Menu

Have you eaten anything interesting lately?

PeterPan

13 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Thanks!  Could you give me an idea of what you put in yours?  What kinds of beans, proportions roughly how much barley, what herbs/spices?  Doesn't have to be an official 'recipe'.  I'm always altering recipes, and I'm with you that I like my 'soup' really thick. I often add more beans and spices than original recipes call for.  My lentil soup is more like lentil paste if I get it the way I really like it.  I eat these kinds of things as full meals - maybe a piece of bread with it, but not always.  Soup as appetizer isn't a thing for me.  Too lazy to make than one course!

I had to ff through most of the video - I kind of hate videos rather than printed recipes. I know how to wash and cut herbs - that video took like 10 minutes to show that! 😜 I just wanna know what the ingredients are in rough proportions!  If I did use meat, what's the traditional kind?  Is that beef in the video??  I'm fine with vegetarian, but also fine with a bit of meat. I didn't see any garlic, or did I miss it in my ff'ing? (garlic is always good).  Do you always use dry beans like that?  I'll admit to more laziness and usually using canned/drained, except for lentils. One thing I like a lot is that it uses whole bunches of herbs - a pet peeve of mine is stuff that says to use some piddly amount, and then I end up with leftover herbs that go slimy in the fridge if I don't get to them soon enough - so I often just throw the whole bunch in anyway...  I think I agree with you on the bean/barley proportions - as I say, I always add more beans than recipes call for, it seems... do you also use bulghur or rice in addition to the barley (as in video)?

It looks reaaally good, and different enough from my other bean-paste-soup recipes to be added to the repertoire! 

I'm working making some homemade kashk right now. Instead of using 50/50 youghurt and water, I'm using 50/50 youghurt and homemade cultured buttermilk (that I started with Knudsen's buttermilk at the beginninhg of the lock down, and I keep going as a starter to make more. I can't help but futz with recipies and I think the buttermilk will add a lot of flavor vs water. I will report back. It is on the simmer.

I'm also making some ashe-e-jo. By good luck my wife ordered a batch of fresh dill yesterday. I'm in process of putting together my bean mix. So far hand fulls of garbanzo beans, white beans, black beans, limas, and kidney beans in the "long ooking" bowl. Then I have peas and lentils in the "fast cooking" bowl. 

For the long cooking beans I've got a pot simmering with the bones (chicken legs) I pulled out of a stew I made last night before I served it and saved. The fast cooking "beans" will get added later (or will get cooked seperately).

Still hunting for barley, I know I have some stashed somewhere.

Once can't overdo fresh herbs like fill in this recipe. I wish I had more dill. I may use kale (non-traditional, but we are growing it).

Huge peaceful protest is happining right now down the street.

Will check back.

Bill

25 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

That sounds like something Americans should do.  I'm not a huge fan of marinara, but Amira's post makes me think I could serve it with peanut sauce.  Lime and peanut is a great combination.  

While I was young my best friends mother (Dutch Indonesian) would make beef and chicken satés served with lime, peanut butter, and sambal oelek (hot chili paste) sauce.

So good.

Bill

Just now, Seasider too said:

Yes, I can imagine a scampi-like dish with lime pasta - toss in some olive oil and grilled shrimp - that sounds delicious. I think it would also be good with chicken and/or black bean chunks and *some* diced fresh tomatoes. 

But to cover with marinara - are we using that word the same way, a fresh/quick tomato sauce? - is hard for me to mentally taste. I admittedly have little experience with more eastern dishes like the combination of lime and peanut mentioned above, but I can at least imagine that!

One would think that a sause called marinara would be a seafood based sauce, but I think of it as a quick tomato sauce (unless it is specifically called seafood marinara).

Strange.

Bill

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

@Matryoshka I can't vouch for this recipe for homemade kashk (made from cooking down youghurt), but looks pretty easy.

Kashk can spoil, so I'd follow the advice to freeze the leftovers.

BTW one of the very best Persian side dishes (IMO) is Kash-e-Bademjan (Kashk with Eggplant).

Bill

LOL, because apparently today I'm being a Big Pain, I must point out that there is no actual link to any homemade Kashk recipe here?  The only link in your message is to a Mini Cooper forum... 😂  (is that in your siggy?)  

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, because apparently today I'm being a Big Pain, I must point out that there is no actual link to any homemade Kashk recipe here?  The only link in your message is to a Mini Cooper forum... 😂  (is that in your siggy?)  

Sorry. I have not been sleeping since my mother passed, and I'm losing my mind.

Here is the link:

http://bottomofthepot.com/homemade-kashk/

The buttermilk did make the milk curdle, but since curdinging is (I think) part of the process anyway, I'm hoping my "innovation" isn't a disaster. LOL. 

I'll let you know.

Bill

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

But to cover with marinara - are we using that word the same way, a fresh/quick tomato sauce? - is hard for me to mentally taste. I admittedly have little experience with more eastern dishes like the combination of lime and peanut mentioned above, but I can at least imagine that!

By marinara I meant seafood. First time I made it, I basically added the marinara mix to a cream of leek sauce. Second time we cooked the seafood in garlic oil. 

8 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Sorry. I have not been sleeping since my mother passed, and I'm losing my mind.

Here is the link:

http://bottomofthepot.com/homemade-kashk/

The buttermilk did make the milk curdle, but since curdinging is (I think) part of the process anyway, I'm hoping my "innovation" isn't a disaster. LOL. 

I'll let you know.

Bill

Sorry to hear about your mother, Bill. 😟 

I'll await the outcome of your experiment...  are you using regular, rather than Greek yogurt, which has already been strained?  I only have the Greek variety on hand, but I could fix that if the regular is better for this...

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Sorry to hear about your mother, Bill. 😟 

I'll await the outcome of your experiment...  are you using regular, rather than Greek yogurt, which has already been strained?  I only have the Greek variety on hand, but I could fix that if the regular is better for this...

I was going to use either Greek or Lebne (which is more strained/thicker than Greek), both of which we have, but I discovered an older "European Style" (red label) that is sold by Trader Joes (and which I'm aware is sourced from Strauss Family near Bolinas CA).

The Strauss youghurt (they spell it yogurt) is thin, almost pourable. Very tasty. A nice change of pace from blander youghurts. I only used it because it had been pushed to the back of the fridge and was our "oldest" option. The youghurt is supposed to be thinned anyway, so I used this.

Only had 2/3 of a container and added an equal part homemade cultured buttermilk. Ad a little salt. Cooking very slowly.

I appreciate the condolences. I'm in a twilight world at the moment. Very out-of-sorts.

Bill

1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

The ash-e-jo with all the cilantro reminds me of another food that we ate a lot pre-quarantine, but never made, which is aguadito do polla.  We've got a lovely little Peruvian place close by, that does a delicious version, but maybe I need to find a recipe for that.  

Now this is a lot harder to find! 

48 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'm using 50/50 youghurt and homemade cultured buttermilk

I just made "creme fraiche" using cream and buttermilk yesterday. It got very thick sitting on the counter overnight. It's for a muffin recipe I wanted to try https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/pear-ginger-muffins 

14 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

@Rosie I am now very very curious what else is in the "American" cook book.  

I can think of some wonderful foods that are uniquely American, but lime pasta wouldn't be on the list.  

Allegedly Alaskans are big on rhubarb soup and when that's out of season, beer soup. If they don't eat this salmon baked in cedar I wanna know why not, because it sounds delish. Also, hot mustard-dill sauce is the best thing to eat with corned bear, and their tea is made of cranberries, cinnamon, lemon juice, orange juice and a bucket load of sugar, but no tea. 

In the Pacific North West, geoducks are eaten. I don't know what a geoduck is. They eat their celery hot with orange juice, mustard and cheese and their artichokes with honey, but prefer their rhubarb frozen into sorbet. Syllabub has not yet gone out of fashion.

New Englanders are posh enough to eat their scrambled eggs with red caviar, but can't be too posh or they'd eat it with black, right? They also eat sorrel more than anyone else does.

In the Midwest, popcorn is eaten with caraway seeds, cinnamon, ground ginger, and for the macho popcorn eater, white pepper. Ham steaks should be eaten with fiddlehead ferns, and they prefer their rhubarb in egg white omelettes. 

They must also be posh in New York, because they call their hash browns 'potato doilies.' 

Californians are such busy people they serve their salads on top of their pizzas to save time. They also eat a lot of sushi, and put honeydew melon in theirs, which I can only assume is another time saving measure. But when they are not too busy, they like to relax with escargot and brie. They do not know that peppermint crisp is an even better topping for a pav than fruit.

Texans eat their fruit with coffee, so I'd hate to see what they'd do with a pav.

Funnily enough, after almost 15 years here, I've never heard any of you mention these things.

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

I just made "creme fraiche" using cream and buttermilk yesterday. It got very thick sitting on the counter overnight. It's for a muffin recipe I wanted to try https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/pear-ginger-muffins 

I've also been making creme fraiche during the lockdown, as the homemade buttermilk was such a success. I use my buttermilk as the starter.

I think I've made 4 or 5 batches and it gets used up very quickly. Everything is better with creme fraiche.

Bill

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Allegedly Alaskans are big on rhubarb soup and when that's out of season, beer soup. If they don't eat this salmon baked in cedar I wanna know why not, because it sounds delish. Also, hot mustard-dill sauce is the best thing to eat with corned bear, and their tea is made of cranberries, cinnamon, lemon juice, orange juice and a bucket load of sugar, but no tea. 

In the Pacific North West, geoducks are eaten. I don't know what a geoduck is. They eat their celery hot with orange juice, mustard and cheese and their artichokes with honey, but prefer their rhubarb frozen into sorbet. Syllabub has not yet gone out of fashion.

New Englanders are posh enough to eat their scrambled eggs with red caviar, but can't be too posh or they'd eat it with black, right? They also eat sorrel more than anyone else does.

In the Midwest, popcorn is eaten with caraway seeds, cinnamon, ground ginger, and for the macho popcorn eater, white pepper. Ham steaks should be eaten with fiddlehead ferns, and they prefer their rhubarb in egg white omelettes. 

They must also be posh in New York, because they call their hash browns 'potato doilies.' 

Californians are such busy people they serve their salads on top of their pizzas to save time. They also eat a lot of sushi, and put honeydew melon in theirs, which I can only assume is another time saving measure. But when they are not too busy, they like to relax with escargot and brie. They do not know that peppermint crisp is an even better topping for a pav than fruit.

Texans eat their fruit with coffee, so I'd hate to see what they'd do with a pav.

Funnily enough, after almost 15 years here, I've never heard any of you mention these things.

Someone is pulling you leg.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Made this recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blender_beetroot_pasta_96501

Simple and kids ate it. I don't know if it was normal, but was exotic to me ☺️

ETA: Since it is getting hot here, make this regularly too (indian spicy buttermilk)

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/masala-chaas/

Believe it or not, for variety I've been using my homemade buttermilk and blending it with a couple ice cubes, fresh hali (turmeric). black pepper, and India spices.

And I also made beet pasta recently.

We are on the same wave lenght.

Bill

3 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I've also been making creme fraiche during the lockdown, as the homemade buttermilk was such a success. I use my buttermilk as the starter.

I think I've made 4 or 5 batches and it gets used up very quickly. Everything is better with creme fraiche.

Bill

Is there an advantage to leaving it out longer or is 24 hours enough? I wasn't sure how to know when it was done, lol.

9 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

In the Pacific North West

If you want an actual hot tip, when we drove Oregon for a week (up and down the coast, all over), they were HUGE on cinnamon rolls. I've never seen a place so big on cinnamon rolls. Everywhere you went, every restaurant had them. (Well maybe not every restaurant, but every restaurant serving breakfast, lol.)  I think it was to compensate for the sucky weather. Well that and something about hungry lumberjacks. But seriously, you can indulge in a cinnamon roll big as your plate and say you're being cultural. :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Allegedly Alaskans are big on rhubarb soup and when that's out of season, beer soup.

Oh mercy. LOL We only spent two weeks there, but I can say they pretty much like pizza and salmon, not sure in which order. Throw salmon in it and say you're alaskan. Salmon straight, salmon in omelets, salmon quesadillas. Well that and reindeer sausage. Put that on the side. I'm just not sure rhubarb is that abundant, kwim? It's sorta tundra up there, permafrost, lol. Nuts, we use a lot of rhubarb here and I've always managed to escape eating it. 

14 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I don't even know what to say to that, lol. I mean, we don't live on popcorn here, lol. Now KETTLE CORN, that's really big. That would be authentic. You make the popcorn with a dab of sugar. Kettle corn is a big deal in the midwest, yes. Who eats ferns??????? ROFL. So much more typical would be bbq (VERY popular) or casseroles. There's just nothing so authentic midwestern as a casserole. Any casserole. Get recipes off the Kraft site. 

https://www.campbells.com/kitchen/recipes/classic-green-bean-casserole/  This is a number one choice. I'm not sure anyone in the midwest has never eaten green bean casserole. 

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/069212/shepherds-pie 

But you'll see casseroles are a concept and a size of pan. Anything can be a casserole or turned into a casserole. Chicken tetrazini. Nuts, you can turn mexican food into a casserole, lol. Bake it in a casserole dish (9X13) with a sauce to make a homogenous product that feeds a lot of people cheap and it's a casserole.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/corn-casserole-recipe-1943617  Corn casserole. There are are lots of variations of this, including moving over to corn pudding, which you then eat with the BBQ. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Is there an advantage to leaving it out longer or is 24 hours enough? I wasn't sure how to know when it was done, lol.

I can't claim expertise with creme fraiche. I just leave mine out until it seems tangy and thick.

Bill

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

I am all for making my children "eat the rainbow" of vegetables and it does not get more colorful than beet pasta. I kill two birds with one stone, no moaning about lack of variety with only Indian food and beetroot for sauce.😃

I'm also a proponent of "eating the rainbow."

Not sure if that's because of some notion that doing so helps provide a wide range of micro nutrients and phytochemicals, or because it just looks pretty. 

Bill

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My grandmother of the infamous hing lump taught me to eat and cook like that. She was more of the "food as medicine" proponent all her life. She also practiced a lot of ayurveda. She had a potion for everything known as kada. I still use a lot of her methods. Like the golden milk. I think food more than nutrition, is medicine too. Doesn't hurt it looks pretty though mine rarely does. I like to cook with my hands and senses, but the eating part does not start with the eyes because my food is never pretty, I aim more for tasty and smelling good. 

Is the golden milk with turmeric? What else do you put in there?

54 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Salmon on cedar planks is very tasty. 

A geoduck is a kind of very big clam. I have lived here for 40 years and have never eaten one. I think that they are expensive. My daughter did have one spray her with a fountain of water though when she stepped on one at the beach. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Yep, salmon on cedar is literally the only thing on that list of American foods where I thought "yep, that's a highlight of American cooking". 

If I were to think of other American foods that we should be proud of, the first three things that come to my mind might be

Jambalaya

White clam pizza

Navajo fry bread

What else would people put on that list?

Apple pie

Marionberry cobbler is big here in the PNW. 

Chicago deep dish pizza

New England clam chowder 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

Grandmother never had recipes. So do I. We used to drink it everyday.   I make mine with a healthy pinch of turmeric, two or three grinds of pepper and a pinch of jaggery. Mostly I look at taste and color. The color should be a deep yellow, not too sweet. and you should feel the burn of pepper.  Sorry not very helpful with measurements. 

Love golden milk.

For those who can't find jaggery; maple syrup, or brown sugar, or whte sugar plus molasses could be subsitttes (in decreasing order of preference).

As you say, it should only be slightly sweet.

Bill

6 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Grandmother never had recipes. So do I. We used to drink it everyday.   I make mine with a healthy pinch of turmeric, two or three grinds of pepper and a pinch of jaggery. Mostly I look at taste and color. The color should be a deep yellow, not too sweet. and you should feel the burn of pepper.  Sorry not very helpful with measurements. 

Sooo, an actual pinch between your fingers (seems,scant!), or like a teaspoon?

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Made this recently

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/blender_beetroot_pasta_96501

Simple and kids ate it. I don't know if it was normal, but was exotic to me ☺️

ETA: Since it is getting hot here, make this regularly too (indian spicy buttermilk)

https://www.cookwithmanali.com/masala-chaas/

Omg, I missed this before!  Sounds wonderful! Another reason to go buy some runnier yogurt!  I think I need to go visit an Indian grocery with a list. Chana masala and black salt will have to be on it...

31 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My grandmother of the infamous hing lump taught me to eat and cook like that. She was more of the "food as medicine" proponent all her life. She also practiced a lot of ayurveda. She had a potion for everything known as kada. I still use a lot of her methods. Like the golden milk. I think food more than nutrition, is medicine too. Doesn't hurt it looks pretty though mine rarely does. I like to cook with my hands and senses, but the eating part does not start with the eyes because my food is never pretty, I aim more for tasty and smelling good. 

I don't mind serving some dishes at are "rustic ugly." But, overall, pleasing the eye is definately among the goals I have in my cooking.

And I'd be willing to bet that you're being modest.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

@Matryoshka Just peak at the homemade Kashk. Cooking very slowly. It is finally is changing its nature, going from pure white to a pleasant golden tan color. Still quite liquid. 

Taste profile is pretty sour. Not balanced yet. No real umami flavor yet.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I am on a shaksuka kick lately. Frittatas are hitting the menu a lot too to use up tidbits in my fridge. (Eggs are easy to find right now at the store.) My shaksuka for brunch today included chorizo and was topped with cotija and cilantro. Heavenly. I don’t normally eat pork, but this was a good exception.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

😂😂😂 Yeah, someone's putting you on, that is definitely fake news!

No one in New England is eating caviar, of either color.  Clam chowder, lobster rolls, clam strips (deep fried) - those are New England foods (the first is the only one I eat regularly).  New England clam chowder is always with cream; there's a "Manhattan" variant with tomatoes that we here consider an abomination.  😂

That popcorn recipe sounds very interesting, but I can't imagine in a million years it being anything people in the midwest are eating.  

As someone with an overabundance of rhubarb and running out of ideas of what to do with it, I must ask what the heck these apocryphal Alaskans are putting in their alleged rhubarb soup... (also never heard of such a thing!)

What is a pav??

That is the weirdest bunch of recipes I've seen in a while.  I also didn't know what a geoduck might be, so glad someone else explained.  Our weird clam thing here is a quahog (pronouced KOH- hog).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

For how much ?? One cup ??? Mine is one cup of warm milk, a pinch of turmeric (less than a quarter teaspoon, but mine is a not from the haldi lump like yours, more the powder ), few grinds of pepper and a pinch of jaggery. Jaggery is very sweet. I adjust based on taste.

Lets just say I'm rather more bold with my Turmeric. I go about 1/4 tablespoon. As I posted a tsp. I was thinking that's not enough. LOL.

Now that I'm grinding fresh haldi I'm getting an even bigger dose. 

Count me as a fanatic. LOL.

Bill

On 6/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, marbel said:

Well this isn't really new or novel but it's a summertime thing for me, so I was excited to make some for the first time in month: feta cheese, crumbled and mixed with diced tomatoes, green onions, olive oil, and Italian seasoning. 

Here is the actual recipe, though this is one of the few things I don't measure at all, just put everything together to taste. The recipe also calls for a specific Greek seasoning which I don't have so I just use an Italian seasoning blend. 

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/wprm_print/17396

So I was *this* close to ordering that seasoning from Amazon, but it has MSG 😞

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Biscuits and Gravy

Mac and Cheese

Cornbread

Funnily enough, these do not feature in this book at all. Jambalaya does, apple pie does not. There is a recipe for marigold pie though.

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

As someone with an overabundance of rhubarb and running out of ideas of what to do with it, I must ask what the heck these apocryphal Alaskans are putting in their alleged rhubarb soup... (also never heard of such a thing!)

What is a pav??

I did pick out the weird stuff, except for the pavlova, which is definitely not weird at all because Australians eat it. 😛

Ha! This book is copyrighted to 1981 and originally cost AU$49.95! I probably picked it up for $2 at an op shop, just for kicks, which I have certainly got.

Imaginary Alaskan Rhubarb Soup:
2 lb rhubarb, diced
8 Cups water
1 stick cinnamon
2 slices lemon (that is a real measurement? is there a standard thickness for slices of lemon?)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 TBSP orange juice
whipped cream for serving
*. Place rhubarb in a heavy pan with the water, cinnamon, lemon and sugar. Brin to a boil and simmer for 10 mins until the rhubarb is very soft. Press the fruit through a sieve and return the liquid to the pan. Dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and stir it into the soup. Heat gently for 15 mins, stirring until it thickens and boils. Ladle into bowls and top with islands of whipped cream.

6 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Does the book have pavlova in it?  Does it try and pass pavlova off as a traditional American dish we eat after our corned bear and syllabub?  

We're American, and we've have pavlova several times, but in my mind we are eating something from another culture, no different than if I made Spy Car's kaskh.  The fact that we're both (I believe) American doesn't suddenly make kaskh an American food. 

*shrug* It was in the Californian section. I'm not even going to try and guess how they chose what recipes they were going to feature in this book. 🤣

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So what are Australian foods?  Outback Steakhouse would have you believe steak and bloomin’ onions. 
Oh and I guess I think of Marmite. Or is it Vegemite?  I get them mixed up. 
In Japan we got the best white Australian cheese that I have never seen anywhere else. 

Lol, Australian food is mainly Thai fusion. Your Outback Steakhouse is not exactly what I'd call traditional Australian fare, but they're right about the steak. Manly men eat steak and everyone else who isn't veg*n likes it too. However, according to jingoistic Australia Day adverts, lamb is more "Australian" than beef, but cattle farmers are just as Australian as sheep farmers. 

The Brits eat Marmite. Aussies eat Vegemite. 

I'm gonna venture a guess that your best, white, Australian cheese isn't to be found here in Australia either.

We have a fledgling bush food industry, but sell most of it to South Korea.

Traditional Australian fare is derived from Britain, so that's going to be the same as the British derived food of the US, but with less sugar. The Italians certainly made their mark as well. 

Kebabs are probably Australian now too. 

1 minute ago, Dreamergal said:

I am reasonably sure they belong to the Southern part of the US, I am not certain though.

Do you have a recipe for pavlova ?? I have heard a lot about it, it seems complicated to make. Is it ?

I do not have a recipe for pavlova. Ovens aren't made to run on low enough temperatures any more so I haven't made one for about 20 years. Mostly people would buy ready made from the supermarket, or buy one of these

Funnily enough, these do not feature in this book at all. Jambalaya does, apple pie does not.

Ok, now this is heresey. I mean, that's why we say AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE...

There is a recipe for marigold pie though.

LOL That author is crazy!!! Now we do edible pansies, yes. But that would be for a party, a swank restaurant, Disney, something exotic. Nobody goes out and harvests their marigolds to eat, do they??? But DANDELIONS, yes people eat dandelions. Not the flowers, just the greens. You can make burgers, I don't know what all. That's pretty old school, Depression era stuff. My aunt (70-80 yo) eats them. I would in a pinch I suppose. I think you have to put vinegar on them to make them tolerable or something.

Ha! This book is copyrighted to 1981 and originally cost AU$49.95! I probably picked it up for $2 at an op shop, just for kicks, which I have certainly got.

Imaginary Alaskan Rhubarb Soup:
2 lb rhubarb, diced
8 Cups water
1 stick cinnamon
2 slices lemon (that is a real measurement? is there a standard thickness for slices of lemon?)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 TBSP orange juice
whipped cream for serving
*. Place rhubarb in a heavy pan with the water, cinnamon, lemon and sugar. Brin to a boil and simmer for 10 mins until the rhubarb is very soft. Press the fruit through a sieve and return the liquid to the pan. Dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and stir it into the soup. Heat gently for 15 mins, stirring until it thickens and boils. Ladle into bowls and top with islands of whipped cream.

Oh, why didn't you say!! I would actually make that, lol. Seriously. Now I've never had it, because nobody I know does that. Disney does a strawberry soup, which guests like. I *think* it's something like yogurt with strawberries, I don't know. But this actually sounds fun, even if it's totally weird. But this actually has potential. Or it's late at night. But kind of a tart and tangy mouse/layers thing, that sounds fun. It could work. You make it and call it Australian Rhubarb Soup and then we'll make it and say we're eating Australian. 

• Confused 1

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spiced-rhubarb-soup/  Here they made it almost like cranberry sauce, thick and spicy.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chilled-rhubarb-soup/  Here it's like a smoothie with strawberries.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rhubarb-soup/  And here they added booze.

But frankly, since all those between them have barely 5 reviews, I'm saying nobody likes it, lol. But, you know, if you have it growing and want to try and don't want to make the normal strawberry rhubarb pie, then yeah go for it. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/12682/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/  This is a killer apple pie btw. I make a triple batch of it in a HUGE pan and it gets devoured. Sometimes I get lazy and only put a crust on top. 

5 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I can't wrap my mind around dessert soup.  I am entirely unsure why.  I love soup.  I love dessert.  I love milkshakes which are pretty darn close to both soup and dessert.  But somehow the idea of putting a cup and a half of sugar in my soup and topping it with whipped cream is hard for me.  

Disney does it and it's a thing of legend https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2013/05/23/disney-recipe-strawberry-soup-from-disney-worlds-1900-park-fare/

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So what are Australian foods?  Outback Steakhouse would have you believe steak and bloomin’ onions. 

Oh and I guess I think of Marmite. Or is it Vegemite?  I get them mixed up. 

In Japan we got the best white Australian cheese that I have never seen anywhere else. 

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I thought you were from Newcastle?  Isn't the one that isn't Australian the one people eat in England?  

Have I been jumping to conclusions about you this whole time?

Bill

• Haha 3

Well this Aussie has been eating a fab keto chicken curry recipe I recently found. In Love. 

I read a Reddit thread once where US folks seemed to not understand our meat pies. They rank pretty high in the Aussie food charts...

We're just as likely to eat something Serbian or Vietnamese or Moroccan or Indian lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LMD said:

I read a Reddit thread once where US folks seemed to not understand our meat pies. They rank pretty high in the Aussie food charts...

In Michigan they have beef pasty, which looks sorta similar maybe? But I agree, they're not a widely eaten thing. They were lunch food for miners. Do you make yours bigger or hand size? If they're bigger, that would be like a pot pie, but usually those are chicken, not beef. Sort of old school comfort food.

8 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

My favorite apple pie recipe is with sour cream. 

Hold it, where do you put the sour cream??? LOL

Ok, I'm googling this. You eat it warm or you literally wait till it cools?

Edited by PeterPan

35 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

In Michigan they have beef pasty, which looks sorta similar maybe? But I agree, they're not a widely eaten thing. They were lunch food for miners. Do you make yours bigger or hand size? If they're bigger, that would be like a pot pie, but usually those are chicken, not beef. Sort of old school comfort food.

Pies and pasties are different. Pasties are always hand size. Pies can be family sized, just like you can make individual sized apple pies or family sized.

Go into a bakery anywhere and you'll find plain pies (beef mince in a gravy,) steak and onion (mince and onion in a gravy,) steak and mushroom (mince and mushroom in a gravy) at an absolute minimum. 

9 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Bill

And then there's Promite....  😃

ETA

Well would you look at that. There are more "mites" than I knew existed. There are probably more. What I am really curious about is the note about adding it to soup or casserole for extra flavor. What would that look like, anyone know? What kind of soup or other cooked dish would taste good or better with the addition of a yeast spread?

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme

33 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

And then there's Promite....  😃

ETA

Well would you look at that. There are more "mites" than I knew existed. There are probably more. What I am really curious about is the note about adding it to soup or casserole for extra flavor. What would that look like, anyone know? What kind of soup or other cooked dish would taste good or better with the addition of a yeast spread?

Firstly, Promite is gross. 🤢

Secondly, yeah, I add Vegemite to soups sometimes when I need a bit of umami.