Menu

Update in first post - Who has buzzed their own hair?

Laura Corin

I did it! Really pleased. Before and after below.

I cracked and ordered a cordless clipper today.  Hairdressers should be open here around the end of July, but a) I hate how my hair looks - I'm pretty low maintenance, but I pay attention to my hair and glasses - and b) I don't know if I want to go into the hairdresser even then, as it will be about the time that I can start visiting my 95yo mother.  FWIW, I've offered to pay my hairdresser anyway to support the business.

Anyway, I normally have short hair and have had it shorter in the past.  I've found some good videos and I think I can do it.  Any experience?  I am used to doing the dog, and have done Husband's (very short) hair too. I'm thinking of number 8 on top and a bit shorter on the sides and back.

I don't want to ask Husband to do it - he'd be too scared I think, and that's fine.

IMG_20200606_135632202.jpg

IMG_20200606_171040969.jpg

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Well...my hair is long.  But...I recently cut 3 inches off the back by myself.  My DH needs to fix it for me -- LOL.

I ordered this yesterday to help him do my hair for awhile. https://creaproducts.com/   I posted about it on FB and some friends have actually used it and they said it does what it says it should do.  I've got about another inch before my layers are cut out and then I will just keep it straight across in the back for awhile.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I cracked and ordered a cordless clipper today.  Hairdressers should be open here around the end of July, but a) I hate how my hair looks - I'm pretty low maintenance, but I pay attention to my hair and glasses - and b) I don't know if I want to go into the hairdresser even then, as it will be about the time that I can start visiting my 95yo mother.  FWIW, I've offered to pay my hairdresser anyway to support the business.

Anyway, I normally have short hair and have had it shorter in the past.  I've found some good videos and I think I can do it.  Any experience?  I am used to doing the dog, and have done Husband's (very short) hair too. I'm thinking of number 8 on top and a bit shorter on the sides and back.

I don't want to ask Husband to do it - he'd be too scared I think, and that's fine.

I have not...but I'm getting there. I did get thinning shears and was able to get a lot off/out that way , which helped. But now we are back to "ugh" and I'm about ready to buzz it. 

• Like 1

I have shaved my head multiple times in my life. In high school, it was to be rebellious (looked great with my navy uniform skirt!) and in my 20s and 30s it was usually done during a period of stress or frustration (I don't smoke, drink, etc). I haven't done it in over a decade because DH likes me with longer hair. However, I got a short haircut in March and it's grown out a terrible mess. I have been thinking about buzzing it all off again! Sadly, my face is so much more... round...than it used to be. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I was tempted, but they are old and the guards sometimes slip.....

I have top quality professional dog clippers and Walmart variety human clippers. Shows you the priorities around here. 😉 I could use the dog clippers for DS, but I've found that human hair is much harder on blades than dog hair is. I actually brought that up with my hairdresser (she clips her dog, too) and she said yes, that's true.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rebcoola said:

DH did my hair after watching YouTube it turned out pretty good.  I'm not brave enough to do myself though

I just cut mine for the second time using my craft scissors and a few chip bag clips.  I haven't done a full cut on myself before but figured the worse that could happen is I'd need someone to even it up for me. It's not perfect but it feels so good to get the weight off!

• Like 1

I am planning to go for it later this week....... Medium length layored hair and lots of youtube has been watched.  I also have done everybody else’s hair in the family so am now comfortable with the shears..  It has been month’s for my hair as it was cut extra short last fall in hopes I could wait until April when we returned to England.  I need a strait line accross the back to measure from and Dd plans to take care of that.   She also plans to act as my assistant handing stuff etc.  I am doing it in part because I always watch roughly what my favorite hairdresser normally does.....she is in England and I am not.  

• Like 2

Not my own, but I have done the menfolk. Clippered on the bottom, scissors on the top. Except for ds20, he has an undercut shaved portion and the rest is to his shoulders. He had me do the shaved undercut but not scissor the rest. 

I’m about to do ds15s for the second time; he was the first one and now his needs attention again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d look terrible since I have scalp issues, but I’ve seen plenty of women do a half inch around the bottom and 1 inch on the top and look very smart.

I think I'll do an inch all over, then step down the sides slowly to see how it goes. I have thick, mid-grey hair.

• Like 2

I wouldn't dare! I have very fast growing, thick hair which is best thinned out by an actual hairdresser. Obviously that isn't happening right now, and my hair is a mess. Good thing I'm not going anywhere! 

I've cut everyone else's hair in the family, and recently DH offered to do mine. But he's got MS, bless him, and his fine motor control isn't what it was.. so I have declined 😉

• Like 1

Yep, I did mine last week for the first time. But I’ve cut the guys here for years so figured I could do it. It was interesting backwards in the mirror but turned out fine. Not as perfect a pixie as I get at the salon but sometimes those aren’t great either. I figured it’s summer, I wear a ball cap a lot outside, & I’m not teaching in person right now so why not!

image.jpg

• Like 16

50 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

Yep, I did mine last week for the first time. But I’ve cut the guys here for years so figured I could do it. It was interesting backwards in the mirror but turned out fine. Not as perfect a pixie as I get at the salon but sometimes those aren’t great either. I figured it’s summer, I wear a ball cap a lot outside, & I’m not teaching in person right now so why not!

image.jpg

I love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hedgehog said:

I wouldn't dare! I have very fast growing, thick hair which is best thinned out by an actual hairdresser. Obviously that isn't happening right now, and my hair is a mess. Good thing I'm not going anywhere! 

I've cut everyone else's hair in the family, and recently DH offered to do mine. But he's got MS, bless him, and his fine motor control isn't what it was.. so I have declined 😉

I bought thinning shears on amazon (technically they are dog grooming thinning shears, but same thing, lol) and they were easy to use after watching how on youtube. I have thick hair too and it has to be thinned out or it is crazy pants. 

• Like 2

My husband did an amazing job on the front and sides of his hair with an electric clippers and scissors. it’s actually the best haircut he’s had in a long time, as long as you don’t look at the back. I cleaned up the back a bit for him, but was too scared to cut very much.

• Like 1

Not since I was 20 years old.  

When I cut my hair at home now, I tend to put it in a ponytail and snip snip snip.  It gives me an angled bob that falls along my jawline.  Maybe I will do that with an undercut for summer.  What's the worst that could happen?  Not much.  

My husband cuts his own hair all of the time but all he's doing is using the clippers with no guard.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Hilltopmom that looks great! What numbers did you use?

My clippers have lengths instead of numbers, but I used either 1 in or 3/4 inch all around and then scissored the top. I would’ve taken a bit more off the top but dh kept saying “don’t make it toooo short” and I didn’t want my hair to be exactly like his, lol.

the only part I needed help with was cleaning up the neckline in back

It made a big mess in the bathroom but I needed the mirrors to do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

My clippers have lengths instead of numbers, but I used either 1 in or 3/4 inch all around and then scissored the top. I would’ve taken a bit more off the top but dh kept saying “don’t make it toooo short” and I didn’t want my hair to be exactly like his, lol.

the only part I needed help with was cleaning up the neckline in back

It made a big mess in the bathroom but I needed the mirrors to do it.

Thanks. I think 1 inch is an 8, and 3/4 is a 6. So that's roughly what I'll be starting with too.

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

You look wonderful!

Was it scary?

Hair Looks excellent and cool for summer! 

I like the longer, wavier before photo too. 

Thanks. It was a bit scary at first. 

I'm just useless at managing longer hair - I'm always walking with a hood on, or gardening bent double, or upside down on the yoga mat.

That looks great!

I feel the same way about managing longer hair...it's just something I don't want to do! Add in the fact that my hair is super thick (multiple hairdressers have said it's the thickest they've dealt with) plus my sensory hatred of hair on my neck and I will probably always have short hair. I haven't gone quite as short as you, but sometimes it's tempting!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I so envy you pixie cut gals. My face shape is not suitable for it. I did use a Brad Mondo YouTube video to take off about 4 inches, and didn’t entirely wreck it. It was actually kind of thrilling. 😆

You guys did great!

Not buzzed, but I cut DD's. Then I cut mine. Then I cut DD's again. DS buzzes his own.

Thankfully the beagle doesn't need much grooming. 😍

Edited by G5052
  • Thanks 1

Brave, you! It turned out great - you look fabulous!

I so envy those of you who can successfully pull off pixie/short haircuts. *sigh* I look like a red-headed beach ball when I've attempted it in the past - and that was probably 15 pounds ago (all of it seemed to go directly to my face...) 😕 Plus I have cowlicks that naturally throw short hair into a multitude of opposing directions - not fabulous. So, my hair is currently halfway down my back because I can't be bothered to trim it myself, don't want to go in to a salon, and it grows fast.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Thanks 1

You look great! Do you think you'll keep doing it yourself now that you've seen how nice it looks?

I'm going the opposite direction, letting mine grow (except the bangs) so I can pull it back. Chin-length is too much trouble to maintain.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

You look great! Do you think you'll keep doing it yourself now that you've seen how nice it looks?

I'm going the opposite direction, letting mine grow (except the bangs) so I can pull it back. Chin-length is too much trouble to maintain.

I'm tempted just to do it myself. I'd want to get a second guide comb so I could take it a tad longer if I wanted. I would feel bad abandoning my hairdresser though.

I agree with you: long or short are the convenient options.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm tempted just to do it myself. I'd want to get a second guide comb so I could take it a tad longer if I wanted. I would feel bad abandoning my hairdresser though.

Your hair looks great!

I do kind of wonder about the no longer going to the hairdresser trend.  I suspect Dd has hired me for life....at least for the duration of long hair that can go months without a trim.  Ds loves the fact that I am a quicker, no time wasted, option.  I am free too! 😂. They both liked that.....

As for my hair, I am still waiting for bright morning sunlight with Dd availiable to assist.  We have had several days of rainy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, Laura Corin said:

Thanks. It was a bit scary at first. 

I’ve been cutting my own for years, but not shorter than shoulders. That might give me courage to go shorter.  

For one thing, hair plus facemasks etc is feeling very hot and cumbersome!

On 6/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, Laura Corin said:

I'm just useless at managing longer hair - I'm always walking with a hood on, or gardening bent double, or upside down on the yoga mat.

Mine is long enough for a short ponytail, though usually just goes all over.  I guess that’s a reason to either keep hair long enough to tie back, or else go short enough to not need that.  Interesting to consider.  

• Like 1