Menu

Preparing for the second wave...or what would you do different?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that a second wave will be here before the fall. So what are your lessons learned? Your to do list? What do you stock up on? We know a lot more than we did before and I think it might be helpful to compile a fresh list based on the most recent data that isn't buried in the long threads. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh my biggest pandemic problem was pants!  Mine were getting embarrassing to wear even to the grocery store. But I am a hard shape to shop for online, though I tried and had to return them. So yesterd

Aw, thank you. He was out walking when the accident occurred, just a few miles away from the George Floyd tragedy, on the same afternoon.  He was first whisked to the main inner-city hospital, but was

"Second wave" implies that the first wave has crested, peaked, and is now in decline. In much of the country, that's just not true.

The only thing I would change is that if DH is laid off again, I will go out and get a job.  We were getting unemployment, but having him home for those 8 weeks meant that I had the time to get something, and everyone was hiring like crazy.   We could have put quite a bit of money in savings.  

• Like 1

We're slowly stocking things already, but I'd still like a better way to store produce so I can go longer between shopping trips. But honestly, our family hasn't yet really relaxed from the first wave -- we are still masked when we go out; we still limit our shopping trips (I try to make 10 days minimum); we still aren't doing extra stuff or fun stuff, much; we're still social distancing when we do get together with people (for the most part; I broke that yesterday visiting a family with children in their home and held the little girl on my lap for a while; I sanitized & changed clothes when I got home); we still haven't gone to church.......

• Like 6

I haven't read any responsed yet, will do that when I have two monitors so I can make a list 🙂

But one thing I really noted, that made a difference, was making the house a sanctuary - with plenty to DO for adults and kids. So play equipment outside, particuarly the backyard so kids are not tempted to play with our non social distancing neighbors. More games - of I kind I can stand (I hate most board games...even as a kid....card games are usually worse, but it turns out I like the Professor Noggin trivia games, so we are stocking up). Paint/art supplies. We have an indoor swing/climbing rope/etc that gets a lot of use. 

If we can swing the cost, getting a heater for the pool would be a huge help for us. A play sprinkler or inflatable pool for others. 

BOOKS!! Will be keeping our Epic Books subscription for the kids, and Kindle Unlimited for me. (who are we kidding...never getting rid of my kindle unlimited subscription, lol). If it looks like we may close down again I'll do what I did last time and stock up on a ton of library books as well. 

Home fitness equipment/videos/etc so we don't gain ANOTHER bunch of weight. 

We did get a second fridge/freezer so will be easier to stock up on food. And we are going to declutter the stuff we don't use to make more room for things we do need - like toilet paper and paper towels and peroxide. 

• Like 8

It might seem like overkill out of context, but my focus is on trying to sell my house (in a questionable local market.)

There isn’t a whole lot for me to do differently, other than needing more space for people and things. I cannot reasonably store more stuff without more room while also having monthly visits from social services. I’m already feeling weird about my packed (but not randomly cluttered) house.

It’d be a huge help to have more indoor space for kids to run around inside in cold weather.

• Like 2

I don't think we will change much. I may buy more food and supplies but it's hard to stock up because I still feel badly buying more than my immediate needs since shortages are continuing in my area. I don't think we can do more other than continuing to be diligent. But half my family members believe that because we have opened up it must be safe! They want to go back to normal.

I feel like it's January and February again and I'm watching people not caring anymore and not concerned, and it's a train wreck. Because really, what has changed? Nothing. Maybe hospitals are stocked better but I don't think they are actually prepared for spikes. I saw this article yesterday and it pretty much reflects my thoughts. America Fails the Marshmallow Test.  (NYT, so might be paywalled). 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We haven’t changed any behavior since March, since the threat hasn’t changed either. Actually, if anything we’ve tightened down a bit more—almost all our grocery shopping is delivery now, and I quit my job so that exposure is no longer a concern. We just pretty much don’t go out at all.

I did a huge stock up in February, and have been keeping up on supplies as best as I can without purchasing more low stock, in demand items than I actually need. I’m hoping my garden and the farm share will help fill the freezer with veggies for winter. I’m keeping my eye out for a few random things like another bottle of Lysol, but mostly we haven’t used what I stocked up in winter so I’m not stressed. The one item I do need to purchase is a thermometer, which somehow fell off my radar until it was too late and would have come in handy. 

• Like 5

I’m going to meal plan and buy what we need to eat as healthfully as possible. This includes vitamins and dark chocolate, and the gf items I need that have been hard to find on store shelves. I am also hoping to set up a small area for indoor growing and will do my best to keep us supplied with at least fresh salad greens. Things happened so fast in the spring, I bought a good bit of quick-reheat frozen items and canned goods, things we don’t normally eat, thinking it would be fine for the short term. But our health will suffer if we keep eating like this. 

I will also buy my teen a fitness tracker with heart rate monitor and an actual PE curriculum that focuses on heart rate goals. There was not enough exercise in the true target heart range happening here when school went online. 

We finally upgraded our internet service to support heavy daily use by multiple users, if that hadn’t already been done it would be necessary. Also waiting to see what resources the school might provide come fall, in case we need to upgrade our tech for online school needs. DH & I are almost luddites, but learning lots of new skills these days.

I haven’t been regimented about our days since the end of the school semester, trying to give everyone (including myself) room to process events. But if we head into a new set of SAH, I am definitely setting up some specific routines/expectations. 

I will register my high schooler for an online elective at the local community college. In the spring, homework didn’t take up as much time as a full school day, and I learned that more to do in a day is a good way to stay focused and making progress even when stuck at home. 

I am going to try to earn as much as I can in the next weeks in case I get hours cut again. 

• Like 3

We haven't had the luxury of thinking about things to change. We're still in the trenches. Our cases have never really gone down, and now they're spiking. Mostly I'm trying to maintain stock. We're still staying in as much as possible, still wearing our masks, being diligent about hand hygiene, etc. I'm sure there will be additional shortages, but it's hard (at least for me) to anticipate what they might be.

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
44 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I haven't read any responsed yet, will do that when I have two monitors so I can make a list 🙂

But one thing I really noted, that made a difference, was making the house a sanctuary - with plenty to DO for adults and kids. So play equipment outside, particuarly the backyard so kids are not tempted to play with our non social distancing neighbors. More games - of I kind I can stand (I hate most board games...even as a kid....card games are usually worse, but it turns out I like the Professor Noggin trivia games, so we are stocking up). Paint/art supplies. We have an indoor swing/climbing rope/etc that gets a lot of use. 

If we can swing the cost, getting a heater for the pool would be a huge help for us. A play sprinkler or inflatable pool for others. 

BOOKS!! Will be keeping our Epic Books subscription for the kids, and Kindle Unlimited for me. (who are we kidding...never getting rid of my kindle unlimited subscription, lol). If it looks like we may close down again I'll do what I did last time and stock up on a ton of library books as well. 

Home fitness equipment/videos/etc so we don't gain ANOTHER bunch of weight. 

We did get a second fridge/freezer so will be easier to stock up on food. And we are going to declutter the stuff we don't use to make more room for things we do need - like toilet paper and paper towels and peroxide. 

Hahahaha laughing at myself - I read that last bit too fast and thought you were decluttering to make a room for toilet paper - like, a whole Toilet Paper Room! I am so silly....

i think I was actually in a rush to quote you and echo the art supplies. I’d let our stash get low since we’ve finished actively homeschooling, and it surprised me that we went through them so fast. 

I’m also going to get instruments tuned and stock up on replacement strings for the string instruments. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm in Northern VA - the part of VA that is just reopening into Phase 2.  Our cases are continuing to rise, but what the heck, let's go out and do everything.  Nah...we are hunkered down for the long haul.  My boys have not been anywhere since March 13th.  I only go to my dad's (masked up) and to Target sometimes for drive in pick-up (masked up).  DH has only gone to get gas and to his parents (masked up).  Fun times....

I am continuing to stock up on things we will use for a year.  Coffee, coffee filters, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, kleenex.  I have bleach now, but am still looking for Clorox type wipes.  Meds/vitamins, etc.  We are looking for one more piece of gym equipment, but we've got 2 of the 3 things we wanted in that department.

DH has worked from home for 3 years so that is nothing new.  The boys are currently signed up for 2 on-line classes.  They are also signed up for an in-person Spanish class twice a week.  I am praying that just goes on-line.  I don't think we are signing up for year round swim this year.  We lost a bit of money on the last 3 months of this swim year.  I just don't feel like things will be better and, while the chlorine might kill what is in the water, there is not enough social distancing at the pool.

Our problem will be keeping our elderly parents in and safe for so long.  I KNOW my in-laws will not survive this.  They just won't.  My dad may, but I can't see him going back to his apartment if he gets it and recovers.  I'm not sure what I'll do at that point.  Maybe assisted living or someone staying with him full-time at his 2 bedroom apartment.  The 3 elderly people are my biggest concern as we are doing the stocking up/grocery shopping for them as well.

• Like 6

Since I seem to be in like company on this thread, what are ya'll doing about orthodontist visits if you are in this situation?  I have one almost done with Invsalign.  The other is in full braces and was expected to have them on until maybe December.  We cancelled their appointments for May.  Not sure what I should do here :-(. 

• Thanks 1

In our (de facto) county, more than 3% have tested positive. For our greater community it is closer to 5%. People are wearing masks, but they have been out and about pretty regularly, I think, since before Memorial Day, and our active case numbers and hospitalizations are still declining. I still assume it is everywhere here. I will probably restock on some food over the next month or two, and I will continue to avoid high risk people when I can. And then, we'll take it as it comes, hoping we don't get it but knowing we could.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

The only thing I would change is that if DH is laid off again, I will go out and get a job.  We were getting unemployment, but having him home for those 8 weeks meant that I had the time to get something, and everyone was hiring like crazy.   We could have put quite a bit of money in savings.  

What types of places were hiring like crazy?  I would be interested in some kind job if a future lockdown happens. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Since I seem to be in like company on this thread, what are ya'll doing about orthodontist visits if you are in this situation?  I have one almost done with Invsalign.  The other is in full braces and was expected to have them on until maybe December.  We cancelled their appointments for May.  Not sure what I should do here :-(. 

DS had his final orthodontist appointment scheduled for May, but the office was closed (we would have deferred anyway) and I haven’t heard from them yet. I’d like for him to go one last time to finalise whatever needs to be finalised, but I can’t imagine willingly sending him for a very long time (like a year). 

I have no idea how people are handling their routine visits. 😞 

11 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

What types of places were hiring like crazy?  I would be interested in some kind job if a future lockdown happens. 

Mostly retail places, like Kroger, Costco, etc.  There's also an Amazon distribution center near me and they were hiring as well.  Basically the entry level positions that were for places that were considered essential and never affected by the shut downs.  The ones that were suddenly overwhelmed.  I imagine if coronapocalypse 2.0 happens there will be a lot of people mobbing the stores again and there will be additional hiring.  

• Like 2

@mlktwins  I have one in active braces and one that just got measured for Invisalign. Our last appt they had us wait in the car until they were ready, took temperatures, and then brought them in (masked) until they did the work. I waited in the car.  

I felt like they did all they could, but our area is not currently experiencing a high level of cases.

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Mostly retail places, like Kroger, Costco, etc.  There's also an Amazon distribution center near me and they were hiring as well.  Basically the entry level positions that were for places that were considered essential and never affected by the shut downs.  The ones that were suddenly overwhelmed.  I imagine if coronapocalypse 2.0 happens there will be a lot of people mobbing the stores again and there will be additional hiring.  

A friend's daughter works at Kroger and my friend said that many quit during the lockdown due to fears of illness, etc. and have not come back.  

56 minutes ago, Paige said:

I don't think we will change much. I may buy more food and supplies but it's hard to stock up because I still feel badly buying more than my immediate needs since shortages are continuing in my area. I don't think we can do more other than continuing to be diligent. But half my family members believe that because we have opened up it must be safe! They want to go back to normal.

I feel like it's January and February again and I'm watching people not caring anymore and not concerned, and it's a train wreck. Because really, what has changed? Nothing. Maybe hospitals are stocked better but I don't think they are actually prepared for spikes. I saw this article yesterday and it pretty much reflects my thoughts. America Fails the Marshmallow Test.  (NYT, so might be paywalled). 

I see that everywhere and it bugs the heck out of me. 

I don’t think the second wave is coming early. I think it will come late this year and will have to do with mutation. IOW, I think (i know) the lack of spikes/surges after Memorial weekend and now, after protests, will put a very large amount of people back in the January mindset. And it might cause a lot of harm. 

I’m remaining stocked up in all the things. I’m remaining cautious; I couldn’t possibly care less about going to a restaurant or getting my hair done. 

• Like 4

I have taken note of what I tend to run out of that I really need, and am working on how to make that kind of thing last longer if it’s perishable, and how to store more of it if it’s not.  My main goal is to shop less often, as around me the stores are a major disease vector.  For me those lists are ongoing but here’s what I have in mind:

Tupperware (yes, Tupperware!) has a line of containers for produce called ‘Fridge Smart’ that are going on sale this coming Friday.  I’m going to buy a big set of those, so that I can buy more produce at one time and hope to have it last longer.  They also have nice looking potato and onion keepers that are black with ventilation holes, and when those go on sale I’m getting some, too.  

Milk—This is a tough one.  I hate frozen, thawed milk, and I drink a LOT of milk.  When I was a kid my mother used to buy concentrated milk that froze and thawed really well—you would mix one part of that with two parts of water to get milk, and you could keep a lot of it around.  I have not been able to find this in quite a few years though.  One thing I am going to do is start buying dried milk to use in baking and other non-drinking situations.  That way I can save my typical 2 gallon purchases for just drinking.

Ginger—I really need fresh ginger for my stomach.  Dried just doesn’t seem to work the same way.  I hear you can grow it pretty easily.  I haven’t tried that yet.  In the meantime, I have stocked up on teas with ginger in them, and am stocking up on bottled ginger beer in the hopes that these might work almost as well.

Meat—when it’s reasonably priced I throw a few packages in the deep freeze.

Coffee—stocking filters in quantity, plus have a muslin one as a back up.  Coffee itself I buy in big lots at Costco and freeze, and am gradually building up stores of that.

Dry goods staples—the issue here is good storage.  I just got a bunch of Tupperware rectangular modular mates to store flours and sugars in.  I have half a pound of yeast in the fridge, and made my first sourdough starter earlier this year.

Prescriptions—not sure what to do about those.  I really want to avoid going in for medical tests.  I’ve used the same dose of thyroid meds for years, but can’t get a doctor to prescribe them in quantity without an annual test.  Very annoying.  OTC meds—like the other stuff, I don’t hoard but I do toss an extra package or two into every shopping cart when I can afford it.  That way I’m not depriving anyone else but am gradually building up stores of meds I use fairly often.  

Still debating the dehydrator.  

• Like 4

I don’t know what to do about church.  I miss it so.  When we open up again next weekend, it will be outdoor services only, with no singing and a 25 person limit.  We will have to register for the service we want to attend.  That’s a pallid version of church, to me, although it will be so great to go back.  BUT NO SINGING?  That. Is. Major.  And no entire congregation.  Also major.  This feels so bad.

ETA:  We can’t meet only outside forever.  This is not sustainable.  What can we do in the Fall?   Winter?

Also, just in general, I’m not really interested in eating out or going to bookstores.  Anyone who knows me knows that that is a huge, seismic level shift.  It’s supposed to be FUN, and the concern about disease kind of takes the fun out of it.  I still want to go to yarn stores, because I am a touchy feely knitter, but really have no desire for any other recreational retail therapy.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DS had his final orthodontist appointment scheduled for May, but the office was closed (we would have deferred anyway) and I haven’t heard from them yet. I’d like for him to go one last time to finalise whatever needs to be finalised, but I can’t imagine willingly sending him for a very long time (like a year). 

I have no idea how people are handling their routine visits. 😞 

I decided to have DD13 get her much-needed tune up this month.

Why? Well, the person at highest risk is the orthodontist, and she's valuable. It isn't like the grocery store or fast food place that sees their employees as disposable. The orthodontist is the most important person in the practice and the most at risk. She's going to be very careful. So, I think the economics say this should end up being one of the safer places.

Emily

• Like 6

We’re just trying to stay stocked up. I have been ordering more puzzles and books because I feel the fall/winter is gonna suck. Both of my dc are in college and plan on being on campus in the fall but the school will send them home from Thanksgiving to February. So, we’ll need things to do inside when the weather is bad.

Here in Indiana we enter phase 4 of reopening tomorrow. It was supposed to be Sunday but they felt our numbers were so good they would start a tad earlier. They plan on completely back to normal, with everything opened at full capacity, on July 4th. 😳

• Like 1

This has been a useful thread so far! Since I'm gingerly going out again to shop carefully, this makes me want to begin a new stocking up on beans / flour / dried fruits / household cleaners / etc so that if panic buying occurs again, I can skip it.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Quill said:

I see that everywhere and it bugs the heck out of me. 

I don’t think the second wave is coming early. I think it will come late this year and will have to do with mutation. IOW, I think (i know) the lack of spikes/surges after Memorial weekend and now, after protests, will put a very large amount of people back in the January mindset. And it might cause a lot of harm. 

I’m remaining stocked up in all the things. I’m remaining cautious; I couldn’t possibly care less about going to a restaurant or getting my hair done. 

I can’t find the article now because I read it yesterday and didn’t save it. But the article (from  someplace like NY Times) said that 16 states are showing spikes after Memorial Day. 

The answer to the OP’s question though is that I wouldn’t do anything differently. We had all necessities and then some. Except for Method soap which is still being rationed locally. 

• Like 4

I've heard that there have been spikes since Memorial Day- maybe not a spike in deaths yet, but definitely a spike in hospitalizations. They seem to be especially high in Michigan and Arizona. I have heard people say there's been no spikes, but it doesn't seem to be true- why is that said? I think maybe the protests have dominated the news and people think that there haven't been spikes because it's not talked about constantly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have been going inside stores a few times, though. I am wearing a mask and I feel that quick trips are fairly safe now. It's not that I think things are safer now, but I think the evidence is showing that covid is spread more through extended exposure and not me being in the store for 5-10 min. I'm still doing large grocery orders online.

• Like 5

Oh my biggest pandemic problem was pants!  Mine were getting embarrassing to wear even to the grocery store. But I am a hard shape to shop for online, though I tried and had to return them. So yesterday I was able to hit Target, held pants up against myself (since fitting rooms are closed) and bought two possible pairs. One pair fit, the other didn’t. So I then went online and bought three more of the exact same size etc of the pair that fit. So now I am Pandemic Chic again. 

• Like 13
  • Haha 6

I think most problems we had when the pandemic first began (not enough masks and TP, for starters!) are now solved.  The mad food drive I went on has now been mostly used up, but was sufficient.  Probably in early fall I'll start stocking up again.  We'll be trying to take care of practical tasks over the next couple of months that we've had to put off:  Both my dh and I need new drivers licenses, I need a dental appointment and a new pair of glasses, both my dh and I hope to get haircuts soon!

Other than that, I can't think of much else given our current circumstances that I'd change.

ETA:  I will say that we're still in partly lock-down mode here.  Most restaurants have not opened yet.  Stores require masks.  Everyone is still very careful.  I have no idea when our church will meet in person again.  I haven't been able to see my dh for 2+  weeks since he was taken to the ER.  

Edited by J-rap
  • Sad 7
47 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Ginger—I really need fresh ginger for my stomach.  Dried just doesn’t seem to work the same way.  I hear you can grow it pretty easily.  I haven’t tried that yet.  In the meantime, I have stocked up on teas with ginger in them, and am stocking up on bottled ginger beer in the hopes that these might work almost as well.

Have  you tried grating fresh and freezing it? I've been very impressed with the results. 

• Like 2

I am no longer going to be looking to the government (local, state) for guidance on what is safe for my family. At this point my main concern is public school opening up again ...I don't think that the local school district even has enough resources to handle opening up in a safe manner, therefor they will open up with little modification anyways, and tell us how  the modifications will keep everyone 'safe'. 

• Like 8

We have a long list of things that we are trying to take care of, but can’t, medical and otherwise. Ds needs his adult driver’s license but the DMV isn’t scheduling driver’s tests. I have a recall on my vehicle, but Dh has to drop me off and that’s hard with his work schedule. Those kinds of things.

AFA medical supplies go, we had a good initial stock up just because we had things on hand, but we haven’t seen a resupply come out yet. I don’t know when I will ever see a N95 again (for sale) but I have to go to hospitals for care and don’t really want to step in without one. Some medications are also scarce.

Food is a worry. Our stores haven’t bounced back fully from when they were first hit in late February. There’s food there, not always what you want, and never in the quantity you want except cheese. Cheese is everywhere....especially in the empty meat cases. Prices are way, way up. I am giving serious thought as to menu planning for fall and winter and seeing what I can do that is still nutritious. 

I don’t see us going back to full lockdown. We need the tax revenue dollars and even our bright blue state doesn’t have the political will to do it.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Ds is due to finish up in November. He is going in less often, and taking a first in the am appointment. His orthodontist bought some high end filtering equipment and has done a lot to make things safe. I feel better about his appointments rather than the dentist who has not taken similar safeguards.

Dd is due to go into braces but we are waiting. There’s no harm in waiting for her (jaw structure is ok, etc.). 

• Like 1

This article by Erin Bromage -- no paywall! -- is the best thing I've seen for understanding the risks and thinking about how to mitigate them@Carol in CA -- it won't make not-singing any better but it helped me internalize the benefits of some of these things.  It is hard to feel good about them, for me I guess, and I don't want to be depressed all the time.  Or at least not more depressed all the time.  😉  So I'm trying to move the needle on how I feel about precautions.  

@mlktwins: mine is only in invisalign, but has needed two orthodontist visits.  The office doesn't allow parents into the rooms where work is done, they check temperatures, are masked &c.  I think it is a low risk of exposure to the child despite the close quarters for the reasons @EmilyGF mentioned.  The risk for the orthodontist and the assistants is much higher. 

ETA: here, nothing has changed much.  I also need a thermometer, and am trying to get stuff lined up to make school and our social outlet (roleplaying game, done on Zoom now) more open-and-go.  This was a hard year-and-a-half for on the school front anyhow (elder DS very sick, got forced out of our church) and our RPG group is fraying, so I'm running some games which is not something I'm used to doing!  But it is keeping the group going & having fun. 

And the house needs a lot of work now that we're all living in it all the time.  DH is a professor/scientist and doesn't think he'll be physically back in his lab until January '21.  He's working with his people online and they are in the lab, as needed, in shifts.  At home we could use bookcases up, school space reorganized.  I moved us off the kitchen table and all three of us are working from the boys' shoved-together desks, which is cramped & messy.  We actually could afford to get a bigger table there and to to make some other improvements if I could plan what we need and budget it out with DH, and it would be good for the businesses too. 

So I guess for the second wave, which here is a continuation of the first, I'd like things running smoothly with a sense of peace and joy.  Devil's in the details. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 6

Our local epidemiologist predicted virus activity way down in summer, then rising in Sept/Oct and eventually peaking in January. That was before OR started having an uptick in cases, but they're not too concerned yet saying a lot of that was one food packing plant and much of the rest was better contact tracing and testing. Anyway, I'm still following the basic idea that we're safer doing stuff right now then we will be in fall, so here is some of what I'm planning:

• Dental appointments for everyone except disabled dd schedule for July 2. We were due last March. Youngest's wisdom teeth will be x-rayed, and if they need to come out we'll do that this summer too
  • I got my hair cut March 13th (part of that last flurry of activity). I will get it cut again this summer, possibly a little shorter than usual. It's just a straight shoulder-length cut that gets cut back 3-4 times per year and I do my bangs in between.
  • Spend as much time as possible outdoors and enjoying life this summer. We still socially distance, I do errands only midweek, so we're still pretty cautious, but we can definitely spend time in our backyard, maybe figure out some outdoors kind of day trips, etc.
  • Stock up on berries, make jam, freeze a lot. Garden is in and I'll need to figure out how to freeze or can some of the produce.
  • I'm buying some sweats when they come back for the fall season.
  • Stocking up/staying stocked up continues. You never know what the grocery store will be out of, so I'm trying to have "the next one" for all regularly used items, and some things I will want a supply to last through winter (tp, flour, baking powder and soda, paper towels, clorox wipes, etc.)
  • Hoping dd gets to return to campus this fall, but not known yet. While supplies are still available, I want to make sure she will have hand sanitizer in regular and mini sizes, clorox wipes, vitamin D gummies, and I will make her a full mask wardrobe (she has 3 right now).
  • Make a full mask wardrobe for everyone else too for that matter. And I'm hoping to make a lot for the school where I work. We have a great local sewing brigade that's probably donated over 30,000 masks by this point. I'm thinking we should try to supply every high schooler with 2 masks (no defined school plan yet, but I think 2 days at school and 3 online is a strong possibility.)

I like reading what everyone else is thinking. It's good to remember having fun stuff around too to survive a winter in isolation if needed. We're pretty well stocked for that, but we should put more thought into it. I wish I had had one last library trip the first time, but we had no warning. I am letting myself buy more books (or kindle books) since that source is so limited now (holds can be delivered and we can now return books but that's it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I freeze ginger for recipes (whole, with peel). For me, it is easier to grate it frozen. So I don't see why you couldn't do that, or what klmama (I think?) suggested--to grate it and then freeze. If you don't have a microplane grater, I love using it for ginger, parmesan cheese, and chocolate. It's a great kitchen tool.

ETA: how to freeze ginger https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-freeze-ginger-1388425

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

It might seem like overkill out of context, but my focus is on trying to sell my house (in a questionable local market.)

There isn’t a whole lot for me to do differently, other than needing more space for people and things. I cannot reasonably store more stuff without more room while also having monthly visits from social services. I’m already feeling weird about my packed (but not randomly cluttered) house.

It’d be a huge help to have more indoor space for kids to run around inside in cold weather.

I can store canned and dry goods under my master bed, DSS doesn’t inspect there & it doesn’t clutter up the kitchen or pantry.

• Like 1

I forgot to add....I am planning our next homeschool year (because I withdrew the girls in Feb) so as to need no outside books, supplies, or supports. I am just buying a lot of readers and I have quadrupled the amount of art stuff I typically buy. My girls are happiest with structured school time and only a bit of free open play in the afternoon. I am seriously worried about cabin fever this winter.

Well we haven't gotten past our first wave.  We seem to be having a memorial day spike.  Having our highest case totals this weekend. 

We have bought half a cow and have a CSA box that goes through November so food should be good. 

We bought some all in one adjustable cloth diapers so we don't have to worry about those shortages. 

Find things we can do.  find a stretch of river to play in that's not completely packed. 

• Like 1

I think this is still the first wave in areas with numbers going up now.

We have a CSA membership for summer & already ordered our winter meat from local farmer. Have been working on stock up on canned and dry goods.

books, art supplies, games we are good on. Swim suits, shoes in next size up, & winter gear in next size up already purchased or found in our hand me down bin. 

meds and vitamins I need to do still, oh and night time pull ups

scheduled dentist, psych, & eye appts for next month. I cut our own hair.

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

We just went for our first appointments since February. The ortho's plan is to just keep following the plan as best we can, our one that had a bunch of work that was supposed to happen over the "break" is scheduled 3 appointments in the next 3 months. Then we will see. Luckily the one about done got hers off in January, everyone else still has a lot of time to go (we had 4 in braces). It may get to the point where we have to consider it a high risk necessity and treat it as such taking all kinds of precautions.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who suggested freezing the ginger.  I will try that.

I never grate it.  What I do is peel it and then slice it very thinly.  I end up with about 1-2 inches of slices in the bottom of a big double size mug, and I pour boiling water over them over and over until the results are too weak to be useful.  I don’t really know how many pours I get from each one, but it’s between 5 and 8 I think.  

I notice that once I peel it, sometimes it starts to brown like apples.  So I imagine that the way to freeze it would be to peel and slice it, freeze the slices on a cookie sheet, and then bag them once frozen and put them in the chest freezer so they won’t stick together (no defrost cycle).

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

My daughter has been to ortho visits (and just got her braces off! Woo hoo!).  The staff wore face shields and masks, parents not allowed inside. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My priority is on house hunting but house prices are going up still while supply isn’t much. Fire season seems to have started as well. So people are kind of prepping for fire season haze as they prep for second wave. 

We are stocked up on toilet paper and food.  Now only waiting for isopropyl alcohol to be back in stock. 

My plants are overwatered because my husband is bored working from home. So now his Christmas cactus is sad looking.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Oh my biggest pandemic problem was pants!  Mine were getting embarrassing to wear even to the grocery store. But I am a hard shape to shop for online, though I tried and had to return them. So yesterday I was able to hit Target, held pants up against myself (since fitting rooms are closed) and bought two possible pairs. One pair fit, the other didn’t. So I then went online and bought three more of the exact same size etc of the pair that fit. So now I am Pandemic Chic again. 

Jean! Same thing here with the pants - I am down to one pair of jeans. It was time to replace a couple of pairs at the beginning of the year, and I never got to do that, and holes were literally worn through in strategically bad places. 😳

I live in yoga pants mostly, and I hate buying pants online, but I am going to have to do something before we get quarantined again or I’ll be down to only pj pants before I know it!

As for the spikes, I feel like we are living holiday to holiday. We had to look for spikes from Mothers Day around Memorial Day. We have to look for spikes from Memorial Day around Father’s Day. Spikes from those parties will show up around July 4th. Next thing you know schools will Ve opening. And this cycle doesn’t account for protests. I’m guessing by September/October we’ll be well in the think of it again. We are maintaining caution here. 

• Like 2

We're still in the process of reopening here.   It's being done fairly slowly and carefully, with masks and distancing still being emphasized.   I"m hoping that will keep us from spiking again.  I'm really hoping they don't life the mask requirements anytime soon in public places.   

We are pretty stocked on paper products and food.  Dh mainly shops during the senior hours.  His employment has also not changed throughout all of this and is unlikely to even if things continue.  

The main thing affected by a second spike for us would be my business.  I run science classes for homeschoolers.   Small groups but I'm sure these are the businesses that will be the first to shut down again, if we even get to the point of being allowed to open.  

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Ginger—I really need fresh ginger for my stomach.

For bloat? Old ginger might work as well. However if you prefer fresh ginger, the Asian (99 Ranch, H Mart, Han Kook, India Cash & Carry, K Market) supermarkets all have ample quantities during shelter in place if you don’t care about the country of origin. K Market in Sunnyvale opened recently and no crowds there.

I have grown ginger in containers at my patio. It’s not hard, just very slow growing.

Costco at Blossom Hill was the worse at social distancing though it carries more variety than Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Coleman Ave.