Menu

The summer of retro tv.

fairfarmhand

When we started quarentining back in March, we instituted Black and White Wednesday night. We have been watching shows like Andy Griffith, the Real McCoys, Green Acres (not black and white but a spin off from black and white Petticoat Junction), the Addams family, the Beverly Hillbillies etc. We tried the Honeymooners, but no one liked it, it was just Ralph being mean to his wife, everyone yelling and then kissing in the end. We serve up a black and white themed snack to go with. It's been fun and all 8 of us have enjoyed it. All of the shows are on Amazon Prime.

• Like 4

A funny- I love watching a lot of older shows.  My kids often watch and enjoy so many of them.  This year it paid off when my kids were playing a trivia game at a group thing.  They were the only teens who could identify MASH, Golden Girls, Gilligan’s Island, Andy Griffin and Emergency. And knew the words to a few theme songs. Lol

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bethben said:

It's been MASH for me.

My sons and I have been watching that on an endless loop since the beginning of the year. They stay up later than their sisters, so after the girls go to bed, we watch MASH...none of us has gotten tired of it, and we have no desire to watch anything else. Last night I dreamt I was at the 4077th, and it seemed my sole purpose there was to annoy Frank Burns, and it was working! 🙂

• Like 1

I have been watching the old MacGyver and then the new MacGyver.  It has been fascinating to me to see how they have introduced new takes on certain main characters and villains.  And to see what is addressed differently.

I have done the same with the old Magnum P.I. and the new one.

And the old Hawaii 5-0 and the new one.  (Though the new one is now done.)

It's also been interesting to me to see how issues like immigration, spies, nuclear arms, bioweapons were plotlines back then even as they are now. 

3 hours ago, bethben said:

It's been MASH for me.

I was looking for MASH recently! Where are you watching it? 

3 hours ago, MrsMommy said:

My sons and I have been watching that on an endless loop since the beginning of the year. They stay up later than their sisters, so after the girls go to bed, we watch MASH...none of us has gotten tired of it, and we have no desire to watch anything else. Last night I dreamt I was at the 4077th, and it seemed my sole purpose there was to annoy Frank Burns, and it was working! 🙂

On 6/7/2020 at 4:38 PM, MrsMommy said:

We're watching through that right now...I had forgotten how funny it was!

We watch more retro TV than anything else. I Love Lucy and The Dick Van Dyke Show are our favorites.

Those are two of our favorites too.  🙂 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, MissLemon said:

The Carol Burnett Show is on Amazon Prime! ❤️

Oh my goodness, that show has such strong memories for me!  My brother and I used to hole ourselves up in my bedroom during my parents' bridge parties and watch first Mary Tyler Moore, then Bob Newhart, and ending with the Carol Burnett Show.  Loved all of them!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Brady Bunch. Those kids were excellent actors. Actually, everyone was great. Very cheesy and very fun.

The goat episode is the best.

I love The Brady Bunch. Dh and I have had an ongoing (goodnatured) argument for the past 30 years over which show is better, The Brady Bunch or The Partridge Family. Clearly, the Bradies win hands down - at least imo.🙂

• Like 1

I've been enjoying old game shows like Match Game and Hollywood Squares  It's kind of fun to go back and see the people from my childhood like:  Charles Nelson Reilly, Paul Lind, Brett Somers, Gene Rayburn, Nipsey Russell, and Burt Convoy.  I don't watch the whole show, but tune it in for a few moments.   

My husband and I have been enjoyed "Lovejoy" and "Silent Witness" too.  Those aren't quite as old as my childhood, but they at least 20 or more years old. 

Murder She Wrote is keeping dh and I busy this summer. Prime has 5 seasons, and they are LONG seasons! It reminds us of when ds was a tot and we'd tuck him in bed & turn on the latest adventure of Jessica Fletcher. Man, those hairstyles and huge glasses crack us up!

And I'll admit I'm watching Brady Bunch for kicks, too...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Twigs said:

What, may I ask, are black and white themed snacks? Please tell us!!

So far as I can remember, we've had : Root beer floats, oreos, brownies and ice cream, puppy chow, olive and mozzarella skewers,  popcorn with chocolate drizzle, chocolate milk and animal crackers, little Debbie cakes, moon pies, trail mix with marshmallow and chocolate covered raisens, chocolate chip cookies and milk, ice cream sandwiches, sugar cookies with chocolate frosting, chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting, a lot of chocolate! cracked black pepper crackers spread with cream cheese ( a stretch but what we had when I forgot to plan a snack!)

• Like 1