Menu

Anyone use D-Mannose? (UTI content)

Spryte

Anyone use D-Mannose for treatment or prevention of UTIs?  

If you do, can you tell me what type and what dose you take for both prevention and treatment if you suspect one?  Pros and cons?

Obviously, Rxs are necessary sometimes but I’m hoping/wondering if one can treat a UTI in the beginning stages with D-Mannose as some Dr. Google sites suggest.  Dr. Google being generic, random websites I’m reading in desperation, and not an actual doctor, of course.

This has never been an issue for me, till recently.  Ugh!  UTIs are not fun.  And can be serious.

Thanks!  Off to a telehealth visit .., 

3 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

i agree. UTIS are not fun.  I use d-Mannose but I also use Body Anew Kidney formula.  I use these 2 things and lots of lots of water.  It works.  Also, check out the drugstore under UTIS/bladder, there are some Cranberry drinks for utis, too.

Thanks, I’ll check out Body Anew.  In the meantime, since I have one starting - how much D-Mannose do you take?  Do you take it if you have one?

Sigh.  It’s possible I have a kidney stone at the moment, too, but for the moment we are hoping it responds to Cipro.

Oh, you taking Cipro?  THAT should get rid of uts.  I used to take Cipro but I startd getting allergic to antibiotics so I found alternative remedies.  Take 1 tsp of D-mannose 3 or 4 times a day for infection. LOTS OF WATER.  Cant stress that enough.   I think you can take D-mannose once a day for prevention.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nicholas_mom said:

Oh, you taking Cipro?  THAT should get rid of uts.  I used to take Cipro but I startd getting allergic to antibiotics so I found alternative remedies.  Take 1 tsp of D-mannose 3 or 4 times a day for infection. LOTS OF WATER.  Cant stress that enough.   I think you can take D-mannose once a day for prevention.  

Thanks!  Yes, I posted and then had a telehealth visit.  Man, I’m sick of UTIs.  Ugh!  

There’s a small chance it’s a stone - I’m prone to those, too.  Grrrrrr.  I am having quite a bit of pain, so it’s possible, but I think UTI.

Thanks!

I started using DMannose preventatively and haven’t had a UTI while doing so.  I didn’t get a lot of UTIs, so not sure if there are no more UTIs because of the D Mannose or because of luck.  

I buy this one powdered version:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWKDF6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I take 2 grams in about a shot glass worth of water right before bed.  I weigh it on the digital scale we use for science experiments.  🙂  If you don’t have a scale, it’s about a teaspoon.  Note: that daily dose is for preventative and not for curative.  To cure one, you have to take a lot more.  

If you read the comments in the above link, there is everything you probably need to know about treating a current infection. However, I also weeded through a number of the comments and cut and pasted any that I thought I’d want to reference in the future.  So, instead of reading all the comments for yourself, you can read through what I pulled from the comments below.  

I’ll copy and paste all my notes for you here—the comments that seemed useful from the above and notes from boardies here at WTM, and some other things. None of the below is in my own words.  (Cutting and pasting on my ipad makes the font wonky...sorry.)  

UTI infection: D mannose

(if it’s not a UTI: I've also had times I was sure I had a UTI - my urine was super acidic and that was the source of my symptoms. (even the culture was negative) for that - my dr had me do 1/4 tsp baking soda in water 2x per day to neutralize the acidity in my body.—wtmer GardenMom5)

There are a few methods:

HOW I TAKE IT WHEN I HAVE A UTI (note that I have NOT A single UTI since I started using this as prevention!!)

Okay when you notice signs of UTI (aka the horrible feeling of death, burning, and would rather give birth again,) take one large teaspon in about 2 onces of water. now WAIT 45 mins so it can go through your body to your bladder, you want it to grab as much bacteria as possible, then start drinking alot of water like a large deer park water bottle at least 12-16 onces of water. Then wait 2-3 hours and repeat, then after the first two doses, do it EVERY 3-4 hours until sympotns start to disappear, I take AZO with it the first 24 hours to help with pain, but after about 20-30 hours, you are going to be shocked at how much better you feel.

IN NON PARAGRAPH FORM:

DOSE: Take one large tsp of D-Mannose in 2 oz water.  

WAIT: Wait 45 min, drink 16 oz or more of water.

Wait 2-3 hours and repeat the DOSE and WAIT steps.

Now wait 3-4 hours and repeat the DOSE and WAIT steps.

Continue repeating the DOSE and WAIT steps every 3-4 hours until the infection is gone.  (Round the clock.)

Take Uristat/AZO in the first 24 hours, but within 20-30 hours the infection should be going away.  

After doing a little bit more research, I found something called the waterfall method. This method is meant to prevent UTIs from occurring after having intercourse. I mix 1 tsp. of D mannose in the morning with a full 8 oz. glass of water and drink it. Then, one hour before sex, I take it again (1 tsp. of D mannose with 8 oz. of water). Immediately after sex, I take another dose. Afterwards, I take another dose every 6 hours for a full 24 hours after to make sure that there's no bacteria left in my system. This method has worked for me every time, and since following this method, I haven't had another UTI. I am so thankful to have found this product and I hope that this helps others. I have not experienced any side effects from taking this product.

My 20 yr old cat who has chronic kidney disease takes 1/8 tsp 2x a day in 5mls of water with her meds to prevent UTI's. I have been using it with her for over a year now and it works really well on certain types of UTI bacteria. The secret is to not mix with too much water so that it clings to the sides of the bladder, I think. I'm on our 3rd bottle in a little over a year. Will continue to buy for as long as it works for her.

I read some medical research about the product, and the studies I read about found that D-Mannose is slightly more effective than Macrobid when used as a regular preventative measure.

Each day I take a teaspoon of D-Mannose in a small glass of water. I make sure I drink plenty of tea and water throughout the day.

If I happen to get a UTI, which only happened 3 or 4 times last year, I take a tablespoon in a glass of water. Then I take another tablespoon with more water about 2-3 hours later. I do this until the symptoms subside, usually in about a day. Then I take a regular dose in the morning and at night for two or three more days before returning to my regular dose.

It's been a full year, and I haven't had to make a call to the doctor for a UTI. I've been able to completely clear them up with D-Mannose. I've never had any side effects. It's truly been a lifesaver! I am thankful every day that I found this product!

This is truly a life saver for me. I get UTI's at the drop of a hat. Antibiotics weren't working for me and I was sick of telling doc's I still had a UTI after taking multiple rounds of antibiotics. I now use this along with Monolaurin. I don't usually have to use both, but if by chance I notice the D-Mannose isn't working, then the Monolaurin will. I followed another user's advice on using the D-Mannose, by first putting a heaping teaspoon in just 4 oz of water, then waiting 45 minutes before drinking more. Ever since doing that method I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I always make sure I have this in stock!

Anyhow - now since using this product I haven’t had a UTI in 2 years. As soon as I feel a little tingle or anything “off” I take a dose of this in 2-4 ounces of water. I find it works best first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Wait an hour and the guzzle some water. Wait 4 hours and repeat. And somehow it works! I repeat this for a 24-48 hour period and boom all clear.

As someone who suffers from chronic UTIs, this stuff is a life saver. Wait until your bladder is empty, take a good-sized spoonful of the powder without any water or VERY LITTLE water. Wait about 45 minutes, then chug as much water as you can. This gives the powder enough time to stick to the walls of your bladder and flush out the bacteria.

If you have a dog or cat thats prone to UTI's, this is a good supplement to keep on hand. If you have a cat with chronic UTI's, make sure to avoid all dry food and treats, cats in particular need a lot of moisture to keep kidneys and bladder flushed. For dog food, fresh food is always best, but if you feed kibble make sure its decent quality with no corn/wheat/soy, byproducts or dyes/preservatives. Also, email the company to inquire about ash levels. More ash= higher recurrence of UTI's. (ideally, it should be 7% or under).

As far as dosage, for cats,- 1/2 tps mixed in with canned food or broth if they'll drink it.

Dogs up to 40 lbs- 1 tsp mixed with 1/3 cup of goats milk or low sodium broth. You can add it to food, but it works better suspended in liquid.

Dogs over 40 lbs- 2 teaspoons with broth/goats milk.

You can give this up to 3 times a day until UTI clears.

Another article about D-mannose: 

https://kresserinstitute.com/treat-prevent-utis-without-drugs/

The typical dose of D-mannose for UTI treatment is 500 mg, in capsule or powder form, taken in a glass of water or juice every two to three hours for five days. It is a good practice to continue taking the supplement even after symptoms have diminished to ensure complete elimination of the bacteria in the urinary tract. This dose can also be taken as a preventative, or prophylactic, method.

From the above article: If it’s not e-coli:

Alternative Treatments for Chronic UTIs

One caveat with D-mannose is that it is only effective with UTIs caused by E. coli infection. While this accounts for about 90% of cases, there are 10% that will not benefit from this treatment. In this case, supplements that help disrupt biofilms can be useful in treating and preventing UTIs.

Biofilms are an accumulation of microorganisms and their extracellular products forming structured communities attached to a surface such as the lining of the urogenital tract. (5) The development of a biofilm can make infections extremely hard to treat, since they commonly return shortly after treatment is stopped. The antibacterial resistance of pathogenic biofilms is one of the major reasons why those who get a UTI are highly susceptible to getting more in the future – if the biofilm is not completely eliminated, the infection will eventually return at some point.

This is why the use of biofilm disruptors can be helpful for preventing the recurrence of chronic UTIs. (6) The biofilm disruptors that I recommend to my patients are InterFase Plus from Klaire Labs or Biofilm Defense from Kirkman. These contain specialized enzymes to disrupt the biofilm matrix embedding potential of pathogens, and dissolve the sugar and fibrin components of most pathogenic biofilms. By destroying the biofilms, the recurrence of UTIs despite proper hygiene can be reduced. (7)

Lauricidin is another supplement that may be helpful in treating UTIs, particularly those that are caused by bacteria other than E. coli. Lauricidin (a proprietary form of monolaurin) has anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial activity, and is specific against pathogenic bacteria so it won’t disrupt beneficial bacteria in the gut. It is highly effective at combating gram positive bacteria in the families of Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Corynebacterium, Listeria, Bacillus, and Clostridium. (8) It works by disturbing the integrity of the bacterial cell membrane, blocking replication and making it easier for the immune system to destroy the pathogen. Lauricidin is only helpful, however, for UTIs not caused by E. coli, which is gram negative and has a different kind of outer cell membrane than gram positive bacteria.

Nattokinase from Source Naturals is another enzyme that has been shown to dissolve biofilms. (9) Produced by the bacteria found in the fermented food natto, this enzyme is proteolytic and can help break down the fibrin proteins that maintain the structure of biofilms. Because of its fibrin-breaking ability, it’s important that nattokinase supplements are not taken by people with bleeding disorders, or by people who are taking Coumadin (warfarin), aspirin, or any other drug that influences blood clotting, unless supervised by a physician.

Apolactoferrin (or lactoferrin) is one more supplement that I recommend to my patients with recurring UTIs. This multifunctional protein Lactoferrin is a component of the immune system with antimicrobial activity, and is part of the innate defense, mainly found in secretions and mucosal surfaces. (10) Lactoferrin has been shown to block pathogenic biofilm development by binding to iron and causing the bacteria to “wander” across surfaces instead of forming cell clusters and biofilms. (1112) One study found that the amount of E. coli bacteria in the kidneys and bladder of mice was significantly reduced 24 hours later by oral lactoferrin treatment, compared to a control group. (13) More research is necessary to demonstrate the effectiveness of lactoferrin in treating UTIs, but I believe it is worth trying, especially if dealing with chronic UTIs.

Edited by Garga

53 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Anyone use D-Mannose for treatment or prevention of UTIs?  

If you do, can you tell me what type and what dose you take for both prevention and treatment if you suspect one?  Pros and cons?

Obviously, Rxs are necessary sometimes but I’m hoping/wondering if one can treat a UTI in the beginning stages with D-Mannose as some Dr. Google sites suggest.  Dr. Google being generic, random websites I’m reading in desperation, and not an actual doctor, of course.

This has never been an issue for me, till recently.  Ugh!  UTIs are not fun.  And can be serious.

Thanks!  Off to a telehealth visit .., 

You asked about pros and cons.  At first, for a couple of weeks, my stools were a little softer than normal and maybe I felt a little rumbling in my lower belly.  But it wasn’t a big deal.  And it went away.  I guess my body adjusted to it or something. Also, there have been weeks where I’ve stopped taking it entirely and when I started up again, my body adjusted to it right away without the tummy issues, so that was good.

Otherwise, I have had no cons.  

And I’m sorry you have a UTI. I just about lose my mind when I have one of those things. And for months afterwards (months), I’m scared every time I use the bathroom, fearing that I’ll have another UTI.  It’s like my brain fixates on the UTI for months after one.  I hate them so much.  I hope that yours goes away and that the D mannose makes it so it never comes back.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Garga said:

You asked about pros and cons.  At first, for a couple of weeks, my stools were a little softer than normal and maybe I felt a little rumbling in my lower belly.  But it wasn’t a big deal.  And it went away.  I guess my body adjusted to it or something. Also, there have been weeks where I’ve stopped taking it entirely and when I started up again, my body adjusted to it right away without the tummy issues, so that was good.

Otherwise, I have had no cons.  

And I’m sorry you have a UTI. I just about lose my mind when I have one of those things. And for months afterwards (months), I’m scared every time I use the bathroom, fearing that I’ll have another UTI.  It’s like my brain fixates on the UTI for months after one.  I hate them so much.  I hope that yours goes away and that the D mannose makes it so it never comes back.

Thank you, and yes!  These things make me so paranoid.  

52 minutes ago, Spryte said:

how much D-Mannose do you take?

I take capsules with each meal, so 3 a day. 

Do you have an at home UTI test to know if that's what is going on? I had a positive test one time, started the d-mannose, and it has been in check since. Yes, I think maybe I had some funky bowel symptoms or something at first, but they were nothing major. Maybe just ramp up. And I think when I had that positive I went really gung ho, like 2-2-2-2 or something. That 1-1-1 is a maintenance thing. I do it mainly because I was doing some traveling and tend to indulge when I travel, oops. (ice cream, sweets)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

I take capsules with each meal, so 3 a day. 

Do you have an at home UTI test to know if that's what is going on? I had a positive test one time, started the d-mannose, and it has been in check since. Yes, I think maybe I had some funky bowel symptoms or something at first, but they were nothing major. Maybe just ramp up. And I think when I had that positive I went really gung ho, like 2-2-2-2 or something. That 1-1-1 is a maintenance thing. I do it mainly because I was doing some traveling and tend to indulge when I travel, oops. (ice cream, sweets)

I do have an at home test, and it wasn’t a glaring positive.  It was positive for leukocytes but looked negative for nitrites.  The test basically said, call your doc, this could be a UTI.  Not super helpful!  

But I’m having other classic symptoms, including low back right side pain, which I’ve had with UTIs before.  Of course, as the doc said, it also kind of sounds like a kidney stone, ugh!  But the pain is not as bad as a stone, so I think UTI.

What kind of capsules do you take?  I have powder on hand, but caps sound easier!

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

What kind of capsules do you take?

https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-D-mannose-500-Capsules/dp/B079X3YFXS/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n2_0?cv_ct_cx=d-mannose&dchild=1&keywords=d-mannose&pd_rd_i=B079X3YFXS&pd_rd_r=4459170e-ea6d-4e5e-9d63-a85500c32b8c&pd_rd_w=L4vdA&pd_rd_wg=7M3gC&pf_rd_p=1da5beeb-8f71-435c-b5c5-3279a6171294&pf_rd_r=3ERTDHTGDZR5MM3DF2AZ&psc=1&qid=1591396461&sr=1-2-70f7c15d-07d8-466a-b325-4be35d7258cc  easy peasy. 

I have no clue on the kidney stone thing, but isn't part of the treatment for that water? 

If you take vitamin D, do you take K2 as well? Something I read made me think taking D without K2 could result in kidney stones, but I have no clue about that.

• Thanks 1