Menu

Fine Art Credit ?

Figured I would ask why this is on my mind.  Can we do a fine arts credit that is just doing art with different mediums?  My guys have taken art history, etc. over the years.  They don't like art, but they could probably use some work on this when artsy things are needed for other classes.  I would show you their artwork for their Spanish 1 project, but I'm too embarrassed -- LOL.  They got a good grade because they did great on the Spanish part of it -- LOL. 

What does an art class at a public school do?  Just make art pieces?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Figured I would ask why this is on my mind.  Can we do a fine arts credit that is just doing art with different mediums?  My guys have taken art history, etc. over the years.  They don't like art, but they could probably use some work on this when artsy things are needed for other classes.  I would show you their artwork for their Spanish 1 project, but I'm too embarrassed -- LOL.  They got a good grade because they did great on the Spanish part of it -- LOL. 

What does an art class at a public school do?  Just make art pieces?

Mine did.  We also used Drawing on the Right Side of the  Brain.  With my oldest I used it along with the notebook.  It was good.  He did a 1/2 credit of visual art which included that book, some digital art, photography and an 8 session co-op art class.  He also did a 1/2 credit Introduction to the fine arts which had a drum class, day long drama workshop, 3-D art class at co-op.  You have a lot of leeway.  Fine arts usually includes music if they prefer that.

• Like 2

Sure -- Fine Arts could be two units, each 18 weeks; three units, each 12-weeks; or four units, each 9 weeks, with each unit being a completely different medium.

For DS#1, we created a Filmmaking course for his Fine Arts credit. DS#2 did a combo of things that we called it something like "Fine Arts Sampler", or "Fine Arts Overview"... :
   0.5 credit = drums
+ 0.25 credit = music composition (Garage Band software)
+ 0.25 credit = animation (Blender software).

Also, considera non-traditional area for your Fine Arts credit. A few years ago, I taught a year-long Fine Arts in Film Appreciation -- an intro to film analysis and film history. The students had a ton of fun getting to watch and discuss a classic movie every week. I know several moms counted that as their student's Fine Arts credit on the transcript, as the student was not interested in doing one of the "big 3" -- the usual suspects (lol) of music, theater, or art (drawing/painting). I know of another homeschool family whose son did blacksmithing (making knives and candlesticks) as his Fine Arts credit. 😄 

Fine Arts credits encompass a wide variety of things:

- fine arts -- drawing, painting, print making, silk-screening, etc.
- performance arts -- music, dance, theater, etc.
- studio arts -- pottery/ceramics, sculpture, fibers/weaving, woodworking, jewelry making, welding/metal-working, etc.
- visual arts -- filmmaking, photography, etc.
- digital arts -- animation, graphics, web design, etc.
- appreciation -- history and understanding of film, theater, art, music, etc)
- creation -- composing of music, choreography of dance, making theatre costumes/sets, book-making (physical process), etc.
- theory -- fundamentals of design, color, composition, etc.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Thank you all!  We are finishing our photography fine arts elective in the next month or 2.

We are going to be home a lot this next year and I really think they need to work on their art abilities -- so they don't embarrass themselves down the road - LOL.  The only way they will do that is if they are required to for credit and I keep a portfolio - LOL.  We will see.

I like the film appreciation and some of the other options as well.  One is interested in guitar so maybe that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

... We are finishing our photography fine arts elective in the next month or 2...

I'm sure you know that colleges only require ONE credit of Fine Arts -- so you really do not have to do more than that one credit during the four years of high school. And photography is a great Fine Arts course. Also, for those who have STEM-oriented students, just doing one Fine Arts credit in high school can allow more time to focus on course work in prep for college/career. Or for those who have students who hate Fine Arts, once they've completed one credit of the Fine Arts, they could move on and use their time to explore other interests.

Just a thought. 😉Of course, if it is your goal and requirement for your homeschool to do some sort of Fine Arts each year of high school, then disregard. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

I'm sure you know that colleges only require ONE credit of Fine Arts -- so you really do not have to do more than that one credit during the four years of high school. And photography is a great Fine Arts course. Also, for those who have STEM-oriented students, just doing one Fine Arts credit in high school can allow more time to focus on course work in prep for college/career. Or for those who have students who hate Fine Arts, once they've completed one credit of the Fine Arts, they could move on and use their time to explore other interests.

Just a thought. 😉Of course, if it is your goal and requirement for your homeschool to do some sort of Fine Arts each year of high school, then disregard. 😄 

I know, we should just move on -- LOL.  And we probably will!!  They still need to practice some art -- LOL.  Their teacher and I had a great laugh.  Thank goodness it was a Spanish class and not an art class for a grade -- LOL.

Thank you!!!

Not to derail the thread, but if you choose music for the Fine Arts credit, what/how do you document? dd plays piano, takes weekly lessons (which includes instruction in theory) and plays on the worship band at church. She definitely logs enough hours to count as a credit, I'm just not sure what to document/put in her portfolio.

42 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Not to derail the thread, but if you choose music for the Fine Arts credit, what/how do you document? dd plays piano, takes weekly lessons (which includes instruction in theory) and plays on the worship band at church. She definitely logs enough hours to count as a credit, I'm just not sure what to document/put in her portfolio.

That's plenty. No need for some sort of written output. Move forward with learning via instruction,  log the hours for practice, write up what you just said here as your course description.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

We are going to be home a lot this next year and I really think they need to work on their art abilities -- so they don't embarrass themselves down the road - LOL.  The only way they will do that is if they are required to for credit and I keep a portfolio - LOL.  We will see.

55 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I know, we should just move on -- LOL.  And we probably will!!  They still need to practice some art -- LOL.  Their teacher and I had a great laugh.  

Doing Art as a subject in public elementary school was a killjoy for DS15. When we switched to homeschooling, my kids did a pottery/ceramics class and enjoyed the experience. We didn't do Art in middle school, my teens just draw at leisure. My avatar is drawn by DS15 years ago. My Art grade was an F (1st to 8th grade compulsory) until I went to engineering school and scored As for computer graphics. I can draw good blueprints for buildings, oil rigs, luxury liners, and I can draw street maps for strangers who are lost.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Doing Art as a subject in public elementary school was a killjoy for DS15. When we switched to homeschooling, my kids did a pottery/ceramics class and enjoyed the experience. We didn't do Art in middle school, my teens just draw at leisure. My avatar is drawn by DS15 years ago. My Art grade was an F (1st to 8th grade compulsory) until I went to engineering school and scored As for computer graphics. I can draw good blueprints for buildings, oil rigs, luxury liners, and I can draw street maps for strangers who are lost.

19 hours ago, Lori D. said:

I draw great stick figures and simplistic cartoon pigs, and that has carried me Art-wise all through adulthood with NO problems. 😂

This is good to know -- LOL!!! Thanks so much for sharing - makes me feel better about it all!!!  I have one boy who is great at stick figures -- LOL!!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oldest D'S was completely uninterested in any type of art but loved music so we counted 4 years of piano and guitar as his fine arts.

2nd D'S was more interested and did 4 years of piano and guitar as well as a semester of filmmaking. He would have done music theory DE as well but they didn't offer any in person classes and he didn't want to do it online.

DD did 2 years of piano but doesn't want to continue. She will probably take a music history class at some point but not sure.

I know some people's kids practice enough to qualify for a full credit in 1 year, but not my kids. They had 1 half hour lesson per week and maaaaaaybe practiced a half an hour 3 or 4 other days each week. Evenings and weekends are so busy that there's no way they put in 5 hours per week, so I didn't feel comfortable giving them a full credit each year. I have our a quarter credit for each year of lessons/practicing.