Menu

Please delete

I recommend finding a text- (not video-) based Algebra 1 program that you would feel comfortable teaching and teach them yourself.  Jacobs and Lial are both excellent, though very different.  

Programs like TT that just feed the solution to the student when they get it wrong aren't helpful.  The student needs a human in the room who can provide guidance and then additional practice problems when they get things wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EKS said:

I recommend finding a text- (not video-) based Algebra 1 program that you would feel comfortable teaching and teach them yourself.  Jacobs and Lial are both excellent, though very different.  

Programs like TT that just feed the solution to the student when they get it wrong aren't helpful.  The student needs a human in the room who can provide guidance and then additional practice problems when they get things wrong.

Edited by Mom28kds

4 minutes ago, Mom28kds said:

The problem is I have trouble with Math so teaching them myself won't work. When they don't understand something I try to figure it out but if I can't we call their sister. I'm not opposed to a book if it teaches well. Do you have experience with those options? I was wondering about Jacob's through Masterbooks. It is costly though.

The problem is that you are asking them to something that you aren't willing to do yourself.  If you think it is too difficult to learn from a text (or video lecture) on your own, just imagine how a teen feels. 

Books don't teach--humans do.  If you are not going to teach them yourself, you need to find someone who will--either online or in person.  Next best is someone like Derek Owens who will answer questions.

• Like 1

Math-U-See does a good job at teaching basic concepts and it’s mastery.  There is a short video to watch once a week that explains the concept for the unit, which my dd and I watch together, and an instructor’s manual with added teaching and a fully-worked answer key if we get stuck.  If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them.  Another option, which I haven’t used but have heard good things about, is Videotext Algebra.

Edited by hopeallgoeswell

If you are able to outsource, this is definitely a subject that would be good to outsource. We used myhomeschoolmathclass this year with good success. It’s $50 a month. I especially liked the text (Lial) because it gave very good, clear examples for the problems. I really like algebra, but I think most people could look at the examples and be able to help the student with them. However, I do not think this is something that a student could teach himself. At least mine definitely wouldn’t have been able to. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, EKS said:

Books don't teach--humans do.   

I would disagree that books can't teach, or, rather, that students can't teach themselves from books. I have seen a lot of students successfully self-teach a variety of high school subjects. The word autodidactic exists for a reason, after all! I think struggling through content and learning to teach yourself lead to some great skills. 

OP, if you are interested in TT, you might consider a new thread titled, "Anyone successfully use TT for high school math?" or similar. I know there are posters who have used TT or MUS for math, Apologia for science, and other often scorned programs with success. Yes, including students who go on to STEM majors. It is very individual.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, katilac said:

I would disagree that books can't teach, or, rather, that students can't teach themselves from books. I have seen a lot of students successfully self-teach a variety of high school subjects. The word autodidactic exists for a reason, after all! I think struggling through content and learning to teach yourself lead to some great skills. 

I agree that it is possible to teach yourself from a book.  But when you are teaching yourself--you, a human, are doing the teaching, and the book is merely serving as a resource.  It takes a certain amount of maturity which many teens simply don't have, especially when they run into difficulty.   

1 minute ago, EKS said:

I agree that it is possible to teach yourself from a book.  But when you are teaching yourself--you, a human, are doing the teaching, and the book is merely serving as a resource.  It takes a certain amount of maturity which many teens simply don't have, especially when they run into difficulty.   

I definitely agree that many teens don't have the maturity (or perseverance) for it, but I did think it important to point out that it's possible. 

I didn't see the OP but my family is using Teaching Textbooks. It's been a very good program for my 14 year old in particular--he has anxiety issues that make working with me or another teacher very difficult (he shuts down) but he navigates computer instruction just fine and it has relieved his anxiety enough that he will now actually ask me for help if he isn't understanding something. That sounds small but it is a huge step up for him.

I find the instruction adequate for my fairly math intuitive kid. My oldest is also doing TT and seems to be understanding well enough.

• Like 1

I didn't see the OP either but the Video Text suggestion is a good one. I watched the videos with my kids and I remember thinking that I wished I'd been taught math this way and maybe I wouldn't hate it now 🙂 I re-learned algebra right along with them.