Menu

What was your best quarantine purchase (s)?

mommyoffive

Codenames (a game) and Exploding Kittens (another game).  We were avowedly NOT a game family before this, but since the children can't be social (you know how homeschoolers are; not social!) we've been devoting several hours a weekend to games.

We got some more games and puzzles from a former homeschooling family and now we are starting a lending library for the community.

Edited by YaelAldrich
  • Like 6

A canoe...not sure where it will be stored this winter, but that is a problem for another day.  My husband and oldest son have been out twice this month with a couple of other father/son duos.  First week was a 36 mile trip and the second week was a measly 30 miles.  Now I need to replace the phone that got wet.  The dry bag from Amazon was not on the list of best purchases.

• Like 2

Stitch Fix--I got two jackets that look great on Zoom, one of which I even reordered in a second color, and they are WASHABLE and don't need to be ironed!  Plus several sleeveless tops that work as professional or casual depending on jacket/vest/shorts/dress pants/jeans--super versatile.  I'm not going to have an ongoing subscription, but this was exactly the update I needed and far less expensive than where I usually shop.

A Dutch oven to make sourdough bread in.  Yum!

Yarn that makes up beautifully into stroller/carseat blankets.  Crib blankets are a big fat no no anymore, which was totally cramping my fiber style, but these are considered safe, and since they are much smaller than crib blankets they knit up faster, too.

• Like 3

Clearance plants to brighten my yard. They were all 75% off or more. I am way happier when I buy cheap plants and care less about the perfect combinations. I buy more plants, and do mass plantings, which tend to be prettier anyways. 

• Like 4

DS19 bought an Oculus Quest, which has been a huge hit for him, what with being displaced from college, back  home, etc. 

DH and the boys bought the lumber for, and built, a picnic table for the back yard; we've eaten dinner outside roughly once/week since. That has been good for all of us. 

Flour, to try our hand at making various things from scratch. 

Plants. Lots of tomato plants. Cucumber plants. Basil, Catgrass, green beans. Fencing for around the plants to keep out the bunnies and bird netting on top. So far, so good. In fact, the 10 year old said yesterday, "Wow, it looks like we know what we're doing!!!!" LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

https://greenstalkgarden.com.  Basically this and stuff to grow that I can eat.  I moved to a high desert area where the main landscaping item is rocks.  I thought my gardening days were over.  Now, five years later, I have come to realize how much growing my own food gives me a ton of joy.  I have a small raised bed with three tomatoes now, a large pot with cucumber plants, and the tower structure for herbs and strawberries.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Where did you find one?  They are sold out everywhere I have looked.    Our local stores say we can't buy one and have it shipped...it is first come first served as they are unloaded off the trucks.  I really want one and just hope that over the next few months we will be able to finally find one.

I had quite the ordeal getting one.

The first one I ordered was around the third week in March from Lowe's. I forget when the estimated delivery date was, but it was a few weeks out from that. They notified me the day before it was supposed to be delivered that it was unavailable and on back order with earliest estimated delivery in November. So I cancelled that.

Then I found one (supposedly) available on Home Depot's site. I put it in my cart and paid for it. The charge went on my CC. A few days later the charge got credited back to my CC. I never received any order cancellation notice from HD.

In between the Lowe's fiasco and ordering one from HD I'd also placed an order for one through Sears, but the estimated delivery date for that one was July 3, so I kept clicking around trying to find one sooner.

The pooch woke me up early one morning (4:00 a.m.) and I started clicking around and found one on Best Buy's website that they claimed could be delivered in a couple of days. So I bought it, fully expecting to NOT get it. But it went like clockwork. The delivery guys were great. And it was the exact same freezer as I'd first tried to order from Lowe's. So it worked out fine.

Then I had to cancel the one I had on order with Sears, and I had to go around and around with that. They kept offering me money to not cancel the order. Not a lot--first it was $25 and then $35 and then I got aggravated and very firmly told them to cancel it, period. I guess I should have kept playing along to see how high they would have gone.

Anyway -- Best Buy for the win!

• Like 1

One of ours is a TV antenna, so now we can actually watch real TV on our television!  (I do have a tiny television in the kitchen where I can access channels and catch up on the news every day when I'm making dinner, but our family TV was just set up for watching movies.)  

The other is a subscription to a local bakery that bakes really great bread that we get fresh every Saturday. 

Edited by J-rap

12 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Where did you find one?  They are sold out everywhere I have looked.    Our local stores say we can't buy one and have it shipped...it is first come first served as they are unloaded off the trucks.  I really want one and just hope that over the next few months we will be able to finally find one.

Sears! We ordered  our freezer last month and it hasn't come yet. but at least I was able to place an order. Ours is supposed to come in about two weeks now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

Sears! We ordered  our freezer last month and it hasn't come yet. but at least I was able to place an order. Ours is supposed to come in about two weeks now.

I hope you get it, but . . see my post above. And if you read some reviews people are saying that the delivery dates Sears is giving online are WAY more optimistic than what people are being told at Sears outlets. Based on my experience I'd advise assuming you're not going to get it. And hopefully that will be wrong and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

ETA: One reason I'm very doubtful of Sears is that when I placed my order quite a few weeks ago they seemed to be giving the same estimated delivery date for every single freezer, regardless of manufacturer. And that seemed unlikely.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

I hope you get it, but . . see my post above. And if you read some reviews people are saying that the delivery dates Sears is giving online are WAY more optimistic than what people are being told at Sears outlets. Based on my experience I'd advise assuming you're not going to get it. And hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you!

I mean, I hope it comes of course, but it's not something I strictly need.

• Like 1

Just now, RosemaryAndThyme said:

Thank you!

I mean, I hope it comes of course, but it's not something I strictly need.

That was my attitude, too. I'd been meaning to buy one for a year or two. I couldn't say I really needed one, I wanted it for convenience. It was one of those things I'd think about occasionally but never got around to actually doing. The pandemic was the trigger that actually spurred me to do it.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pawz4me said:

That was my attitude, too. I'd been meaning to buy one for a year or two. I couldn't say I really needed one, I wanted it for convenience. It was one of those things I'd think about occasionally but never got around to actually doing. The pandemic was the trigger that actually spurred me to do it.

Good luck!

Same here!

I've actually gone back and forth thinking I should cancel because we've done fine as a family without a freezer. My husband made a very good point that we are more likely than not to lose power and that it is better to have shelf stable food on hand. I just want both. lol. It's only a small freezer anyway. I think I'll be happy to have one if it does come, but I'll also be fine if it doesn't.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, scbusf said:

Plants. Lots of tomato plants. Cucumber plants. Basil, Catgrass, green beans. Fencing for around the plants to keep out the bunnies and bird netting on top. So far, so good. In fact, the 10 year old said yesterday, "Wow, it looks like we know what we're doing!!!!" LOL

I have bought these things too, including the fence, which dh actually installed.  Toooo many bunnies!  Actually, I don't have bird netting on top, but plan to put it on the berry bushes for the first time this year, so we get to eat some too...  Happy gardening! 

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Good luck!

How does anyone live without a freezer?  LOL.  We actually ordered a second small chest freezer when dd moved back home.  She is such a picky eater, she pretty much lives on frozen stuff.  My freezer was full.  And we actually managed to order one during the Pandemic!  Miraculously, it came in just a week or two, from Walmart.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 8:38 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

Stitch Fix--I got two jackets that look great on Zoom, one of which I even reordered in a second color, and they are WASHABLE and don't need to be ironed!  Plus several sleeveless tops that work as professional or casual depending on jacket/vest/shorts/dress pants/jeans--super versatile.  I'm not going to have an ongoing subscription, but this was exactly the update I needed and far less expensive than where I usually shop.

A Dutch oven to make sourdough bread in.  Yum!

Yarn that makes up beautifully into stroller/carseat blankets.  Crib blankets are a big fat no no anymore, which was totally cramping my fiber style, but these are considered safe, and since they are much smaller than crib blankets they knit up faster, too.

yes. I started making my baby blankets smaller a few years ago.  I didn't think to call them Stroller blankets!  Good idea. 

For me it has been plants and lumber.  We built a privacy screen for the driveway because the garage had been turned in the MB suite years ago.  I look out my window now and see flowers and privacy  instead of our parked cars and trashcans 🙂  

24 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I just ordered a rowing machine!  I'd been on the waitlist since mid-April; they're only allowing you to place the order when they've got product coming off the line..  got my permission to order yesterday!

Tell me how it goes.  I'm intrigued by the ability to unclip and stack the machines these days, so that they can be put aside and not permanently take up floor space.

22 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Tell me how it goes.  I'm intrigued by the ability to unclip and stack the machines these days, so that they can be put aside and not permanently take up floor space.

I'm very used to taking these apart and stacking them up, as the boathouse has almost no indoor space other than the boat bay, and we have to set them up outside on the deck to use them.  Then put them back in the corner a storage room, where the whole lot of them really don't take up too much space (they store vertically, in two pieces).  The lower part, with the fan, has wheels to help move it.

My plan is to put this thing in a hallway that we never use.  Technically it's narrower than the space recommended, but the machine itself is very narrow - it's my elbows that are really what need the space, and I seem to have enough room.   Good thing I have short arms! If I put it there, it should be able to just stay up, which is nice.  This same space is currently being used as a storage area, so time to do some decluttering!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1