Menu

What do you wear for PJs/Lounge clothes with teens and their friends on the house?

Ottakee

Hopefully this won't be as controversial as some other threads.

I am a plus sized, late 40s mom.  My 2 kids at home are young adults.  Often they have friends over night.

What do you wear around the house?   I am a very pro Bra off person but that just doesn't seem quite right when there are other young adults in the house.  It is hot here so a sweatshirt isn't going to cut it.

What about PJs?  I don't have an attached bath so do have to walk next door to the bathroom. 

I am not spending hours running around the house in little PJs with no bra but yet I don't want to stay in my fully dressed, bra on clothes until the moment I crawl into bed either.

How do you handle it? 

Tshirt or other soft shirt plus knit pants - like these https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56777?page=women-s-perfect-fit-pants-straight-leg

And house shoes (simply because my feet get cold otherwise). 

But when I head to bed, I close the bedroom door. I'm not coming out till morning unless someone is sick. In the morning, I'll emerge after my shower wearing pretty much the same thing as the day before. 

• Like 1

I wear yoga pants and a t shirt. I don’t have the qualms others do about going braless though. I often do so when out because I hate them. I truly don’t get the big deal.  If I did, I would throw on a hoodie of some sort I guess. 

Like others I wear some sort of pajama/lounge pants and t-shirt or sweat shirt, as does my husband. I keep the bra on, but I am physically uncomfortable without anyway. I can be comfortable but still presentable when overnight guests are here.

• Like 1

I bought myself a very comfy pullover bra that I often wear in the evenings.  It provides just enough support to keep everything under control and answers my need for minimum support and maximum comfort.

Anne

• Like 2

I generally only get into pjs close to bedtime.  When we’re camping etc and I need to do a nighttime loo trip I just chuck a hoodie or jacket over the top.  I do also have a soft no underwire very comfy bra for days when I’m headachey and don’t want to wear a bra because it makes it worse.  Maybe something like that could work.

Comfy yoga pants or PJ pants.  Comfortable pull on bra or tank top with a shelf bra, light weight open cardigan over if in a tank top.  If it’s too hot for the cardigan or wrap, I wear a t-shirt with short sleeves.  Right now, I am wearing blue yoga pants and a Sleater Kinney t-shirt.  Most of my t-shirts are band shirts.  

I am tall, plus sized and 40.  

Sweat pants or pajama pants, t-shirt, hoodie if I'm cold, comfortable bra.

I prefer men's pajama pants. They have pockets, they're long enough for me, they come in more substantial fabrics, they have drawstrings, they're not low-waisted. I like the ones made by Fruit of the Loom. They come in woven cotton and jersey knit and I think flannel and mesh fabric as well. 

• Like 1

I would pull on jeans (or cooler pants if weather is hot for jeans) and T-shirt to go into common areas.  Not necessarily a bra, especially not if needing to use bathroom after my bedtime. 

T shirt or sweatshirt and comfortable pants if wanting to wear comfortable lounging clothes. Again I would not particularly worry about bra. 

yoga tank with built in bra

I have shirts that are "mock wrap" so the front is doubled.  (darker colors hide more of what's underneath.  or bold prints).

heavy dark colored t-shirt.

I'm like miss stacy.  I've hardly worn a corset in two months.

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Hopefully this won't be as controversial as some other threads.

I am a plus sized, late 40s mom.  My 2 kids at home are young adults.  Often they have friends over night.

What do you wear around the house?   I am a very pro Bra off person but that just doesn't seem quite right when there are other young adults in the house.  It is hot here so a sweatshirt isn't going to cut it.

What about PJs?  I don't have an attached bath so do have to walk next door to the bathroom. 

I am not spending hours running around the house in little PJs with no bra but yet I don't want to stay in my fully dressed, bra on clothes until the moment I crawl into bed either.

How do you handle it? 

When guests are here I stay in full clothes until I'm about to crawl into bed. Normally I get into PJs earlier.

• Like 1

I am also a plus-size, middle-age mama.

When there are guests about, I go with some form of yoga pants or athletic leggings with an oversized tee shirt. As long as the shirt is not tight in any way (in other words, as long as it drapes like a veritable tent), I don't worry much about undergarments. It's all covered and nothing is outlined or defined. I like to think I look all cool and athletic in my athleisure. Somehow I doubt my kids see it that way. 😆 That said, there are times I have been known to keep my bra on until the instant I go to bed and force myself to put it on again in the morning if I am going to putter around making pancakes or something. Those times are more for guests I do not know as well.

I have light-weight black fleece pants that I wear year round, unless it is really, really hot then I have a pair of PJ Pants. The black makes them look less pajama-like. 

In summer, I wear a t-shirt to sleep in, but keep a loose, light-weight sweatshirt to toss on, if I am going into the living areas without a bra on. If it is my family (or even my son-in-law) I don't worry about putting on a bra.  If my kids have friends over, I will put one on. I have even put on a strapless bra, to come down stairs, so I don't have to take my shirt off.  LOL 

Would a robe be too casual for you? If I am running around the house when we have overnight company, I will use a robe, but I don't like them. 

Edited by Tap

I hate wearing a bra. In summer, I wear a sundress. I have one that is lined, and kind of gathered into a princess/baby doll front, that conceals the fact that I am not wearing a bra. In colder weather, I wear a loose fitting sweatshirt, sometimes with a t-shirt or tank underneath, and  no bra. If we have no guests, I go braless no matter what I'm wearing, but if someone comes to the door, I'll throw a bra on before I answer.

T-shirt and loose athletic pants.  Shorts are OK if it's hot.  Luckily for me, I don't really need a bra, haha.  (I do choose t-shirts with busy designs on the front, so no body contours are apparent iykwim.)  If I did need a bra, I'd wear one that is easy to take off without stripping.  I'd just take the bra off when going to my room for the night.

Yoga pants or shorts (depending on season) and a loose t-shirt. In the fall/winter if I get cool I pull on a lightweight sweatshirt type jacket that I keep solely for house use. I wear these stretchy, comfy bras, even to sleep in. I learned back when I had fibrocystic breasts that wearing some sort of bra 24/7 meant much less pain. They're so comfy I don't even know I have one on.

I wear a version on these at all times in the house:

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-beautifully-soft-crop-pajama-pants-stars-above-153/-/A-54223258?preselect=54177344#lnk=sametab

I wish I could find these same ones in a little higher quality fabric, but so far, I just get the Target version.  

And I pair it with a T-shirt.  I hate wearing a bra around the house, but if my teen has teen boys over, I try to either wear a bra or a little hoodie over my T-shirt.

Well I wear a compression vest 100% of the time, so that is one difference. I am not without a bra ever. But I wear yoga pants/leggings or, if it’s hot, a pair of cotton shorts, with a tee shirt. When it’s cold I wear a sweatshirt. 

Edited by Quill
Added “yoga pants” for clarity

Well, my opinion isn't worth much yet, as all our kids are still under 10. But...I often am braless around the house. And I even go in public braless sometimes. I am not small-chested, either (easily a D cup). 

The reality is that the vast majority of people have bre@sts and nipples. So if people look at me and are so (insert your own adj. here, it's too early for my brain) as to think "OMG, she's not wearing a bra! She has bre@sts! And nipples!" that's on them, not me. I'm not running around naked, just braless.

Also, it helps that at one point years ago, I was strictly forbidden from wearing a bra by medical professionals for a significant amount of time (due a rash that was. not. clearing up, especially around the bra band line). The thought process was that the rubbing of the bra against some of the skin was slowing healing. So that forced me to learn to be comfortable with being braless in public then. I even stood up in a wedding, in formal dress, during that time. Frankly, all of that was way easier than dealing with the Bell's Palsy I had during my first pregnancy.

Long story short, at home I am probably braless (maybe in a pullover bra, but rare), T-shirt of decent thickness, and comfy pants/shorts. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas.  Looks like I need to go shopping for what we call a "house bra"....one of those soft, pullover bras that provide a bit of coverage and support but aren't a "real bra".

I could use a few more nice longer comfy t shirts but I have some yoga pants, etc.

• Like 1

Always bra. My mom didn't and I remember being embarrassed by it. I have a house coat sort of robe that zips down the front and if I'm between things (morning especially, in pjs) I throw that on. Otherwise, dressed with a bra. I like your soft bra idea. 

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3878452/womens-croft-barrow-double-knit-zipper-robe.jsp?skuid=58633024&ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=ROBES&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=58633024&CID=shopping15&utm_campaignid=9733267375&pid=googleadwords_int&af_channel=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAjw2uf2BRBpEiwA31VZjzegwXazng4tCTXTBhrUbwYgyMhgj5_-YskE1AKe0yWhetAExbhT_BoC8pIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  They come at all pricepoints, but this is the idea on the zip front robe.

Edited by PeterPan

Same thing I wear the rest of the time - pj pants (usually mens because women's are always too short) and a tshirt.   A hoodie if it's cold.  No bra.   

But, I also almost never wear a bra even going out these days.  I will if I'm wearing a tanktop but that's about it.   I'm 50 and obese but still have no boobs, so a bra isn't completely necessary.  I walk with my oldest dd every day and she is one that prefers I wear a bra but even she can't tell that I'm not.   Most of my tshirts are fairly thick, patterned and large, which makes it even harder to tell.  

If I were built differently and felt the need for some extra coverage or support, I'd go with either a slightly larger sized sports bra or a camisole or tank with a shelf bra, under a tshirt. 

The bra/no bra thing is going to be a matter of personal comfort - physical and emotional. (Emotional seems a little big for the topic but I can't think of another word!) I look very different, my clothes fit differently, I feel uncomfortable both physically and aesthetically when I am not wearing a bra. If I am home alone (when will that ever happen again? lol) I will put one on after my morning shower.  So certainly I am not going to hang around with non-family members without a bra if I don't even hang out by myself without one!

I doubt any of my young adults kids' friends would be looking at me that closely that they would take note either way.  I am pretty sure if my daughter had a friend over and I came into the room braless, she would hustle me out of the room and hiss at me to go put one on!  😁