Menu

Have you eaten anything interesting lately?

PeterPan

34 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Raita is actually quite versatile you can dump any veggies with it like carrots, bell peppers, celery. Basically anything you can eat raw I dump in it.

Pupusa is the mexican thing stuffed with meat or cheese right ? 

It is not really that much harder to make. The thing is the paneer needs to be crumbly and the meat in a kheema is supposed to be ground.

https://www.tarladalal.com/Paneer-Parathas-Punjabi-Paneer-Paratha-30912r

I've included two versions of it, one video and one step by step instructions. Rolling out the stuffed paratha is the hardest, but once you get the hang of it, not so much,

Veg Hakka and chilli paneer sounds very nice. Your kid sounds so lovely like mine, he is always wanting to experiment and picking something new to cook. Even DH who cooks with me is more like a sous chef. DS is a true partner. 

Typically Salvadoran or Honduran.

Bill

7 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

This is my understanding, and @Dreamergal l can correct me if I'm wrong.  But you now how Americans sometimes take a food, and make it our own? Like Spaghetti is Italian, but Spaghettios are American-Italian.  Or how there's Mexican and then there's Tex-Mex?   So, in India, there are dishes that they make that are Chinese influenced, but are unique to India, they aren't eaten in China, and those dishes are called IndoChinese.

Earlier in this thread, I asked about paneer, and @Dreamergal gave me a recipe.  So, we googled things to make with it, and my kid decided that he wants to make chili paneer, and hakka noodles, which are both IndoChinese.

Indochina is an archaic term referring to SE Asia, I thought.

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

So, what dessert should we make?  

Something international.

Didn't you see the other thread? German chocolate, hahaha. No seriously, I know it's not german. But that Hershey's recipe is good and it might cure anything that ails you. Coconut is quite healthy. 

14 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Is kherr the same as kheer?  

Oops. I meant kheer. Typo.

I like mine with nuts (especially pistachio) and saffron and golden raisins (sultanas). I prefer lightly sweet. Flakes of edible gold leaf purely optional.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

23 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

It's this darn pandemic.

I think I need something for now that is not kheer.  It's back to that psychological hangup thing.  What else could I make?  It doesn't have to be Indian, anywhere in the world, but not puddingish.  

When I'm not certain, I go get some of those hazelnut filled cigar cookies and start eating them till I know the answer. 

PS. My next stop is brioche cinnamon rolls. Maybe they're kinda french? LOL https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/overnight-brioche-cinnamon-rolls/ They serve them at Gaston's Tavern at Magic Kingdom.

Edited by PeterPan

2 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Oooh that looks delicious.  I am intimidated by yeast.  I don't think I've ever cooked with it.  

They're saying to use the Red Star Platinum yeast, which I think comes with extra yeast angels that watch over it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

🤣🤣🤣'

As someone who uses that yeast for regular bread baking (in a bread machine,) I think it might very well actually have that little feature built in lol  

Where do you buy yours? I ordered it online, but it would be convenient if it were available locally. Right now our shelves are completely wiped of yeast. I'm not sure if bread or cinnamon rolls are the comfort food, but there you go, someone has been eating them? Or they're making beer? Oh mercy. 

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

We're still only shopping online, and when i search for yeast in my online store, it helpfully suggest Monistat as the only yeast related thing that isn't sold out.  I assume that isn't a good substitute, so baking with yeast will also have to wait. 

Yeah, that's what my Walmart is showing too, lol. The Red Star site is referring people to this vendor, and apparently mine shipped right away. http://www.onlinegroceryoutlet.com/platinum-superior-baking-yeast-3-ct.html  Now whether it survives 95 degree weather, I can't say. But it is in stock and did ship. I decided to spring for some Platinum Sourdough yeast as well. I thought I'd try this https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/whole-wheat-sourdough-sandwich-bread/  I don't normally even eat bread (just dabs when I eat out, not a regular thing), but my dh and ds will be elated. I don't even keep it in the house, hehe. People come over and want bread/toast with their coffee and are mystified. Eventually they wise up and bring their own bread with their own coffee. LOL  Anyways, I thought it looked good.

For all you bread bakers out there who are getting low on yeast:  You don't need to use the amount of yeast called for.  I think most recipes call for 2-1/4 tsp but you can successfully make bread for 1 tsp (or ever less)  It does take longer to rise, but if you have the time, this is a good method to save your yeast. This works for sandwich breads, but doughs with lots of butter and eggs do need a bit more yeast.   I buy in bulk and store it in my freezer, and always use 1 tsp per loaf with good results.  I do this because I am cheap!  Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there.  (I also never heat my liquids and I don't put it in a warm spot to rise either)

Here is an article from King Arthur that discusses it - https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2020/04/30/how-to-bake-bread-using-less-yeast

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LuvToRead said:

For all you bread bakers out there who are getting low on yeast:  You don't need to use the amount of yeast called for.  I think most recipes call for 2-1/4 tsp but you can successfully make bread for 1 tsp (or ever less)  It does take longer to rise, but if you have the time, this is a good method to save your yeast. This works for sandwich breads, but doughs with lots of butter and eggs do need a bit more yeast.   I buy in bulk and store it in my freezer, and always use 1 tsp per loaf with good results.  I do this because I am cheap!  Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there.  (I also never heat my liquids and I don't put it in a warm spot to rise either)

Here is an article from King Arthur that discusses it - https://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2020/04/30/how-to-bake-bread-using-less-yeast

That's interesting. My bread maker recipes mostly call for one teaspoon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, LuvToRead said:

I ordered nice yeast to try a brioche cinnamon roll recipe. I don’t know if half my yeast died in shipping or if it was the way the recipe said to combine but it took FORDVER to rise. So I guess less works if you know your beasts are alive lol

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterPan said:

I ordered nice yeast to try a brioche cinnamon roll recipe. I don’t know if half my yeast died in shipping or if it was the way the recipe said to combine but it took FORDVER to rise. So I guess less works if you know your beasts are alive lol

Yes, alive yeast does work better LOL.  Brioche is a slower rise dough but is soooo worth the wait.  I bet they were delicious!

11 hours ago, LuvToRead said:

Yes, alive yeast does work better LOL.  Brioche is a slower rise dough but is soooo worth the wait.  I bet they were delicious!

Yeah they took longer than the recipe said. It was originally from a blog and I think it just flat had errors. I’ll make again to find out. 😂

• 1 month later...