.

I've thought about this, though, because my dd has access to free DE. Even so, we are signed up for two AP classes at Blue Tent because I think they are superior courses to the DE alternatives. So, if she gets the credit, fine, if she doesn't, she may attempt course by-passing when she gets to college. I'm sure colleges will be unraveling the AP mess for the next 8 years or so and will likely be looking at APs with more shades of gray than previously.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

Amazingly, we already found a school that will take us if exams go off normally, so things are sure to fall apart next spring.

I've thought about this, though, because my dd has access to free DE. Even so, we are signed up for two AP classes at Blue Tent because I think they are superior courses to the DE alternatives. So, if she gets the credit, fine, if she doesn't, she may attempt course by-passing when she gets to college. I'm sure colleges will be unraveling the AP mess for the next 8 years or so and will likely be looking at APs with more shades of gray than previously.

I am musing a completely home taught AP because I also think it’s superior to CC and especially CC online (don’t get me started on this one 😞 ), but given what happened this year, I agree that those exams just don’t cut it at all. 

DD is signing up for 4 (both PhysC, Chem, APUSH), and we're charging ahead. No idea what they'll do, tbh.  We'll prepare and take it as it comes.  It sure would be nice not to have to find a testing location (though...none of this years are 'rare'...no MusicTheory this time around).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AEC said:

DD is signing up for 4 (both PhysC, Chem, APUSH), and we're charging ahead. No idea what they'll do, tbh.  We'll prepare and take it as it comes.  It sure would be nice not to have to find a testing location (though...none of this years are 'rare'...no MusicTheory this time around).

physics C is unheard of in this neck of the woods 😋

I also have fears about:

"security measures to [...] detect cheating, including [...] post-administration analytics"

there will, ofc, be no recourse for false acquisitions, just really big black marks for kids that they think cheated.

12 minutes ago, AEC said:

I also have fears about:

"security measures to [...] detect cheating, including [...] post-administration analytics"

there will, ofc, be no recourse for false acquisitions, just really big black marks for kids that they think cheated.

Yes, I am very worried. APs are one way for us to satisfy a through g for a course taught at home and good for placement purposes for colleges even if no credit is granted. I really wish they had used proctorial or another software during the exams.

I am out loud musing what to do next year. I keep asking myself what I would have changed had I known what was coming in 2020 and have yet to answer my own question.  

31 minutes ago, AEC said:

SIL and Legend both host those exams.

6 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

APs are one way for us to satisfy a through g for a course taught at home and good for placement purposes for colleges even if no credit is granted.

We are using SAT subject tests for history instead of APs.  Since colleges would want to see two years of history including a year of US history. My kids have done the AP exams for their favorite subjects so if next year's AP exams get cancelled, we won't be upset. My kids have not decided which APs (if any) they want to take for 20/21. For us, its finding a PSAT testing location for DS15. 

• Like 1

We’re forging ahead with plans to have DD15 take three APs next year: English Lit, Stats & Psych. They are three excellent classes with beloved teachers, so even if the exams don’t happen or if she doesn’t earn credit, she’ll learn a ton in subjects she is intrinsically interested in and motivated by, 

• Like 1

We’re going ahead with 3 APs for next  year, and I also think there’s a reasonable chance that they’re online again. Dd doesn’t know anyone who cheated. I think it’s really unlikely that teachers are going to turn in kids for cheating. I hope they add the mcq back in next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuckoomamma said:

. I hope they add the mcq back in next year.

MCQ (given zero proctoring) is the easiest section to cheat. I am sure kids who formed groups would have just done them together on the phone. In retrospect I understand why they got rid of them. 
I hope if it’s online they will have a proctoring software and make exam longer. They could have had more FRQs.

Your son is in 8th grade going 9th grade in Fall? For DS14, if AP exams are cancelled next May, he can always take the exams in 11th grade. Same if ACT or SAT is cancelled again, since he can take them in 11th/12th grade.

For DS15, if the exams are cancelled, he would get the same leeway as the class of 2021 (12th grade in Fall) is getting for college admissions. Basically Covid19 is affecting DS15’s 10th/11th grade course choices and it would be reflected in his course choices (all online) and I would explained briefly in the counselor portion. 

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

I wonder why they aren’t even bothering with online SAT

They are offering online SAT for schools. Not for at home. The complaints and lawsuits about AP at home has an effect.

NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/us/at-home-sat-coronavirus.html

“Published June 2, 2020 Updated June 5, 2020

The College Board said on Tuesday that it would postpone plans to offer an online version of the SAT for high school students to take at home this year, further muddying a ritual of the college application process that had already been thrown into chaos by the coronavirus.

After canceling test dates this spring, the board announced in mid-April that it was developing a digital version of the SAT to be introduced if the pandemic continued to require social distancing in the fall, which would make it hard for the nonprofit organization to provide enough testing dates and centers.

But in its latest statement, the board said the technological challenges of developing an online test that all students could take had led to the decision to drop it. Some 2.2 million students took the SAT last year, the College Board said.

“Taking it would require three hours of uninterrupted, video-quality internet for each student, which can’t be guaranteed for all,” the board said, acknowledging the technology gap facing lower-income students, which could further exacerbate inequities in access to higher education.

The organization added that it would continue to deliver an online version of the SAT at some schools, but would not “introduce the stress that could result from extended at-home testing in an already disrupted admissions season.”

Bob Schaeffer, the head of FairTest, which is opposed to the use of standardized tests in college admissions, said the College Board was “simply conceding the inevitable.”

Its decision came after the organization had a rocky experience last month introducing a digital version of the Advanced Placement exams, which it also oversees. Many students complained that they were not able to submit their answer sheets electronically, and their tests were disqualified.

Mr. Schaeffer’s group and several students and parents have filed a class-action lawsuit seeking to force the College Board to score the rejected answer sheets. The College Board said less than 1 percent of students who had taken the test were affected.

The College Board asked colleges and universities on Tuesday to “show flexibility” to the millions of students who were not able to take the SAT this spring because of cancellations. It asked colleges to extend deadlines for receiving test scores, and to give equal consideration to students who were unable to take the test because of the pandemic.”

30 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

They are offering online SAT for schools. Not for at home. The complaints and lawsuits about AP at home has an effect.

NY Times https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/us/at-home-sat-coronavirus.html

“Published June 2, 2020 Updated June 5, 2020

The College Board said on Tuesday that it would postpone plans to offer an online version of the SAT for high school students to take at home this year, further muddying a ritual of the college application process that had already been thrown into chaos by the coronavirus.

After canceling test dates this spring, the board announced in mid-April that it was developing a digital version of the SAT to be introduced if the pandemic continued to require social distancing in the fall, which would make it hard for the nonprofit organization to provide enough testing dates and centers.

But in its latest statement, the board said the technological challenges of developing an online test that all students could take had led to the decision to drop it. Some 2.2 million students took the SAT last year, the College Board said.

“Taking it would require three hours of uninterrupted, video-quality internet for each student, which can’t be guaranteed for all,” the board said, acknowledging the technology gap facing lower-income students, which could further exacerbate inequities in access to higher education.

The organization added that it would continue to deliver an online version of the SAT at some schools, but would not “introduce the stress that could result from extended at-home testing in an already disrupted admissions season.”

Bob Schaeffer, the head of FairTest, which is opposed to the use of standardized tests in college admissions, said the College Board was “simply conceding the inevitable.”

Its decision came after the organization had a rocky experience last month introducing a digital version of the Advanced Placement exams, which it also oversees. Many students complained that they were not able to submit their answer sheets electronically, and their tests were disqualified.

Mr. Schaeffer’s group and several students and parents have filed a class-action lawsuit seeking to force the College Board to score the rejected answer sheets. The College Board said less than 1 percent of students who had taken the test were affected.

The College Board asked colleges and universities on Tuesday to “show flexibility” to the millions of students who were not able to take the SAT this spring because of cancellations. It asked colleges to extend deadlines for receiving test scores, and to give equal consideration to students who were unable to take the test because of the pandemic.”

Imagine the outcry if only some schools have SAT availability. What about the rest of us 😓

22 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Imagine the outcry if only some schools have SAT availability. What about the rest of us 😓

FairTest is pushing for SAT and ACT optional though (they seems gleeful about COVID causing exam mayhem)

https://www.fairtest.org/test-optional-admissions-movement

“No fewer than 23 of the nation's top 101 liberal arts schools, as ranked by U.S. News & World Report, are now ACT or SAT optional. All told, more than one quarter of all accredited four-year schools in the country do not mandate submission of standardized exam results before admissions decisions are made. Many more are currently evaluating their testing requirements, several with the assistance of FairTest, a process that has accelerated with each new revelation of flaws with the College Board's "new" SAT. FairTest's publication Test Scores Do Not Equal Merit serves as a guide to the admissions testing review process.

Other colleges which have dropped admissions testing requirements have cited concerns such as the exams' race, income and gender biases, their inaccuracy, and their susceptibility to coaching.”

• Like 1

This has been on my mind too. This years APs were nerve-wracking for ds. Such a short amount of time to think, organize thoughts, write the answer and upload. When they first came out with the online-APs I was wondering about cheaters as well. I really hope there aren't as many out there as the teen-Vogue article implies! I just signed up ds for Math lvl 2 SAT Subject Test in end of August... all the 4 public schools near us were full so we have to drive 1 hr away - better then nothing. I'm hoping since SATs/SATII are being offered in-person again, so will APs next spring? I am really hoping PSAT will be offered in the fall since my son will be in 11th- So I called College Board to ask and got someone in the Philippines (whenever I call them I always get someone from the Indonesia or Phillipines) she said to register thru the college board website and if it gets cancelled, I can re-register for another the test date. I tried to explain to her that PSAT registration is done thru the ps and there's only one test date (and make-up date) ... smh

Edited by SS in MD
  • Confused 1