Menu

News magazine for high school age

I'm trying to decide on a subscription for current news events for high school age.  When I was that age I enjoyed Time Magazine after they were no longer needed in an office waiting room of my parent's employer. It's been a few years since I read a Time but it felt more pop culture entertainment than I remembered from my past. Or do you have a favorite newspaper instead? We do not have cable so tv news is limited.  

I also read Atlantic monthly while living with my parents and enjoy it occasionally now. I’m not sure Ds age 14 would appreciate it as much. I might try for a library copy first, once the library reopens.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coco_Clark said:

Following.  My preteens watch CNN10 on YouTube, which had been great.  But obviously very succinct.  A written news source would be great. 

My preteens have decided that CNN10 and the new Nightly News for kids are for little kids.  

What's the best 'adult' written news that still provides lots of context?  I find that they often don't have any knowledge of recent history, to explain, say, why the world isn't real big on Putin right now.

• Like 2

My kids aren't highschool age yet (7th graders) and I don't have a perfect solution to this but I

• subscribe to our local newspaper (x2)
  • listen to our local public radio
  • subscribe to Time
  • subscribe to USA Today
  • listen to NPR

I really didn't put a ton of thought into it the magazines that I subscribed to. They're the ones that I was aware of so I signed up for them.

• Like 1

Ooo, I know just the thing: Upfront by the NYT/Scholastic. It’s a newsmagazine written specifically for teens. The accompanying lesson plans, including quizzes, discussion questions, and essay prompts, are fantastic. After my kids outgrow CNN10, we move on to Upfront.

Here’s a link:

https://upfront.scholastic.com/

Edited by fourisenough

2 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Ooo, I know just the thing: Upfront by the NYT/Scholastic. It’s a newsmagazine written specifically for teens. The accompanying lesson plans, including quizzes, discussion questions, and essay prompts, are fantastic. After my kids outgrow CNN10, we move on to Upfront.

Here’s a link:

https://upfront.scholastic.com/

This looks perfect for us, but I can't figure out how to subscribe for a homeschool instead of a whole classroom.

1 hour ago, LauraBeth475 said:

This looks perfect for us, but I can't figure out how to subscribe for a homeschool instead of a whole classroom.

Scholastic has a lot of really great magazines.

As a homeschooler you have to call to order the magazines.  Just call and tell them which magazines you want.  The magazines are only sent out during the school year, so if you call now, your subscription will start in August.

• Like 2