Menu

Gardasil 9, pre or post puberty? (young niece)

Arcadia

14 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Oh, no, I'm just really... it's a rough time for everybody, and I think all my nerves are frayed. I'm not always so polite in the best of times and I think now I'm being a little more me than usual.

Yes, there have been a lot of hard days lately. I've been feeling very weary of it all, too.  I hope this day allowed your nerves to heal a little. ❤️ 

• Like 1

I'm really conservative when it comes to my opinions about my children and their potential sexual experiences; I hope they wait until marriage. But all of my teens, boys and girls, have had the shots. Because if I have a chance to protect them against cancer, why wouldn't I? I am not able to determine whether they will be exposed, as much as I would like to think that I have that ability.

As far as getting their consent -- their consent did not come into play with any other vaccine that I have had them get. It's been my decision as their parent. For this vaccine, it was no different. I did explain that it was to protect against certain types of cancer. No big deal with regard to the conversation, which did not involve discussing anything about their personal sexual choices. Which may be irrelevant anyway, because it's possible that their partner's choices will be the dangerous ones, not theirs, even if they have only one sexual partner ever.

It's not about sex, in any way, in my opinion. It's about protecting them from cancer, when I have the option to do that.

My kids have never had reactions to vaccines, so I would not avoid vaccines on that basis, personally. Other families may have more things to sort through in that regard.

• Like 5

I knew someone who had cervical cancer and was told she wouldn’t be able to have children after the treatment.

I would definitely want to prevent that!

My kids had it at earliest ages.  I think this changed from 11 to 9 in between my older and younger kids.

We also know our insurance will not be as good as my husband’s job changes, so that was another reason to go ahead and not put it off.  

Iirc I asked about the younger age since it was a change, and they said it was effective.  

Edited by Lecka

My two oldest just got it yesterday at ages 14 and 12. I think in the US it is recommended between 11 and 14. I waited with my oldest because I had heard that it lasts about 10 years and I wanted the protection longer (I don’t know if that is actually true). With my next, I had him get it yesterday because we were there and his brother was getting one. 

18 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

So your kids don’t get any shots?

If you get your kid vaccinated for polio, before they can give consent, when polio is actually very rare, then vaccinating them against a consequence of something as common as the sexual abuse or preteens and teenagers seems like an obvious choice.  To say “well I hope they aren’t abused” is a little odd since presumably you also hope there isn’t a polio outbreak in your community.

You cannot get HPV just from sexual abuse. It happens from rape, actual intercourse. And since it is sexual health, I do believe children should be given 100% informed consent, nothing against their will.  My sons have been told exactly what causes HPV and told they can decide on their own and no judgements from me.  And I do not buy that little girls are being raped left and right. And if I did buy that, I would also put my daughter on birth control. Why would anyone think the chances of their child being raped is so high that they would do a shot for HPV and skip the birth control? Makes no sense.  That is like saying you are putting on your seat belt and using car seats because you think there is a decent chance of a car accident, but then skipping the car insurance because you are so sure you won't get in a car accident. Why would anyone protect from one and not the other? Unless, of course, they are giving the HOV shot to be PC and not to protect their child in the case of intercourse. 

• Confused 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, Sherry in OH said:

HPV is not always sexually transmitted.  Even when sexually transmitted, fondling, sodomy, and oral sex do not cause pregnancy.   

Facts: 

• 1 in 3 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually assaulted before the age of 18 
  • 29% of all forcible rapes involve a victim under the age of 11  
  • Nearly half of all forcible fondling and sodomy victims are under the age of 12 
  • 60% of girls who have sex before age 15 were coerced by males more than 6 years older
  • Most child sexual abuse is never reported to authorities

Source: Statistics Child Sexual Abuse

• While females ages 12 to 34 are the highest risk years for rape and sexual assault, 34 percent of victims under the age of 18 are also under the age of 12
  • In 2016 an estimated 57,329 children were victims of sexual assault

Source: Rainn

First, I do not buy that 1 in 3 girls are sexually abused. Second, even if I did, sexual abuse alone does not cause HPV, intercourse does. I went to these websites and they did not break down what portion of these children are being raped. and Third, if 1 in 3 girls are being sexually abused, and 1 in 6 boys, then there is a much bigger problem than HPV.  Now, I cannot find the statistics of getting HPV from any random rape, but I did find this that shows that even if someone has sex over and over again with a partner who is known to be positive for six months, there is a 20% chance of getting HPV. Do you know what the chances are of getting pregnant in the same amount of time doing the same thing? Unless there are fertility problems, it is almost certain. So again, why would a parent do an HPV shot out of enough concern that their child would get raped but not put their child on birth control? And if rape were such a huge issue with the 11 yr old crowd, why are we not hearing about this big rape problem in our country, seeing tons of abortions and charges brought? https://www.livescience.com/16665-hpv-transmission-rates-20-percent.html

• Confused 2

Well, Janeway, if you "don't buy" this, then cite YOUR source that says otherwise. Because your not wanting something to be true isn't a valid source. (Though I will note that the 1 in 3 source you're arguing against refers to "sexual assault" and not "rape". There may be a fine distinction there - as I posted above, I could only find a source stating approximately 8% of youths under 18 have been raped. If all rapes are sexual assaults but not vice versa then both these numbers can be correct.)

And if rape were such a huge issue with the 11 yr old crowd, why are we not hearing about this big rape problem in our country, seeing tons of abortions and charges brought? https://www.livescience.com/16665-hpv-transmission-rates-20-percent.html

Do you imagine that rape only consists of PIV activities with no condoms?

As far as HPV transmission goes, you're wrong about that too: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/hpv/basic_info/hpv_oropharyngeal.htm

Finally, I notice that you still have not explained why you treat this vaccine as a sexual health issue, different from all other vaccines. Unless you're saying that your children have not received any vaccinations at all, in which case you should be clear so we stop questioning your weird, weird, weird distinction here.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Where are you getting the bolded piece of information?  I think you are confusing HPV and HIV, which are very different diseases in how they are trasmitted.  

Also, as to the underlined, how do you not know that child sexual abuse is an enormous problem in this country?  

I rely on statistics from places like the CDC and WHO, not politically affiliated places with a history of skewing statistics like RAINN. https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

I have not been able to find statistics on rape for children in the US, only stats on rates of sexual abuse of children worldwide. The rates per country vary greatly. And even within the US, it varies based on factors like socioeconomic status.  Regardless, even worldwide, the numbers are lower than RAINN claims them to be. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/childabuseandneglect/childsexualabuse.html

So — this is my understanding of the vaccine.

I can do it now (really last year) and have it paid for.  That is my insurance situation.

When my daughter is older, yes, I think I will be having discussions about birth control.

I don’t think it is a strange thing to do.  I make a lot of decisions for my kids and I think it is acceptable for me to do.

I think it’s strange that someone who is going to home school — which is a pretty big thing to take on — thinks a vaccine to prevent cancer is something where they have to wait until kids are old enough to decide for themselves.

I mean — that is clearly just an opinion or different way of looking at it.

But to me, deciding to get a vaccine is one of the smallest decisions I make on behalf of my kids.  It is one of the most inconsequential decisions I make.

I just decide to default to what is recommended by the doctors we go to and can be paid for by my husband’s insurance.  And I am confident they do the younger age because they know some of us will not have the same insurance later (and that is our situation).  

It’s just such a minor decision out of all the decisions I make, I can’t imagine letting my kids wait until they are old enough for so many things, when they are going to be in limbo if I don’t choose for them.

But the money is not the same for us either way, so maybe that is more of a factor.

I think so many things I decide are much bigger decisions, though.  That is just how I see it.

I think my choice of math program/philosophy is of much greater import and bearing than just following the standard vaccination schedule, by far.  

• Thanks 1

when it first came out, my girls were already old enough to decide for themselves.  there were cases that made the news indicating this was rushed to market, and had the potential to be dangerous.  I would not have vaccinated them with this.   2dd is a pharmacist and was reading on vaccines for fun in addition to her studies - and hasn't had it because she wasn't sexually active before she got married (and neither was her dh.).   

I think there may be a difference in opinions partly because some of us have seen more vax injuries up-close than others.  To me, vaccinations are/were not a small decision, but a rather big one, because of past vax injuries in my family / close circle.  While vax risks vary from person to person, they are not immaterial to those who experience notable side effects.

• Like 2