Menu

Good news.. probiotics & acquired food allergies

Katy

So a couple of months back someone here (forgive me for not remembering who) said she'd acquired a wheat allergy after antibiotics and after taking Elixa probiotics her allergy was gone.  I googled and found a few similar reviews in different places like reddit... 

Well about 15 years ago I had pneumonia, went on an antibiotic I didn't know I was allergic to, had a bite of whole wheat sandwich, and my throat started closing up.  I went to the hospital, got some shots (benadryl, prednisone, maybe a different antibiotic too), and ever since I haven't been able to have a trace amount of white flour without hives and my throat swelling.

I talked to DH and he reasoned that the expensive probiotics were still a lot cheaper than feeding the whole family gluten free foods, so I ordered the probiotics.  4 courses of 6 days worth, I think it was $130.  A few days ago I had something with a trace amount... no reaction.  Today I had a couple of bites of cookie.  No reaction!  My plan is to wait a few more days then try maybe half a serving of cookie or maybe a breakfast biscuit, wait a few more days and try a whole serving.  But guys, this is such a huge breakthrough for me I couldn't help but share now!    If you have acquired a food allergy after antibiotics it's worth a try.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

I didn’t acquire a food allergy after antibiotics but I did acquire horrendous, year round, seasonal type allergies, just without the “seasonal” part. About 10 years ago I got Lyme disease. The initial test was negative and it was a couple of months before I got a positive test and started antibiotics. I ended up being on the antibiotics for about 3 months. Then, the allergies started. After a couple years of misery I decided to try a Whole30 to reset my system and figure out if there was a food component. I also started taking probiotics. I did two rounds of Whole30 a couple of months apart and took probiotics faithfully. As part of Whole30 I ate probiotic foods like Kombucha and sauerkraut. When not on Whole30 I added yogurt and Kefir. The allergies improved a lot but would come back, just more mildly, if I ate too much dairy or sugar. I continued with the probiotics and that’s when I decided to do the second Whole30. The allergies have been gone ever since. 

Now I’m on antibiotics for a new lyme infection. This time I’m taking probiotics too and will be continuing after I’m done with the meds. Hopefully I can avoid a repeat of the allergy nightmare. 

• Like 4

Yay! I also was able to use probiotics to reduce acquired food allergies also. Heads up re: my experience—I will still react after any subsequent administration of antibiotics or when my overall allergy load is high. It takes about 3 months of probiotics after each abx for me to reduce that gut permeability/food intolerance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I went a little crazy last night and had a bunch more wheat.  No reaction.  I'm so happy!

That's awesome! 

Did you pick out the probiotics yourself or have help? you said "4 courses of 6 days" which kind of sounds like they were 'prescribed' 

53 minutes ago, katilac said:

That's awesome! 

Did you pick out the probiotics yourself or have help? you said "4 courses of 6 days" which kind of sounds like they were 'prescribed' 

The person on the boards who recommended them said she'd used a brand called Elixa, which is what I used.  The company sells 6-day courses, or at a slight discount you can buy 4 courses at a time, I think it was $130 for the 4 courses.  They claim to be much more powerful than other brands, and for the first several weeks I did what the other thread recommended and had greek yogurt with a bit of potato starch mixed in to encourage the probiotics to take hold.  But I didn't send DH for an extra grocery trip when we ran out.  I was also following the plan of this kindle book I found, The 50 Food Challenge and trying to eat as wide a variety of foods as I could during the month (without extra trips to the grocery store that is).  I think the goal was more than 50 (real food) ingredients per week, but I was well over 100.   I have a pretty good variety of non-gluten grains, beans and spices in the pantry that helped with that.

https://www.elixa-probiotic.com/

I don't know if it's okay to link directly to their website (please moderators remove it if it's not allowed, I have no affiliation to them at all other than that it worked for me), but I found the company site located in the USA with google. I think it shipped from New Jersey, and I'm in the midwest so it only took a few days.

It also affected me in other ways.  I had irritable bowels before I took them, and I definitely had a fructose and onion intolerance.  If I had too much onion or fruit I'd end up on the toilet for a couple of days.  And I'd have bad heartburn with both.  Both situations stopped before the end of the second packet (day 12), and I even started to crave onions.  DH was talking about ordering a 6-day pack for himself to see if it would help his heartburn because he's jealous that I can eat onion now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Katy,

you mentioned eating Greek yogurt with potato starch at first, to help it take root...what form of potato starch?  like, some baked potato, or is it an ingredient or spice somewhere? 

I am thinking of ordering this for my son-in-law, he's having bowel/ food problems. 

On 5/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, Hen said:

Katy,

you mentioned eating Greek yogurt with potato starch at first, to help it take root...what form of potato starch?  like, some baked potato, or is it an ingredient or spice somewhere? 

I am thinking of ordering this for my son-in-law, he's having bowel/ food problems. 

I just ordered some potato starch from Amazon.  It's an ingredient like corn starch, and many grocery stores carry it because it was a fad among paleo dieters for a while.  Your body doesn't digest it, but it feeds healthy bacteria, which release some compounds that attack colon cancer, make you happier, give you vivid dreams, and give you gas (not particularly smelly gas, but a noticeable increase in volume).

That's wonderful!!! I see the first probiotic listed is l plantarum. This probiotic strain has changed my life. My depression that I suffered with for a long time is gone. So much health improvement. Energy again!! I don't have anaphylactic food responses, so I can't contribute to that conclusion conversation.

L. Plantarum is one of a very, very few probiotic strains that actually colonizes the guy. Almost every other strain is merely transient and passes through.

I buy Jarrow because they are independently tested and always come out shining in other supplement testing.

I but the three pack because it's ridiculously cheap at only 13ish dollars a box.

This strain does not need refrigeration!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OYII4E/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_K3Y1EbCZTWXCD

Screenshot_20200602-215134.png

On 5/31/2020 at 12:56 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

Yay! I also was able to use probiotics to reduce acquired food allergies also. Heads up re: my experience—I will still react after any subsequent administration of antibiotics or when my overall allergy load is high. It takes about 3 months of probiotics after each abx for me to reduce that gut permeability/food intolerance.

Have you tried Florastor? Could zap that back, or at least works for me. I worked for years with a nutritionist trying to heal my gut, remove the chemical sensitivities and food allergies. It worked, but I was like dude you mean all I had to do was buy a box of Florastor? LOL  Not exactly, but still. Also she had theories about using cayenne to stimulate your gut to heal. 

On 5/31/2020 at 11:21 AM, Katy said:

I went a little crazy last night and had a bunch more wheat.  No reaction.  I'm so happy!

So I've been thinking about this. Did you have die off or crazy headaches when you did this protocol? I remember one time I took several probiotics capsules at once (all high strength) because I was trying to use up a bottle before we flew home from vacation. Such a nasty headache. So I wasn't sure if that was a die off thing from taking so much at once or if it was just a sign I'm weird/sensitive in some other way, lol.

5 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Have you tried Florastor? Could zap that back, or at least works for me. I worked for years with a nutritionist trying to heal my gut, remove the chemical sensitivities and food allergies. It worked, but I was like dude you mean all I had to do was buy a box of Florastor? LOL  Not exactly, but still. Also she had theories about using cayenne to stimulate your gut to heal. 

So I've been thinking about this. Did you have die off or crazy headaches when you did this protocol? I remember one time I took several probiotics capsules at once (all high strength) because I was trying to use up a bottle before we flew home from vacation. Such a nasty headache. So I wasn't sure if that was a die off thing from taking so much at once or if it was just a sign I'm weird/sensitive in some other way, lol.

No, I felt fine.  Maybe on the 2nd & 3rd day I felt flutters in my lower tummy.  A bit like in the second trimester when you're not sure if it's kicking or gas bubbles you feel yet.  No, a lot like that.  I wondered if I should get a pregnancy test several times, but then my period started and I forgot about it until now.

And DH said I was a bit more ambitious than typical for me in terms of projects I was taking on starting from week 2, and maybe a bit less patient with kids and mess (or even DH's kitchen mess).  I never felt sick or any of those other reactions people mention.

• Thanks 1

@PeterPan, you asked if I have used Florastor. Yes, that’s what I used to overcome my food sensitivities that developed after iv antibiotics. It’s also what I use after oral antibiotics. 

I had no negative side effects like headaches or the like. I think my basic state was an absence of bacteria rather than an off-balance. I definitely have inflammatory auto-immune issues, fwiw. 

• Like 1