Menu

What's on your homeschool room walls? (Need fresh ideas)

I'm looking for some new ideas and inspiration to change up our homeschool room wall posters and such.  We moved into our new house two years ago, so we've been looking at the same charts and posters for two years.  We need some fresh material for the fall!

Currently in our homeschool room (some of these are purchased and some of these are mom-made):

-- US Presidents line the room (these are my girls' favorite and they're staying up. I've been shocked how they've memorized the presidents just from having them on the wall.)
-- ABCs (I have a 3 year old)
-- Periodic Chart
-- Major Art Movements with their time periods (Renaissance, Baroque, etc)
-- 4 operations and their parts (minuend-subtrahend=difference)
-- The symbols of North Carolina (state bird, mammal, etc)
-- World Map

My kiddos range in age from 3yo to a rising 10th grade with 3 in between.

I've noticed over the past year we could really use a classification chart, so I'll make one of those.  We also have MP's timeline cards, but those almost work better with us using them as flash cards and organizing on the table every week or so.

Mind sharing what is on your homeschool walls? 

We don't have a school room and only the gazillion (exaggeration, but 8 😉 ) bookshelves give our love of learning a nod.  I tried at one point when ds was really little to hang up learning posters and dh said no way.  In one house we did have an office that housed most of our school stuff and I hung up a world map and US map on the walls, but we spent so little time in there that I realized it was a great place to have as a designated "to keep" spot, but our learning was never going to take place in a "room." I do have a large cabinet in our kitchen with our microscope, globe, printer and a stack of decorative boxes on top where we keep most of our supplies.

• Like 2

Our centerpiece is a ha-yuge world map. We have another smaller of just Europe. I'd really like to find a world map with the Pacific in the middle, just to look at the different perspective.

And we have a few literature quotes I like.

I love the string light idea. I'm sort of a serious nerd, personally, and need to add some fun. 

• Like 1

These aren't in a single room, but are in various strategic places:

- National Geographic World Map

- other maps (U.S., state, some individual country maps, some marine maps too) ... we like maps!

- a frame through which I rotate the MP art posters and some of these: https://www.riverbendpress.com/shop-artist-prints (I like these better than the MP posters because the print quality is superior and they don't have a crease down the middle, but they're smaller and more expensive)

- framed art prints from the National Gallery of Art and other art museums. I can vouch for the quality of the "matted prints" at NGA and the frames they sell to fit those particular prints. They're nicely done and not terribly expensive.

- and lots of kid art!

5 hours ago, elroisees said:

I'd really like to find a world map with the Pacific in the middle, just to look at the different perspective.

Have you seen the south-up maps?

• Like 2

Some quotes we like.  One that I referenced non-stop was “Writers help the reader to see and feel the scene,” posted as a banner above the door.  I would point to it and say it over and over and to make it memorable, I’d say the “c” in scene: sKeen. “Writers help the reader to see and feel the sKeen.”  They got pretty good and showing and not just telling.  

MAPS. And I wish we have even bigger ones that are easier to see across the room.

Whiteboard, but we actually use the smaller white boards we can hold on our laps.  

A wall of bookcases. 

At times, I’d post some grammar rules to reference.

The bible verse of the week.  

Various artwork, created by the boys.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Publia said:

These aren't in a single room, but are in various strategic places:

- National Geographic World Map

- other maps (U.S., state, some individual country maps, some marine maps too) ... we like maps!

- a frame through which I rotate the MP art posters and some of these: https://www.riverbendpress.com/shop-artist-prints (I like these better than the MP posters because the print quality is superior and they don't have a crease down the middle, but they're smaller and more expensive)

- framed art prints from the National Gallery of Art and other art museums. I can vouch for the quality of the "matted prints" at NGA and the frames they sell to fit those particular prints. They're nicely done and not terribly expensive.

- and lots of kid art!

Have you seen the south-up maps?

Oh my. Now I need a south-up map!

Oooh, wouldn't that be a fabulous way to introduce a high school world history/geography program? With several maps from different perspectives? 

• Like 1

Thank y'all so much for the ideas!

I forgot that we have the MP art posters, which my kiddos love.  I might try to incorporate more of those this year.

Grammar rules, and quotes are good ideas, too.

And the string lights! I love that!  I am not always successful at being a fun mom, so that would be a nice touch.

I'm off to check out the south-up maps and other maps in general - my oldest is doing a World Geography high school course this year.  I haven't thought it through quite yet, but a variety of maps would be a great idea to add to his study.

Thank y'all! ❤

blue paint, whiteboards, maps, and self-regulation posters. But my ds has ASD2 and needs a super calm space. I usually google his grade and see what classroom teachers are doing for ideas. You will probably find plenty if you google for middle school classroom organization, decoration. I like your quotes idea. I got some smallish posters for that and had wanted to put one a month on the door as our thought of focus. Just didn't get it done, sigh. Story of my life.

I have a 6 yr old so currently: the ABCs in capital and lowercase, a poster showing place value that goes with our math curriculum, a 100s chart, Dr. Seuss preschool calendar, a small bulletin board over her desk with a chore chart, a pretty sign about homeschooling, her current Bible verse for memorization, and her latest paper from her curriculum. We hang each day's paper, then put the one we took down into a folder. 

For my high schooler: a chart showing what a prepositional phrase is and a poster of the parts of speech. On our changing bulletin board currently is a map of the battles of the Civil War and the other half has photos from early statehood from our state- flyers handed out to encourage settlers to come here, a copy of our newspaper on the day we became a state, a newspaper from a few years later telling about a time capsule that was buried (that we got to see dug up! when it happened a few years ago, and now the items are in our state history musuem.)  This board varies. Sometimes I do it definitely for the preschooler and seasonal. Sometimes I do it up with our current art projects, and often I do it to go with our current studies, like now: state history.