Menu

Men’s tall athletic pants

bethben

1 hour ago, Pen said:

My son’s track team members also often used stretchy leggings with shorts on top

Yup, leggings are a good choice.

Some of DS's friends just gave up and wear shorts all year (yup, even all winter here in Maine!). 

• Like 1

at that age, given how slim they are at this age - athletic pants can also be found in tall women's. (i've seen women's tall with a 36" inseam.)  If you get navy or black, very few people would be able to tell.  if you look hard you can find tall enough (2dd is a very leggy 5'11".  her legs are 3" longer than her dhs'.)  I'd also look on REI men's tall clearance, and sierratrading post.

2 hours ago, Pen said:

My son’s track team members also often used stretchy leggings with shorts on top

Yes, this was very common when my son was in track.

Have you tried Old Navy tall sizes?  My kids have a lot of luck with their clothes.  Reasonably priced and free returns. 

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

at that age, given how slim they are at this age - athletic pants can also be found in tall women's. (i've seen women's tall with a 36" inseam.)  If you get navy or black, very few people would be able to tell.  if you look hard you can find tall enough (2dd is a very leggy 5'11".  her legs are 3" longer than her dhs'.)  I'd also look on REI men's tall clearance, and sierratrading post.

Ummmmm....women’s pants often don’t fit young men...everywhere...though. We've tried. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Jessica* said:

No suggestions, but I do not understand why it’s so hard to find them considering how many tall boys there are out there!  It’s as though clothing companies never adjusted to the increased average height.  

Signed,

Mom of a 6ft+ 14yo

I agree, it’s a completely missed market. And a huge, lucrative market at that. 
Like, teen boys actually *talk to each other* about how hard it is to find pants! 😳 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Ummmmm....women’s pants often don’t fit young men...everywhere...though. We've tried. 🙂 

depends upon build.  because women have hips- that tends to make them roomier.

I've bought women's velour sport pants for dudeling and he's really liked them.   he's 15, and long and skinny.  (he's taller than dh putting them back to back, we'll see how tall he ends up.  I dont' think of him as particularly tall because i have three who are taller.)

Adidas has been the best fit for my tall guys. Some brands seem to only offer "Tall" in their larger sizes, but we've managed to find Adidas in "Small Tall". Even their regular length pants fit better than other track pants because they're so slim/tapered - with the right socks they look okay a few inches above the ankle. 
https://www.adidas.ca/en/tiro-19-training-pants/D95958.html

• Like 1

I have been searching and searching.  I've checked a ton of places and they are sold out of the tall athletic pants in size small or medium.  Americantall.com has some but they are pricey.  This is SOOO MUCH a marketing niche.  Why hasn't someone figured this out? Reasonably priced athletic pants for the teen guy who shot up like a weed overnight and hasn't had time to pack on the pounds.  Last year, I had to find him shorts for gym.  They "had" to be mesh dark blue and not be over 2 inches above the knee.   They provided a web site where if I had bought them there, he would have missed the 2" above the knee by about 4 inches.  I finally found some basketball shorts that fit him with a proper length but they weren't mesh and weren't dark blue.  I was almost daring the gym teacher mentally to challenge me on it.  She didn't care too much as long as no one was "booty" sexy.  

Also, my 15 year old is slightly autistic so he's pretty particular.  He's happy to wear sports pants that are no kidding six inches too short.  I'm OK with it around the house, but he has to change into his scratchy/itchy jeans if we go outside.  I have no problem finding chinos or jeans in his size (30 waist, 34 inseam), but athletic pants are horrible.  And he LOVES his athletic pants.

DS is 6'7" so this is an ongoing problem for him. Even his university-issued varsity warm ups (XL Tall) are too short for him, so I have to order extra extra long pants in plain black to go with the team warm-up jacket. So far these Nikes are the best I've found. They don't list tall sizes, but you'll see from the reviews that many people complained they were waaay too long. I think they are around 35" inseam. Not cheap, but good quality and they seem to last really well. 
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP9E4E0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

For anyone with tall kids looking for jeans, these inexpensive Wranglers offer a 34 inseam as low as 29 waist and the 36 inseam starts at 33 waist.

For regular casual-but-not-jeans pants, we've had good luck with these Dockers (34 inseam starts at 32 waist, and 36 inseam starts at 34 waist).  

For long tee shirts, DS likes these from Key Apparel, but be warned that they run VERY large — DS actually wears their smallest size (Medium Tall).

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1