Menu

Is this a hormonal puberty thing? I think it's probably a hormonal puberty thing

My 11 yr old is in bed, crying, over swim goggles.

My kid's aren't on a swim team, they aren't athletic swimmers....just kids who like to play in the pool and generally can swim/tread water/hold their breath enough to have fun in the water.  Last year, we bought a 3 pk of generic walmart goggles, one for each kid (they didn't use their allowance or anything, we just bought them for fun cause they were cheap).  Two of the three kids lost theirs, and DD11 happened to find hers on Monday morning, so when we went to the pool, she brought them.  It was very much "oh hey, I found my goggles, I will bring them!"

Well, she then left them there, which she didn't remember till we were already back home, getting dinner ready.  Told her we would check Wednesday, but I didn't bring the kids today (reasons not relevant) but I was at the pool so checked lost and found.  Found goggles I thought were hers, but apparently......they aren't.  I suspect that what happened is the kid who had THESE purple ones thought that DDs were hers and that's why these were left.  

Anyway, the end result is we have a pair of goggles here of the same quality, and same color, but DD11 is in bed, crying a good hard ugly cry over "her" goggles.  

This is probably hormonal isn't it?  We are probably on the path aren't we? *sigh*

Probably hormonal, yeah.

But I would not treat her as if it is. I'm sure you won't, just giving you advice I wish I would have followed times 42.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Probably hormonal, yeah.

But I would not treat her as if it is. I'm sure you won't, just giving you advice I wish I would have followed times 42.

I have just hugged her each time she comes out, told her that I know it sucks, and then shooed her back to bed because it's almost 10pm.  

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

My oldest cries about everything and can’t tell us why 90% of the time.  She is sensitive and it’s hormones.  The second oldest just harumphs and grouches a lot, also just a different iteration of hormones.

You have just described two of my children.

• Haha 2

Probably hormones. My 11 year old boy is sometimes an angel and sometimes a person I barely recognize. We have fits of weepiness here, too, usually over things that do not make sense. 

When dd was 11, I had to feed her spoons of cream cheese or peanut butter before bed. She's always been on the thin muscular side, but she suddenly couldn't get enough food during meals.

When she got hungry, she'd get tragically depressed.  It was completely biological. Poor kid.

Maybe hormones, or maybe not feeling well? I can remember crying like that once when I was 11. I fell and skinned my knee a little bit, and I was sobbing and sobbing and couldn't stop - which was strange, because a little scrape would normally not faze me in the slightest. And then the next morning, I woke up covered in chicken pox. I remember my mom saying, "I knew something was up, because you never cry like that!" 

When I was that age I didn't understand it, but I had a couple of books that were my go-to when I needed to cry. There were times it was just building, so I'd read them and have a reason to cry hard. 

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

My oldest cries about everything and can’t tell us why 90% of the time.  She is sensitive and it’s hormones.  The second oldest just harumphs and grouches a lot, also just a different iteration of hormones.

You have just described my two girls! Oldest would come out after bedtime, crying, unable to verbalized why. She just needed a good cry every night. 

10 hours ago, elroisees said:

When dd was 11, I had to feed her spoons of cream cheese or peanut butter before bed. She's always been on the thin muscular side, but she suddenly couldn't get enough food during meals.

When she got hungry, she'd get tragically depressed.  It was completely biological. Poor kid.

It could be related to hunger.  She has a super fast metabolism and eats quite a bit, but she's also always hungry.  

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

Maybe hormones, or maybe not feeling well? I can remember crying like that once when I was 11. I fell and skinned my knee a little bit, and I was sobbing and sobbing and couldn't stop - which was strange, because a little scrape would normally not faze me in the slightest. And then the next morning, I woke up covered in chicken pox. I remember my mom saying, "I knew something was up, because you never cry like that!" 

No, she's feeling fine.  

This morning, she's totally fine, and hasn't mentioned goggles at all.  

Probably, but also, goggles are weird with kids. I have had more fits/fights/tantrums/crying over goggles than probably any other single item in my house. Same with my sister's kids. We now bring at least 3 extra pair to every event our kids will be at to prevent this. And even then...you never know. I have no idea why goggles bring this out in people. 

Probably hormones.  I know my oldest sobbed and sobbed over a pencil that dropped on the floor.  She was crying because she was tired of picking up her pencils off the floor all the time.  For about a year, once or twice a month or every other month, she would just sob over something small that any other time would not phase her.  I did start to notice a pattern that she would get grumpier and more irritable day by day, have a good long sob fest, and then be super lovely and pleasant for several days.