Menu

AP Chinese online--options?

Haven't been on here in about a thousand years, but I find myself in need of an online AP Chinese course, preferably spring semester only.  JHY has one, it looks like, and I'm trying to see if my kiddo's PSAT scores qualify him for it (he has the reading score but is 10 points shy on the math, and I can't tell if that is enough for a non-math/science class).  While I wait for their response, does anyone have another option, or any input on JHY's?  He is at a small private school, and our plan forever has been to do DE when he got to this point.  Now that the schedule is out, though, it looks nearly impossible to fit it in.  He doesn't need the credit, but he needs the accountability and the test prep; self-study is probably not going to be ideal.

I am going to be no help, but I can tell you what our experience was...unsuccessful :-) JH does have AP Chinese and my daughter qualified as far as SAT score, BUT, there is also a pre-test for AP Chinese, and they did not think she qualified after taking it. There was no way around the test, and I suppose it probably makes sense. It is probably somewhat challenging to drop into the 4th year of an ongoing class.

My daughter ended up doing a semester of Chinese at the local university that year, but then the second semester class was cancelled. She decided at that point to go back to her Chinese tutor and prep for AP Chinese that way. It is the only AP test on which she scored under a 5 :-)

She just graduated with a minor in Chinese though, and knew enough to place into second year Mandarin when she got to college.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GoodGrief1 said:

It is the only AP test on which she scored under a 5 :-)

She just graduated with a minor in Chinese though, and knew enough to place into second year Mandarin when she got to college.

I've always heard that the language APs are the hardest in which to score 5s because the majority of kids taking them speak the language at home.  My son (like your daughter, I assume) does not.  That's encouraging, though, that she placed into second-year courses in college.  Interesting about the placement test--maybe I will have him take it just to see.  I'm a little put off by the $2,000 (!!!) tuition at JHY.  DE, if I could find a course that would fit his schedule, would be a fraction of that.  Thanks for the info!

In case anyone else finds this in a search one day, I want to update with at least one option I've found:  Oregon State University offers three 100- and two 200-level Chinese courses completely online.  They are on a quarter system, and tuition is $318'ish/credit hour, which is still less than the JHY AP class and pretty much guarantees college credit, as opposed to the AP option, which does not.  I believe Northern State University in South Dakota also offers online Chinese, but I am waiting on confirmation.  The OSU option for winter quarter (January through the end of March) works out very well for my kiddo (rising junior), so that is probably where we will end up.  He may or may not then self-study for AP Chinese in May.  For his senior year, we will just hope that the on-campus DE schedule works out for a 300-level class, because I am pretty sure that he will be out of online DE options.  OR, I could just beg him to talk daily, in Chinese, with some of the native Chinese speakers at his school to keep up his language!