Menu

Throughlines/Recurring Themes

Right now, we're looking at mechanisms of empire as we compare the rise of Spain and England, starting in the late 1400s, with the Roman Empire. I'm finding looking at them as variations on a theme much more interesting than the Parade of Things Happening style of history I learned in school.

I'd like to do more of this, and not just in history.

What big ideas do you keep coming back to when teaching, even if they're not explicit in the materials you're using?

Even my very young kids reading Story of the World can see and have expressed the recurring theme of "empires have strong leadership and get big and make lots of advancements, then those leaders die and they have poor or weak leadership and people invade to get the advancements and wealth they see, and the empires get small again". As they get older they learn the nuances of different situations and are better able to articulate the theme as "power corrupts". We come back to this over and over again in history, lit, philosophy, and religion. And unfortunately, in current events too 😏

• Like 1