Menu

Baked oatmeal recipe needed

Amber in SJ

Hi all,

I have been making someone here’s fabulous baked oatmeal recipe for a couple of years now, but right now I am in another state far away from my recipes cooking for my daughter & her husband during the few breaks they have from the NICU.  She is being encouraged to eat oats to support breast feeding, so I thought the baked oatmeal would be great but it turns out I don’t have the recipe memorized.  I have tried searching but to no avail.  I tried another recipe yesterday, but it was not as good, so I am begging if someone has that long ago posted recipe to help me out.

Edited by Amber in SJ
Clarity
  • Like 1

Amber is it Mrs Mungo's recipe?

Then here it is-

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries and/or bananas after it's finished cooking.

Eta: You can add an extra egg or two, if you are looking to up the calories and/or protein. It won't change the texture or anything.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I like this recipe but it’s too sweet, I’ve made it with the sugar (and I think the butter, too?) cut by half. These days when I made regular oatmeal I replace the sugar with chopped apples. 

Yeah, I make an 8"x8" pan of baked oatmeal for myself every Sunday--divide it into 6 servings and have 1 a day for 6 days. I love it, but I'm also eating it to be healthy and my recipe looks a lot different. Still 3 cups of oats and 2 eggs, but just 2 Tbs brown sugar, applesauce instead of butter, 1 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups of berries, and 1 diced apple!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Yeah, I make an 8"x8" pan of baked oatmeal for myself every Sunday--divide it into 6 servings and have 1 a day for 6 days. I love it, but I'm also eating it to be healthy and my recipe looks a lot different. Still 3 cups of oats and 2 eggs, but just 2 Tbs brown sugar, applesauce instead of butter, 1 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups of berries, and 1 diced apple!

Is this your exact recipe? I’d like to try it! Do you add the baking powder? Is the applesauce 1/2 cup? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 1:35 PM, mmasc said:

Is this your exact recipe? I’d like to try it! Do you add the baking powder? Is the applesauce 1/2 cup? Thanks!

You know, I just saw this today for the first time. Here is my exact recipe which I know by heart because I make it every Sunday morning! And this is the order I add the ingredients.

2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
6 Tbs flax seed meal (totally optional. I'm hoping it helps my cholesterol)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
3 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups frozen blueberries, or 1 cup blueberries and 1 cup Costco's frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
1 apple, peeled, diced

I mix in stages as I go along. Spray an 8"x8" pan with Pam. Spread this out in pan, trying to distribute berries somewhat evenly. Bake for 35 minutes at 350°. Cut into 6 servings; eat one a day for 6 days, have eggs on Saturday, repeat process on Sunday! 272 calories, 9 gm protein, 8 gm fiber per serving. Great way to start the day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Thanks! I have substituted coconut milk with good results. I’ve not added flax meal but always have that and chia seeds on hand for smoothies, I’ll have to try it in the baked oatmeal.

Ali, do you just eat yours like a breakfast bar, or heat in a bowl? I cut mine in sections and eat in a bowl with chopped pecans and a little more coconut milk. 

The first day of course it's hot and a bit mushy (in a good way). The other days I put a section in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. It's still pretty bar-like, but warm.

15 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Ok same with mine. I wonder if I omitted the baking powder if it might turn out more like a breakfast bar? Gotta try that. 

Mine is so fat for a bar. I would be tempted to try putting it in a 13"x9" pan and just have 2 sections instead of 1.