Menu

Washington, DC hotels

Sneezyone

Farrar, I know you're local to the area, but if anyone else has a good recommendation about where to stay this August, I'd love a recommendation or two. We have a bajillion IHG points so I'd like to stay with one of their branded hotels but is there an advantage to being on C street vs. Crystal city if the subways are running?

8 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

What would you be doing in the city?  Where would you want to go?

We are driving up to attend the national march but I do not want to have to use my car to get around. Prices for hotels are rising FAST. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Would you be meeting people there?  When I think of the largest events that I've been to on the Mall, like the first Obama inauguration, or the 2017 Women's March, it was really important to come from the same side of the Mall as the people we were meeting, because crossing the Mall, except maybe by metro under it, wasn't an option. 

Yes. I have a couple of places in mind. I have a few friends/family that would like to attend as well so we're trying to find a hotel that will work for everyone. I'm just not sure about relying on the subway.

Just now, CuriousMomof3 said:

But I guess I'd asking if you'd be meeting someone from DC. So, for example, if I was meeting up with someone who was coming from Capital Hill, I'd want to be on the southern side of the city, or VA, to increase the likelihood of being able to connect.  If I was meeting someone coming from  Brookland, I'd want to be on the Northern side of the city, or MD. But if the person was coming from the same hotel as me, that wouldn't be an issue.  

There's an EVEN hotel that takes IHG points right by the Twinbrook metro.  Out in the suburbs, but straight shot down the Red Line. 

Usually, I think that relying on the subway would be fine.  I think that given that Trump clearly has no respect for home rule, I can come up with some scenario where he orders it shut or something.  I am no longer confident that the first amendment matters to the executive branch.  

Ah, no, I'm not meeting anyone in DC. All of us will be coming from at least 30 minutes away. Evenmy MD friend plans to stay overnight. I'm just afraid of the crowds making accessing the subways an unlikely or unwise option for timely transport, lol.

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think if the only reason why you're coming is the March, then you'll need to leave early, and you'll want to be near the end of a line.  I think that, in this circumstance, staying close to the city but not walking distance (e.g. in Crystal City) would make it hard to get on a train.  

I'd expect the subway to be super crowded with friendly people who share your ideology, but are probably going to be a lot closer than you'd ideally like.  And some of them will have covid.  Other than covid, I wouldn't expect to feel unsafe in the subway, unless I had a shorter person with me.  In my experience, having a child pressed in a large crowd, even a friendly crowd, can be scary.  

This was my thinking too. I'm looking at a few places within a 10 minute walk of the national mall. That seems do-able. Both of my kids are taller than me so no worries there. LOL.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1